Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That has been me. Still, you stated seller the would owe the return shipping. That simply isn't true. It might be your opinion and the way you see it, but it isn't a fact. I have issued a couple of refunds and you can't even include return shipping. I ended up having to go through paypal to do it.

No, it's not a fact, just good business practice. Just because eBay "says so" doesn't mean it's best practice. If you know how to use PayPal it's very simple to reimburse someone. I'm not here to tell you how to run your auctions, just telling you how I've successfully run mine. In the end, we can agree to disagree. Everyone has their unique way of doing business so whatever floats yer boat.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I totally agree but sometimes you just gotta let it go. I gave an $80 refund and knew that the buyer was full of crap... Problem was that the correspondence was through my personal email and not through eBay messaging so there's no way I could prove the extortion, which it was. I've never really feared negative feedback but I could tell that this guy was a piece of work and it wasn't worth ruining my reputation over. That's a whole other thread which I may share some time. Besides, I bought the item for $5 and sold it for $80 so... oh well.

It was a sad, sad day when eBay decided to "protect the buyer" by giving them immunity from negative feedback. We are eBay's employees, the playing field should be level.

Was this recently?

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with WIT on this one. You did the right thing now forget it and move on. I've been selling on eBay for over 12 years with well over 10,000 feedback and have 100% rating. Feedback is everything on eBay and don't let anyone tell you different. I won't buy from someone with poor feedback and if I see you have a good amount of feedback with very little or no bad feedback I buy from you all day long. You may think this guy is trying to get over on you and rightfully so but it may also be exactly what he said so without proof one way or the other you have to give the buyer the benefit of the doubt. BTW... I use so much tape that you could literally play football with most of the stuff I ship. Tape is cheap. I probably pizz the buyer off sometimes but they get their item every time.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a sad, sad day when eBay decided to "protect the buyer" by giving them immunity from negative feedback. We are eBay's employees, the playing field should be level.
A year or two ago I gave a negative f/b to a buyer.

It went like this: Great ebayer. one FB point and he backed out on this auction.
Just checked and it is still there.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A year or two ago I gave a negative f/b to a buyer.

It went like this: Great ebayer. one FB point and he backed out on this auction.
Just checked and it is still there.
I left one once that read... A wonderful ebayer, didn't pay but she bid anyway.
It was never removed neither. The bad part is it still shows as positive fb.

I received my only negative feedback maybe 10 years ago, it was from a seller. I bought some press photos that were listed as mint and their were small tears in a few of them. He refused to refund (upon return) or partial credit me, so I let him have it. Back then you could still give neg fb to buyers. They should still allow it as far as i'm concerned even though my own example was unjustified.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was this recently?

Yes, it was a few months ago and here's the scoop... I bought a camera at a yard sale for $5, listed it for $9.95+ free shipping... The final price was a little over $80 so everything's going great at this point... A few days later I receive this email from the buyer:
-------
Dear Sir
I've received the camera. And after two roll of film to test. I find the camera is not in excellent condition. It have some light leak. And most important , about 50% photo can't focus normally. It may because the swing lens and shutter can't wrok properly. So I will return the camera and ask a fully refund USD 83.55 and hopshopgo's handling fee USD 39.72 , and the return shipping fee USD 35 . The total is USD 158.27. Please let me know what is your decision. Thanks.
-------
SO... On top of wanting me to pay a "handling fee" to return the item, they wanted me to pay $35 postage on an item that costs a little over $5 to send from Oregon to Minnesota. Basically, he tried to double his money at my expense. Needless to say, I was extremely pizzed off at this point. I kept my composure and refunded the $80 and explained that this this transaction is over and I don't want to see the camera again so keep it.

This was sent to my personal email and not through eBay so it would be hard to report any type of extortion but I still may pursue it just on principle. In the meantime, I'm blowing it off and moving on... Easy come, easy go. I won't let this jerk spoil my business.

p.s. I did a Google search on his company name shortly after and found many poor reviews.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it was a few months ago and here's the scoop... I bought a camera at a yard sale for $5, listed it for $9.95+ free shipping... The final price was a little over $80 so everything's going great at this point... A few days later I receive this email from the buyer:
-------
Dear Sir
I've received the camera. And after two roll of film to test. I find the camera is not in excellent condition. It have some light leak. And most important , about 50% photo can't focus normally. It may because the swing lens and shutter can't wrok properly. So I will return the camera and ask a fully refund USD 83.55 and hopshopgo's handling fee USD 39.72 , and the return shipping fee USD 35 . The total is USD 158.27. Please let me know what is your decision. Thanks.
-------
SO... On top of wanting me to pay a "handling fee" to return the item, they wanted me to pay $35 postage on an item that costs a little over $5 to send from Oregon to Minnesota. Basically, he tried to double his money at my expense. Needless to say, I was extremely pizzed off at this point. I kept my composure and refunded the $80 and explained that this this transaction is over and I don't want to see the camera again so keep it.

This was sent to my personal email and not through eBay so it would be hard to report any type of extortion but I still may pursue it just on principle. In the meantime, I'm blowing it off and moving on... Easy come, easy go. I won't let this jerk spoil my business.

p.s. I did a Google search on his company name shortly after and found many poor reviews.
Sorry for you but, it never woulda happened that way with me. Those emails would have been forwarded directly to ebay at the same time I was on the phone with a rep.. I would do everything in my power to get them permanently suspended.

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-------
Dear Sir
-------

It looks like some type of "international shipping company"
They are basically a middle man that buys for someone from outside the US. I would have directed them to only contact me through ebay.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-------
Dear Sir
-------

That's definitely an example where I would stand my ground because I would not pay out to an obvious fraud. Plus chances are you would be able to have Ebay remove a negative if one was left. I'd offer the guy a refund, and be reasonable about the whole thing even if it cost me a few dollars, but I certainly would not comply with his terms.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like am dealing with an issue now. I sold a detector and now 10 days after he received it the buyer is saying it doesn't work right. I told him to return it and I would refund purchase price and shipping. He replied back that I'm supposed to just give it to him after 14 days.

His english isn't good and I gather he wants to keep the detector and get a refund. He only has 11 feedback (100%) and one is a disguised negative. I checked the feedback he has left for others, 2 negative, 1 neutral, 1 positive. I guess I will find out how ebay's seller protection works.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like am dealing with an issue now. I sold a detector and now 10 days after he received it the buyer is saying it doesn't work right. I told him to return it and I would refund purchase price and shipping. He replied back that I'm supposed to just give it to him after 14 days.

His english isn't good and I gather he wants to keep the detector and get a refund. He only has 11 feedback (100%) and one is a disguised negative. I checked the feedback he has left for others, 2 negative, 1 neutral, 1 positive. I guess I will find out how ebay's seller protection works.

Yes, either have the detector in hand or force him to file a Paypal claim. Once he puts the claim in, you agree to refund it, and he has to supply tracking and probably a signature that you received it. It might also be a good idea to open it right at the post office with an employee as a witness, because if he sends you other junk and not the detector, and you open it home, you really have no chance to recover anything, and no charge would stick when it's his word against yours.

PS: With so few feedback he might be new to it all, and feel that he is in a bad position that you have his money, and now you want the detector back up front. You might even want to suggest he file the claim so neither of you have the upper hand.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread