Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few months back I purchased this spoon off of Ebay where the seller claimed it was a 17th century pewter spoon. After receiving the spoon I agree that it's both pewter and, well, a spoon, but I'm not sure of the time period. I can't find an example of the maker's mark anywhere that could help me date this so I'm hoping there is a pewter spoon expert on here that could help me. Thank you.

IMG_5086.jpg

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a few similar. They have been coming out of probably Europe for the last year or more. Yours is probably 17th Century. By the 18th Century they took a more modern shape.

Upvote 0

Sentrom

Oct 18, 2012
Near Chicago
Detector(s) used
Pioneer EX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do believe that the pewter spoon is from Holland. HK Hendrik Kamphof (werkzaam 1864 - 1923) Zwolle, Holland.
Here is a copy of their maker's mark:
HK.jpg

Upvote 0

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few months back I purchased this spoon off of Ebay where the seller claimed it was a 17th century pewter spoon. After receiving the spoon I agree that it's both pewter and, well, a spoon, but I'm not sure of the time period. I can't find an example of the maker's mark anywhere that could help me date this so I'm hoping there is a pewter spoon expert on here that could help me. Thank you.

View attachment 1262599

Joey just go find some. Those 17th century spoons are so easy to find complete :laughing7: in all seriousness that is a really nice looking spoon. Something about the shape of those early ones that makes them so distinct from the more modern ones. I've been lucky to find a few very early spoons and frags. I really want to find an apostle knop spoon. Maybe in 2016 when I get back to spoon site. Take care bud

Upvote 0
OP
OP
joeyfresh

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do believe that the pewter spoon is from Holland. HK Hendrik Kamphof (werkzaam 1864 - 1923) Zwolle, Holland.
View attachment 1263000

Damn Ebay!! :laughing7:

I had a feeling it wasn't "old" which is why I posted it. Thanks for the research and ID Sentrom :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
joeyfresh

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joey just go find some. Those 17th century spoons are so easy to find complete :laughing7: in all seriousness that is a really nice looking spoon. Something about the shape of those early ones that makes them so distinct from the more modern ones. I've been lucky to find a few very early spoons and frags. I really want to find an apostle knop spoon. Maybe in 2016 when I get back to spoon site. Take care bud

I have bowls and handles but none complete....unlike some people I know who find two at a time. I really just posted this to show off my photography skills and give you something to strive for Abe.

Upvote 0

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have bowls and handles but none complete....unlike some people I know who find two at a time. I really just posted this to show off my photography skills and give you something to strive for Abe.

It's much easier taking pics of that modern stuff. The detail is much better on a new spoon that some dude pulled out of the silverware drawer lol. The 400 year old legit stuff is dirty and rough. Much more difficult. Hey I got 1920s silver plate I will sell you bud

Upvote 0
OP
OP
joeyfresh

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's much easier taking pics of that modern stuff. The detail is much better on a new spoon that some dude pulled out of the silverware drawer lol. The 400 year old legit stuff is dirty and rough. Much more difficult. Hey I got 1920s silver plate I will sell you bud

Keep that silver plate, I don't want your family to be eating off the floor of that hovel you call home [emoji13]

Upvote 0

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep that silver plate, I don't want your family to be eating off the floor of that hovel you call home [emoji13]

We love this freezer box bro! Hey I got some really rare indian heads I will sell you for the bargain price of $88 a piece. I swear they are worth a ton. I saw it on Ebay. Everything on the net is true lol

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1263000

Its close but not the same maker. Looks like a H I, also the crown is different, more research needed.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
joeyfresh

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We love this freezer box bro! Hey I got some really rare indian heads I will sell you for the bargain price of $88 a piece. I swear they are worth a ton. I saw it on Ebay. Everything on the net is true lol

Don't bring me into your crazy-town world of 8's.....I'll give you $77 for them

Upvote 0

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't bring me into your crazy-town world of 8's.....I'll give you $77 for them

No Mass silvers until you become a believer lol

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread