Ender indication

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some of you may have seen I got my first ender last week. Turned out to be my best box to date. 15 40% and 1 90%. Something like that. Anyways I was just curious what your experiences have been with enders. Have your BEST boxes all had at least one ender in them? Maybe your best box ever didn't have any enders? Just curious as to what you guys have experienced.

Upvote 0

Uncle Ben

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some will say Enders mean nothing....but I disagree. My best box had 7 Enders and had 102 silvers. However, I had a box with 9 Enders that only had 33 silvers. My beast box with no Enders was 15 silvers. Now having said that....Enders are not a guarantee of anything other than the silver that is showing.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think a couple yrs ago it meant a lot more than today- you got a great box with only 1 ender- ive had a total of 7 enders only 1 box had 2 enders, each of those 6 boxes had NO more than 2 ag in them
I think if you get more than 4-5 enders in 1 box its a possibility of a decent amount of ag but doesnt guarantee it any more

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once had a box with 3 silver enders and that was the only silver in the box.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MULTIPLE enders are an indicator for me for silver only. I've had boxes of pennies with 3 wheat enders and less than a dozen wheats in the entire box.

I've had boxes with a silver ender and it's the only silver in the box. You see 2, 3, 4 silvers? Probably will be good.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
I've had 2 half boxes so far this year with enders. The first ender box I got in February had 14 keepers with 1 ender - 1.4% total silver to 1% ender ratio. And I got another box earlier this month that had 20 keepers with 2 enders - an exact 2% total silver to 2% ender ratio. And my best box ever a couple of years ago had a total of 38 keepers with 2 enders - 3.8% total silver to 2% ender ratio.

But other people have had different experiences with enders. Its just hard to know what to expect or predict from box to box with this hobby.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Statistics prevail, as long as you have a big enough sample size. Every box has 100 enders (50 rolls x 2 ends). That is equal to 10% of the box. That means if you multiply the # of silver enders x 10, on average, that's how many silvers should be in the box.

My best 2 boxes had 9 and 4 enders, with 88 and 42 silvers, respectively. I've had many that didn't translate the way they should've (a box with 3 enders, but only 4 total silvers, and many with 1 or 2 enders that were the only silvers in the box, etc.).

If we all kept a spreadsheet throughout the year, I think we'd find the total # of enders to be almost exactly 10% of the total silver coins found.

kawika18

Aug 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last box I did had the only ender I have seen. It was also the only silver in the box.

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had 2 half boxes so far this year with enders. The first ender box I got in February had 14 keepers with 1 ender - 1.4% total silver to 1% ender ratio. And I got another box earlier this month that had 20 keepers with 2 enders - an exact 2% total silver to 2% ender ratio. And my best box ever a couple of years ago had a total of 38 keepers with 2 enders - 3.8% total silver to 2% ender ratio.

But other people have had different experiences with enders. Its just hard to know what to expect or predict from box to box with this hobby.

Interesting stuff.

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 Enders turned out to be a 37 silver box, 51 keeper total. Best box ever. Out of the 100 or so boxes that I've searched I've never found more than 3 silvers, or 8 keepers. So I vote hell yes!

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Enders mean nothing to me except I got at least that many keepers.

I've had multiple boxes of halves that had 40%ers as enders, and most of the time, the ender is all I find. I've gotten a couple of boxes that had double enders and that was all that was in the box.

Best box ever gave up like 3 or 4 40%ers.

With nickels, I got two war nickel enders in a box, and those were the only keepers in the box.

I don't believe in the ender theory.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with boris! If I see enders in a box - they are my only silvers

Uncle Ben

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back over this years finds and I have had 14 Enders this year. 9 of those Ender rolls had more than one silver. So Enders for me this year have been a good sign. I have never had an Ender box with the Ender being the only silver...but I see many on here have.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't see any correlation of having an Ender gives you better findings inside the roll. Considering a roll of halfs is 20-pieces, with 2-Enders, you have 2/20ths (or 1/10th) of a chance that the AG is on an end showing. Has nothing to do with the contents inside. By seeing immediately 2 of the 20 pieces, just is an indication on what's showing: one-tenth of the coins in the roll. I get clear bank bags of dimes, and if I see a white rim immediately, does not mean that I have a Mother-Load inside. In fact the bag just last week, I saw a white rim thru the plastic, but there was only 3-Rosie's out of 5000 pieces in the entire bag. Seeing that rim thru the plastic was the same as an Ender on a roll; "What's on the outside is no guarantee of what's inside".

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This was a very interesting read for me. I kind of figured there would be stat guys, and luck guys, and both have chimed in. Luck seems that it can certainly play a roll in things. What kind of surprised me is I don't remember seeing anyone say they had an exceptional box WITHOUT enders. Seems if you're gonna get a lot of silver out of a box you will probably have an ender or two. I know for certain that the ONE ender I have had so far is a feeling I am now chasing. It was just a 40% but seeing that different shade of silver in the box stuck out like a sore thumb, was really exciting. Nothing like driving home with the passenger seat belt light flashing because you have a box of halves on the seat with an ender just waiting to be searched.

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just had a 3 ender box myself last week. 2 90% kens and 1 40%. The WHOLE box have up one more 90%, and it was a Ben. I'm not complaining about 3 90's and 1 40 from one box.., but when I cracked that box open I thought I may be looking at my best box.

Edit.

My best box to date was 29 40's with only 2 Enders. So I know enders don't mean much.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread