Ebay Sellers... How Many Views Do Your Items Get?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an average of 30 or so listings every week. The most views any of my items have this week is 30. Most of them have less than 10 with a dozen of them having only 1, 2 or 3 views. What gives? How do your items fair in comparison?

BTW- I price my items lower than the recent completed sales for an identical, so price isn't the issue. Many times I have the lowest price on ebay for a particular item.
:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't sell very often but most of mine generally have 10-20 views or so at the end of the auction. I don't know if that is typical, or that most people don't click because either its a niche item, or I say what I'm selling in the description and so those who aren't interested just skip it over.

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So many variables on this subject... I am newer to the game but it seems to me that there is shopper interpretation on certain things. Unless an item has damage or other things that may diminish the value, I start prices as high or higher than the last similar item sold. Prospective buyers often think that if the item is priced a little low that there may be something wrong with it and search for higher prices with the thought that the higher priced item is a better deal.:icon_scratch:

I mainly use BIN's and if something doesn't sell after a couple months, then the price either gets lowered on the low priced garbage or sometimes I re-take pictures with a different background or lighting including raising the price and it sells fast.

If an item is desirable and not getting attention, the perception to the prospective buyer through title, pricing and pictures may just need a little tweak.

This has worked for me, remember though that you are one of my teachers and what the heck do I know?
:occasion14:

jason4kstate

Jun 23, 2007
4-5 views for a run of the mill item. For the niche I would say 15-30. Although I do not think that views is a very good determinate for an item selling.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I work for a company and do this for a living now so I don't really pay attention to views any more and I put my personal ebaYing on hold until it gets cold again. I think the weather really plays a big part in peoples Internet habits in general and you probably experience this first hand... If it's nice out, you aren't in front of the screen as much... Also, there have been some bad storms throughout the country, many of which you don't even hear about and these storms knock out electricity. Depending on what you have for sale, the diehard collectors will never let items slip by but other items may go virtually unnoticed.

A totally separate issue is that about a year or so ago there were many sellers getting on ebaY's case about sales going downhill all of a sudden dues to changes that they made and items not showing up in searches, etc. That's a different animal that I'm tired of reading about but you can do some Googling and see what I'm referring to but you may already know...

If you aren't doing this to put food on the table then step back for a minute and take a short break... Start listing again in a month or so.

Best of luck

lookin-for-treasure

Jun 30, 2013
West Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been typically listing around 30 items a week. Granted a lot of my items right now aren't really collectible. I'm listing small items to move out so I can get some more stuff to sell. Out of the thirty I have at least one watcher on 12 items. As said above, it's fun to see people watching but not really a indicator of sure sells. I really like war's ideas on changing backgrounds on items not selling. I do believe it's important to give a pleasing look to what you are trying to sell. It's not an area I've went into yet, but believe there is something too it.

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river
if i put a link to my stuff on forums and other places i go to...... i get tons of views and watchers.....and if i dont ...not so many....30 prob is a good average.....

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too many factors for that question to hold any real meaning... with the main ones being what it is, the starting price, and how the bidding goes.

One of he best alternative ways besides the main points to increase views is to always do the biggest sale you can and with as many similar items as possible. Fortunately for me I can always do that with what I sell and it most definitely makes a difference.

Last edited:

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I work for a company and do this for a living now so I don't really pay attention to views any more and I put my personal ebaYing on hold until it gets cold again. I think the weather really plays a big part in peoples Internet habits in general and you probably experience this first hand... If it's nice out, you aren't in front of the screen as much... Also, there have been some bad storms throughout the country, many of which you don't even hear about and these storms knock out electricity. Depending on what you have for sale, the diehard collectors will never let items slip by but other items may go virtually unnoticed.

A totally separate issue is that about a year or so ago there were many sellers getting on ebaY's case about sales going downhill all of a sudden dues to changes that they made and items not showing up in searches, etc. That's a different animal that I'm tired of reading about but you can do some Googling and see what I'm referring to but you may already know...

If you aren't doing this to put food on the table then step back for a minute and take a short break... Start listing again in a month or so.

Best of luck

I agree with Views being nothing. Watchers, on the other hand, are HUGE. If you build up 5 or 10 watchers, all you need is one bid, and the cat is out of the bag. I will get an item with 10 watchers and no bidders. If it ends, I will re-list with a $.99 start and it will sell... HUGE.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Views being nothing. Watchers, on the other hand, are HUGE. If you build up 5 or 10 watchers, all you need is one bid, and the cat is out of the bag. I will get an item with 10 watchers and no bidders. If it ends, I will re-list with a $.99 start and it will sell... HUGE.
I had an item with 23 watchers a couple weeks ago. Had 111 views total. Had it listed for 49.99 start. Only one listed on Ebay for several months, only the second one listed in over a year. Last one sold for close to $200. Mine got 2 bids and sold for 50.99.
As for the factors to give the question some "real meaning," I try to sell mostly unique, htf/rare, unusual, vintage, name brand, collectible stuff. 20 of my 33 listings are the only ones listed on ebay right now. As I stated previously, my prices are lower than what the last one sold for if there was one recently. The bidding is for 7 days, starting and ending on Sunday evenings 10pm est., every now and then I will list something on Monday night. So more than 5 days of viewing as I wrote this, this morning. Similar items do get listed during the same week as I know from my own experience that when I am bidding/buying, I search the sellers other items looking for similar or related items that I may want to bid on in order to save on shipping or throw an offer for multiple items or what have you.

I just thought the views of my items seemed a little low. Lower than they usually are anyway. I do have bids on some of them including one with only 2 views.

Last edited:

Lafitte Deux

Jan 19, 2012
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
FYI Diggumup, I read on one of the Ebay seller forums that the July 4th week is one of the slowest of the year.
That may be part of the reason.

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI Diggumup, I read on one of the Ebay seller forums that the July 4th week is one of the slowest of the year.
That may be part of the reason.

I've definitely noticed that, I have around 50 items up and not a single bid, and several have only 1 or 2 views. Good to know for the future, I'll save my good stuff for later in the month.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get between 10-20 views on run of the mill nothing special stuffs. If I put up gold, name brand, some certain old china, idk..... name stuffs or stuff ppl are interested in, it can go to 50-80.

Lots of folks have been touting summer as their slowest season. I didn't list nothing to run over the holiday. Seems ppl want to be out and do something. I've noticed it seems to be just real slow.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions