Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have logged some serious time on the Deus too. I'm not saying the NOX is better or worse. I am saying this though I have seen it do some unmasking things with the 11 inch coil that the Deus cant do with the 9 inch coil unless the freq is changed to highest setting or lowered to lowest freq. The dime in the test video is the perfect example.

I'm guessing your result would be the same using the 11" Deus coil, but you can't discount that it could be possible the larger coil seeing a bit deeper is contributing to catching part of the signal. Also, many are now seeing why I used an Explorer for 16 years and was very happy with it. Great punching through the iron and getting masked targets; all about hearing the slightest part of a non ferrous tone and recognizing it for what it is. The Equinox is probably more forgiving do the fast recovery speed which is why you have the quick success with it. One point I will make is the higher end Minelabs have always been great at discrimination iron, especially at depth. It's a wonderful thing leaving deep nails and so much of the misc. iron junk behind, but it just makes sense to me that when it's as good as it as a side effect to that is it likely will mask a little more. That's why I would need a lot more proof the Equinox is a better all-around detector in iron. One thing I would like to do, and will do, is compare masked targets with my friends Equinox vs my Explorer... and I would take a totally blind bet right now I would see all he can see. So if I'm right that sort of says something, because I did switch to the Deus.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IP, nice to see you swinging a Deus man. I hunted on 18khz for 2 years before I ventured out and messed with 12khz. 18 worked so well for me I didn't see a reason to change it. I was digging more tiny items like cufflinks than ever before and I was digging deep coppers too.

Thanks for correcting me, is of course 18 and not 17. You also nailed the exact reason I didn't switch... like how it hits small buttons and no issue on coins either. I plan to create 3 saved patterns for this year... all three tweaked from the hot program. The first will be in very clean ground, likely drop my recovery to 1 and use 12 khz... then when slight iron but spread likely recovery at 2 and 12 khz... then in heavy iron 2.5 or 3.00 recovery and 18khz.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for correcting me, is of course 18 and not 17. You also nailed the exact reason I didn't switch... like how it hits small buttons and no issue on coins either. I plan to create 3 saved patterns for this year... all three tweaked from the hot program. The first will be in very clean ground, likely drop my recovery to 1 and use 12 khz... then when slight iron but spread likely recovery at 2 and 12 khz... then in heavy iron 2.5 or 3.00 recovery and 18khz.

No worries man.... I think it actually says 17.?? in the UI and 18 in the manual, so some call it 17 and some call it 18. Its interchangeable. If I remember correctly the .?? in the frequencies can vary slightly between machines too... but maybe I'm making that up and not remembering that correctly. As you very well know, the best settings are the settings that work for you... and I love 18khz. 18khz is what discovered a mess of 1812 cuff pewter's on a visit with Abe... the lower frequencies wouldn't make a peep on those small low conductors. I started using 12 in the last year or so in some programs as well.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A single-frequency machine can't compete with simultaneous multi-frequency detection, period. :skullflag:

Of course it can. Its never so much the machine as the operator and the site. I have seen all types detecting out there. Guys running with the machine, not knowing how to properly operate it, swinging the coil 6" off the ground, all that. The one guy who hunts a 10' x 10' site all day and the buckle was two inches down and 10 feet in the other direction. Actually saw that one in person.

And you have to have targets at your site. I can certainly go behind folks who have cherry picked a place and find items, good items, behind them. Since I don't cherry pick, they have a hard time doing it behind me.

One thing I don't particularly want to do is go to a site that has been beaten to death to look for three wheat cents worth 3 cents each and a Merc worth $1.50 on a good day to pass up a CW site that has eagle buttons at $10 a pop available. And it's no so much a money quest, I have a job for that. It's the chase for the history for me.

The site certainly matters. I for one do NOT collect coins so the Merc has absolutely no interest to me. For some, that makes their whole day, to each his own as it's said. I prefer digging history, and the whole east coast is full of history, just waiting to be stumbled on. And dug up.

