What's new

elks tooth

larson1951

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2009
Messages
4,974
Reaction score
3,894
Golden Thread
0
Location
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
friend john found this drilled elks tooth this morning
it is kinda one of the largest we ever found

IMG_0101.webp

IMG_0102.webp
 
Upvote 0
peals of the plains.....nice
 
Cool tooth find larson. You always have the best bone artifacts.
 
thank you cat and thank you uncle
 
Cool that they prized the Ivory teeth too. Nice find!
 
Starting to split. What do you put on that to make it stop breaking? Tell your friend John he saved a good one.
 
Amazing Find! :icon_thumright: I'm sure that it was once cherished by someone who used it in their ornamentation.
 
Starting to split. What do you put on that to make it stop breaking? Tell your friend John he saved a good one.

thanks rock
we are just gonna leave it alone
it has most likely been that way for hundreds of years
 
Amazing Find! :icon_thumright: I'm sure that it was once cherished by someone who used it in their ornamentation.

...used like this on clothing....

lf
 
Wow! I wonder it it a certain tooth from the elk? I know my dad had an elks tooth in silver. Another nice find. Tell John Congratulations.
 
Wow! I wonder it it a certain tooth from the elk? I know my dad had an elks tooth in silver. Another nice find. Tell John Congratulations.


We call them Elk Ivories, and they are used in jewelry (rings, earrings, etc..) Each elk as one pair, which are considered canines.


3310190279_3ca9f0c290.webp
 
Wow! I wonder it it a certain tooth from the elk? I know my dad had an elks tooth in silver. Another nice find. Tell John Congratulations.

The teeth come from the upper jaw as old diggers picture shows. They Are Ivory, and are the only Ivory found on an animal native to North America if I remember correctly. I take them from the Elk I've killed, and now have several pair.
 
here are my elks teeth that i have found over the years
note that only 5 don't have the hole worn out
also on the second image the one on the left wore out and was re-drilled and then wore out again
musta taken decades for that to happen....or maybe even longer

IMG_0110.webp

IMG_0111.webp
 
Thats amazing!!! wapiti teeth.....you have found modern day jewels!!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom