Earbuds vs. full size headphones

sqzdog said:
Anyone ever come up with the concept for wireless headphones for the MD? That would be cool!

Yes you can buy a set of wireless headphones at ABC Warehouse for around $12. My buddy uses them and likes them real well.

Myself I like the Big headsets. The ones you buy at a local Detector shop. There are different kinds, the cheaper ones are OK, but the more expensive one are GREAT.

As for not using a headset, bad news. Anywhere you hunt, most people don't like to hear your detector beeping while they are trying to do what ever they are doing. It is bad for the hobby. Use a headset, I know you find more with a headset.

Happy Hunting all, keep the coil to the soil. Ringfinder and USE A HEADSET!

Thanks Sandman!

Ok, I do hunt with the volume on 2 (the audio boost kicks in at 4). I thought the higher the sensitivity, the more depth capability I had. Not true? So do you suggest hunting in auto mode, or I.D. mode? In all metal (auto mode with threshold), it's like pinpoint. There is no screen ID, and no discrimination.

In I.D. mode, I can get discrimination and screen I.D., but I don't think I've ever heard it make any other noise other than a beep in that mode, even on deep targets. Sometimes I'll get a broken beep where I think the machine is trying to disc out the target once in a while. So I'm not sure which mode you're suggesting I hunt in.

sqzdog said:
Anyone ever come up with the concept for wireless headphones for the MD? That would be cool!
They actually do make those. I saw some for sale for about $70.00. Tsgman

Ive tried both, but the full size headphones work much better for me. I use koss headphones and have never had any trouble with them......and I have thourghly abused them over the years!! With my samll headphones I found that I was missing a number of deeper targets!!
Good luck!! Keep us updated on which you choose and how they work for you!!
hikermike

doyboy said:
Dug, you won't know how many coins you have walked over, unless, another detectorist, with headphones, followed your steps. Some of those Romans are weeping for a home.

The only person behind me with headphones would have to be doing it at night. What I don't pick up 1 year the plough does for me ready for the next. I miss very little after 10 years of hitting the same spots.

So.... If I wanted to get a set of headphones, what is the cheapest type I should buy that would do a decent job?

I am getting ready to upgrade my MD, and I would like to try a set, but can't (or wont spend) the same amt for headphones that I spend on my new MD. I tried to use a set my son had for his stereo and they didn't plug in to the MD.

Also, if I am out looking, is there a certain type of adapter I look for that is generic to fit a Garrett 250?

Price isn't as Important as,
Mono Or Stereo & Range of Tones.

Adapters can be bought for the Plug.

BUT, I personally wouldn't Purchase a pair that
wasn't Advertised as For Detectors.
(I have in Emergencies & Hated them)

Since I don't own a 250

Someone else will need to Reccomend a Specific Pair
& type.

Cheese, have you ever dug one of those chipped beeps that you thought the detector was trying to disc. out? As for the higher sensitivity settings taking away some depth, you should read Andy Sabisch's book, Advanced Treasure Hunting with the Fisher Quicksilver Series Metal Detectors. He gives a better explanination than I have room for here. Arthur CJC tells the same things about the use of to much sensitivity with the Minelabs too.

Either mode is fine, Auto or ID mode, you just have to retrieve the tiny sounds for the deep targets. I have a friend that always finds deep and sometimes tiny good targets with her Tesoro Tiger Shark because she digs what she calls, "ALMOST A SOUND." Now the way I see it is, there is either a sound or there isn't. The fact that she is blonde only conforms her ability to find more gold or coins. We kid her on her not even needing batteries in her detector.

Check out the Black Widow and Grey Ghost headphones. You get what you pay for. Cheap ones don't cut it. Time is the most important thing you have, why waste it swinging a cheap detector or one you can't hear well?

HH,
Sandman

Sandman, I must be Blond Too, Because,
Even though It's hard to Explain,
I know what she means by Almost a Sound.
I call them Whispers ;D

I agree with everyone here who says to get a good pair of headphones that covers the ears.

One of the big reasons that I like them, even in the HOT summer weather is that it blocks out wind noise, traffic noise, other people, etc.

As for dugfinds..... you are really missing out on a lot more than you probably think you are. What kind of machine are you using? Unless it is a Garrett with a single loud annoying tone for each target then I bet you are walking over some good signals.

I know with my Minelab that if I didn't have headphones and wasn't able to analyze a lot of the signals that I hear then I wouldn't have done as well last year as I did.

cheese said:
I'm not sure I follow this completely. The faint noises you'd miss without headphones...what faint noises are these? Are you talking about the change in threshold, or the faint hum over a deep target in all-metal mode? (true all-metal...where all you get is the single tone/threshold noise over targets).

I use a fisher CZ7, and there is no option...I must use headphones as this unit does not have a speaker. I just use walkman type headphones because of comfort, heat, weight, and so that I can hear sounds in my environment as well. I hunt in disc mode (3 tones, low for iron, medium for aluminum/gold/nickel, and high for copper/silver/clad). I haven't ever heard a very faint "beep" in this mode. So, are there beeps I'm missing? Or are we just talking about all metal mode here?

Not to carry this too far off topic, but while I hit on the subject... Does anyone still hunt in the old-fashioned all metal mode anymore? I've never done it, and can't see how. When I go to that mode on my machine, I hear noises all over. I guess there's so much junk in the ground around here. In one sweep, I can be sure to hear 3 to 15 targets in that mode in most any place I hunt. How do you determine which ones are coins or something worth digging? I understand that there is more depth gained from the machine in that mode, but if I can't discern anything from the noises, it's not doing me any good. If there is, however, a way to do this, I would love to know! I am hunting some sites where there are very old coins, but they are deep and it takes a lot of work and just as much luck to get a beep off of one.

I use all-metal in farm fields with heavy iron content. Of course I use an Explorer and I think this makes all-metal a lot more bearable than some other machines would allow. You hear literally dozens of targets per swing in some of these fields and then will hear something just a little bit off or different in tone.... and then you slow your swing down and locate that target by itself and the true tone of that target will come out of all of the iron.

bscofield6 said:
I agree with everyone here who says to get a good pair of headphones that covers the ears.

One of the big reasons that I like them, even in the HOT summer weather is that it blocks out wind noise, traffic noise, other people, etc.

As for dugfinds..... you are really missing out on a lot more than you probably think you are. What kind of machine are you using? Unless it is a Garrett with a single loud annoying tone for each target then I bet you are walking over some good signals.

I know with my Minelab that if I didn't have headphones and wasn't able to analyze a lot of the signals that I hear then I wouldn't have done as well last year as I did.

cheese said:
I'm not sure I follow this completely. The faint noises you'd miss without headphones...what faint noises are these? Are you talking about the change in threshold, or the faint hum over a deep target in all-metal mode? (true all-metal...where all you get is the single tone/threshold noise over targets).

I use a fisher CZ7, and there is no option...I must use headphones as this unit does not have a speaker. I just use walkman type headphones because of comfort, heat, weight, and so that I can hear sounds in my environment as well. I hunt in disc mode (3 tones, low for iron, medium for aluminum/gold/nickel, and high for copper/silver/clad). I haven't ever heard a very faint "beep" in this mode. So, are there beeps I'm missing? Or are we just talking about all metal mode here?

Not to carry this too far off topic, but while I hit on the subject... Does anyone still hunt in the old-fashioned all metal mode anymore? I've never done it, and can't see how. When I go to that mode on my machine, I hear noises all over. I guess there's so much junk in the ground around here. In one sweep, I can be sure to hear 3 to 15 targets in that mode in most any place I hunt. How do you determine which ones are coins or something worth digging? I understand that there is more depth gained from the machine in that mode, but if I can't discern anything from the noises, it's not doing me any good. If there is, however, a way to do this, I would love to know! I am hunting some sites where there are very old coins, but they are deep and it takes a lot of work and just as much luck to get a beep off of one.

I use all-metal in farm fields with heavy iron content. Of course I use an Explorer and I think this makes all-metal a lot more bearable than some other machines would allow. You hear literally dozens of targets per swing in some of these fields and then will hear something just a little bit off or different in tone.... and then you slow your swing down and locate that target by itself and the true tone of that target will come out of all of the iron.

I've used every type of headphone, & I know exactly what I'm missing.

I like the behind the ear headphones for summer use, full ear cover for winter. The behind the head type are light weight, covers more than the ear buds and has a soft cushy foam that feels comfortable. The ear buds have lousy tone and make my ears sore after a couple of hours. And the earphones for an ACE 250 has to be stereo as mono. won't work. Monty

bscofield6 said:
dugfinds said:

Then why continue missing things?

Didn't you read my previous, about ploughed fields. I leave very little in the ground.

dugfinds said:
bscofield6 said:
dugfinds said:

Didn't you read my previous, about ploughed fields. I leave very little in the ground.

Why The Debate ?

Dugfinds, Good to hear you have Excellent Hearing.

& I Know there are no Laws that say You Need to Wear them.

So

ROCK ON MAN ! ;D

Jeff

jeff of pa said:
dugfinds said:
bscofield6 said:
dugfinds said:

Why The Debate ?

So

ROCK ON MAN ! ;D

Jeff

I'm Rocking ;D

cheese said:

Not to carry this too far off topic, but while I hit on the subject... Does anyone still hunt in the old-fashioned all metal mode anymore? I've never done it, and can't see how.

I use a Musketeer Advantage and it is a "silent search" machine with no display of any type. It's all about the sounds for me. Mine has a vocabulary of a couple dozen sounds. A "click" or consonent sound on either side of the beep tells me it's likely trash. Squeeks and squawks are bad, nice round smooth beeps (vowel sounds) are good. I get very faint signals on the deep coins.

I have a set of Black Widows that I really like. Block out all but the loudest background noise and register murmurs, but have level protection so I don't blow my eardrums on a Coke can.

When I search in the woods or foundations I set the dicsrimination very low. Not the "All Metal", as I seem to do better with just a hair of mineral discrimination but with iron still in bounds. Trashy sites I still keep nickel silver (about 4/10ths of the dial) and have no masking ranges, so I dig a lot of litter. I've also found some surprises that would probalbly have been masked out (rings, chains, small lockets, small RR, bus & trolley tokens, etc.)

jeff of pa said:
dugfinds said:
bscofield6 said:
dugfinds said:

Why The Debate ?

So

ROCK ON MAN ! ;D

Jeff
I wish I could make the finds that you do Dugfinds. ;D To each his own, whatever works. I also have better than excellent hearing. Maybe thats one reason I dont use headphones all the time. I also dont like someone sneaking up on me. I have a half headphones for one ear that I like to use in bad neighborhoods.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back