Sometimes my best machine is a shovel and a pinpointer - for real.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course it can. Its never so much the machine as the operator and the site. I have seen all types detecting out there. Guys running with the machine, not knowing how to properly operate it, swinging the coil 6" off the ground, all that. The one guy who hunts a 10' x 10' site all day and the buckle was two inches down and 10 feet in the other direction. Actually saw that one in person.

And you have to have targets at your site. I can certainly go behind folks who have cherry picked a place and find items, good items, behind them. Since I don't cherry pick, they have a hard time doing it behind me.

One thing I don't particularly want to do is go to a site that has been beaten to death to look for three wheat cents worth 3 cents each and a Merc worth $1.50 on a good day to pass up a CW site that has eagle buttons at $10 a pop available. And it's no so much a money quest, I have a job for that. It's the chase for the history for me.

The site certainly matters. I for one do NOT collect coins so the Merc has absolutely no interest to me. For some, that makes their whole day, to each his own as it's said. I prefer digging history, and the whole east coast is full of history, just waiting to be stumbled on. And dug up.

Sometimes my best machine is a shovel and a pinpointer - for real.

Today, it's probably a snow shovel. :laughing7:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ahh, those were the days. Punching up arcane programs in my user friendly Deus remote. I remember those days... (JK)

Those are good programs for the LF coil. Hot is a good starting point for those programs if you want to go full tones and no disc but I also have parallel "fast" programs of varying frequencies that use 5-tones and cut in 6 to 10 points of discrimination (suing Deus Fast as the base program). Finally, I take the fast programs (of varying frequencies) and just switch tones to pitch for unmasking at 2 frequencies and save those. I use the HF coils almost exclusively now, so I use 14 khz and 28.8 khz as my base custom program frequencies for the above programs, bumping up to the highest frequency applicable to my coil (56 for HF round and 74 for HF elliptical), when desired. I also have a custom Gold Field Program Slot for relic hunting in heavily mineralized ground. It is basically a desperation "All Metal" mode when the discrimination/tones programs are severely depth limited in nasty, hot soil.

Why bother with the disc rather than simply always using full tones and no disc?

There are actually a couple of disadvantages of full tones.

I like to hear the iron, even if I am using discrimination, because that gives me mental picture of what the iron density is at the site which is useful for determining whether I am "at the site" (e.g., the site of a long since demolished building of some sort) and what type of detecting techniques and programs I will use. You may say, "So what? In full tones I can hear the iron."

There are two problems I see with exclusive use of full tones for detecting - First, in the presence of thick iron without discrimination, full tones (and visual ID) are susceptible to target ID down-averaging when the non-ferrous target is in close proximity to a significant quantity of iron in relation to the mass/size of the target. Second, if you try to counter this effect by cutting in discrimination on full tones, then you will lose all sense of the iron because there is no "iron volume" when using full tones.

So I like to use multi-tones or even "pitch" for unmasking in thick iron. The other advantage to cutting in discrimination is that you get more stable and accurate response from the horseshoe display. Cutting in disc up to about 10 or even 15 has no impact on overall depth performance contrary to the rumor mills out there.

HTH

Last edited:

Jacza

Apr 14, 2016
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How can we hear the tones of the Deus if the guy is wearing headphones? I think the video is a fake!

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
go stand in the corner with your fisher....:laughing7:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For so long now the Deus has set on top as the king....the best at finding treasures in most scenarios. I think it is funny that people will deny the fact that a machine, possibly as good or even better finally exists. People are so quick to scream biased results...or even fake videos.

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
For so long now the Deus has set on top as the king....the best at finding treasures in most scenarios. I think it is funny that people will deny the fact that a machine, possibly as good or even better finally exists. People are so quick to scream biased results...or even fake videos.

Metal detectors and political parties.

I'm for what finds me the most relics, I don't care what brand.

Jacza

Apr 14, 2016
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So where the Deus tones are coming from? You hear them also if he is not swinging the coil. Was there high EMI?

@calabash The Fisher with the Tornado coil and max sensibility goes surprisingly deep, you will not believe it. ;-)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah go check the comparision video I did with the F 75 today .... you might not believe it!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesting results, thank you for sharing! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread