Earbuds vs. full size headphones

I think there's a time and place for both types of head phones. If your not compfertable, you wont stay long or enjoy yourself as much. I always use the ones that cover the entire ear when needed. Next to a busy street, windy/cold weather, crowded areas Etc... I will use the ear buds in a quiet park, very hot days, bad area Etc... I agree and disagree with some of the opinions here but if you do what works for you, you'll be fine. Make sure you get high quality stereo ear buds and you wont miss much. Either way an extension for the cord is a must, I hate it when the head phones get ripped off your ears because the cord's to short.

HH to all

Sparkymaster

Beeep Beeep! I know I would get annoyed at hearing that if I weren't into the hobby and I was out looking at birds or somethin.. I prefer headphones just because of the noise I think I cause. My son and I went out around Christmas ( he was testing his new Prizm II ) and we didn't take along headphones. Boy the amount of people looking at us and coming over to us was amazing.. Personally I kinda like the ability to blend into the background.. but that's just me.. To each his own.. Sony and others are making newer earbuds that insert like an ear plug.. I used to have a pair ( got stolen ) they were great.. Wished I had those now.. be an interesting test to see how well they would work.

Happy Hunting..

J.J.

I use a whites M6 and am fairly new to the hobby . I have found some pretty nice stuff for a rookie . I use a pair of jvc 20 dollar headphones that are probably closer to a walkman style headphone than the earmuff ones . Can anyone reccomend a better one ? Or are the ones I use just fine ? Also , I lurk here quite often , and this is one of the most interesting threads I have read .

Ohio_Jason said:
I use a whites M6 and am fairly new to the hobby . I have found some pretty nice stuff for a rookie . I use a pair of jvc 20 dollar headphones that are probably closer to a walkman style headphone than the earmuff ones . Can anyone reccomend a better one ? Or are the ones I use just fine ? Also , I lurk here quite often , and this is one of the most interesting threads I have read .

Welcome to Tnet from the UK. Yes an interesting thread, maybe I stirred it up alittle. But debates are healthy, I think in the US its a good idea to use headphones. The type of land I do means that any coins below plough depth would be out of range of my detector. Therefore as the the coins etc get moved within the plough soil to mid-shallow depth I pick them up. If they are deeper I will pick them up next year, or the year after, or the year after that until there isn't even a iron nail or a 2mm piece of lead.

dugfinds said:
bscofield6 said:
I agree with everyone here who says to get a good pair of headphones that covers the ears.

One of the big reasons that I like them, even in the HOT summer weather is that it blocks out wind noise, traffic noise, other people, etc.

As for dugfinds..... you are really missing out on a lot more than you probably think you are. What kind of machine are you using? Unless it is a Garrett with a single loud annoying tone for each target then I bet you are walking over some good signals.

I know with my Minelab that if I didn't have headphones and wasn't able to analyze a lot of the signals that I hear then I wouldn't have done as well last year as I did.

cheese said:
I'm not sure I follow this completely. The faint noises you'd miss without headphones...what faint noises are these? Are you talking about the change in threshold, or the faint hum over a deep target in all-metal mode? (true all-metal...where all you get is the single tone/threshold noise over targets).

I use a fisher CZ7, and there is no option...I must use headphones as this unit does not have a speaker. I just use walkman type headphones because of comfort, heat, weight, and so that I can hear sounds in my environment as well. I hunt in disc mode (3 tones, low for iron, medium for aluminum/gold/nickel, and high for copper/silver/clad). I haven't ever heard a very faint "beep" in this mode. So, are there beeps I'm missing? Or are we just talking about all metal mode here?

Not to carry this too far off topic, but while I hit on the subject... Does anyone still hunt in the old-fashioned all metal mode anymore? I've never done it, and can't see how. When I go to that mode on my machine, I hear noises all over. I guess there's so much junk in the ground around here. In one sweep, I can be sure to hear 3 to 15 targets in that mode in most any place I hunt. How do you determine which ones are coins or something worth digging? I understand that there is more depth gained from the machine in that mode, but if I can't discern anything from the noises, it's not doing me any good. If there is, however, a way to do this, I would love to know! I am hunting some sites where there are very old coins, but they are deep and it takes a lot of work and just as much luck to get a beep off of one.

I use all-metal in farm fields with heavy iron content. Of course I use an Explorer and I think this makes all-metal a lot more bearable than some other machines would allow. You hear literally dozens of targets per swing in some of these fields and then will hear something just a little bit off or different in tone.... and then you slow your swing down and locate that target by itself and the true tone of that target will come out of all of the iron.

I've used every type of headphone, & I know exactly what I'm missing.
bscofield6 said:
dugfinds said:
I've used every type of headphone, & I know exactly what I'm missing.

Then why continue missing things?
*snicker*

When purchasing headphones, be sure they are more than 8 ohms. For crispness of sound, there is a huge, huge difference between 8 ohms and 32 ohms and somewhat of a difference between 32 ohms and 150 ohms. The difference in price between Whites 32 ohm phones and Killer B, or Gray Ghost is around $40.

Dug, I know I don't want to hear your detector "bleeping and sputtering." I would rather have it be private, then no one knows if you are getting good signals.

If I lived in the U.K., I would probably find thousands of Roman coins a year. You guys have coin history that dates back 2,500 years. It is pretty damn easy to locate old coins in your area.

Gotta wear dem headphones! :D

I think depending upon the type of detector you have also plays a part in how comfortable hunting with our without headphones can be. I find the Garrett detectors I own are not too bad to use with no phones, but my Explorer XS, I hate hunting with if I forgot the headphones or the ones I have decided not to work properly that day.

With that said, I prefer the phones, especially since the vast majority of my hunting is in Fall, Winter and early Spring. Ocean beach hunting, headphones are an absolute must.

I use Gray Ghosts NDT's and fine them super comfortable, and great tone for Explorer's. The only downside to them is they block outside noise so much, that when I hunt with my son, I cannot hear him yell or talk to me while we are hunting together, so I usually put one earpiece off my ear to hear the outside sounds...... :)

A little side note, although I am a strict believer in using headphones, as far as statements about missing alot not using them, that all depends on the person, more than the detector and headphones.

I have a friend who has published his colonial finds in the C4 (Colonial Coin Collectors Club) newsletter and he has found more Colonials and more buttons, and artifacts of Colonial era than 99.9% of us will ever find. Guess what, he hunts the fields of NJ with no headphones! Oh, his article is on one thousand colonial coins found by him in Southern New Jersey.

I hunted with him this year and sure enough he does not use headphones, but he knows his detector very well and again, that is a major factor in your finds.

As far as the original question in the first post, I woud think using earbuds would most likely be very nice to try in hot areas where the full sized headphones are way to warm to wear in the heat of the day.

Don

Roadquest said:
What do you guys think about the Black Widow headphones, I just got mine
in the mail, and have not tried them yet....Clayton Ramey
I have the Jolly Roger headphones. I believe DetectorPro makes Black Widow headphones as well. I love the JR product. It seems the BW headphones block out
more ambient noise.
Now you can give us a review, after you try them out! ;)

Ridley

1,000 Colonial coins? Come on, dude, that is a warm-up site for me. hehehe

doyboy said:
Dug, I know I don't want to hear your detector "bleeping and sputtering." I would rather have it be private, then no one knows if you are getting good signals.

If I lived in the U.K., I would probably find thousands of Roman coins a year. You guys have coin history that dates back 2,500 years. It is pretty damn easy to locate old coins in your area.

Gotta wear dem headphones! :D

No-one hears my detector as I'm in the middle of farmland.

For those who want the best of both worlds (or the worst depending on how you look at it) check out the Rattler headphone by DetectorPro.  I just ordered mine from "www.saveyourmoneystore.com"

Hope it works like I expect it to.

I used the 'buds' in summer because they were cooler to work with. But no more.
Full coverage 'phones keep out the outside noise much better, and allow one to hear the faint target sounds, especially when there is surf noise around.
Ears are designed to 'collect' sounds and transmit them to the eardrum. Covering them completely is a plus for detecting. (And it's more plausible to ignore annoying questions when you're wearing the big ones. People tend to shake their heads and walk away.) ;D
P.S. To those who don't use headphones - you might want to find out how much extra you spend on batteries each year. Detector speakers are a large power drain compared with 'phones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back