Etched stone ax !!! need the help of the pros !!!!!!!!!!

Farmer X

May 19, 2006
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab ES
Found this ax ?? along with other items in the stream that runs thru may farm here in south eastern Ohio..
All items were located in about a 2 hour time frame along a 100-150 yard stretch...
Would this be considered a good concentration of artifacts worthy of further attention ????
These are my first finds.....was not able to come up with an intact point >:( but I am totally happy
to have found these few things , I am primarily a detectorist , so may artifact knowledge is alittle (alot LOL) WEAK !!!!!!!!!! So I need the pros of this game to give me some incite .........
Wanted to know if I've got good artifact concentration for my steam ??????
Any thoughts on the ax with what appears to be a fish ??????
And a pic I would like to post this evening(farm'en first) of several (8) small mounds on a steep slope overlooking
my big stream.. the mounds are located around a central year round hard rock spring ...
Each mound is about 1/2 the size of a Volkswagen I have not disturbed them ,But ran my minelab ES
over them and came up with a 1792 French 2 Sols made of bronze...What do you guys think
Indian ??? French explorer??? Any help with any of these items would be greatly appreciated..

thx Farmer

Attachments

• 155_5561.JPG
    155_5561.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 477
  • 155_5562.JPG
    155_5562.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 470
Upvote 0
P

pickaway

I'd say it would be worth hunting the area again, nice finds... :thumbsup:

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Farmer Dan, you do have a nice concentration of artifacts in your stream if you found all of that within a 150 yard stretch. Do you have any plowed ground near the stream? If not, you may want to think about turning the ground if you are serious about starting to hunt for artifacts because I have a feeling they will be loaded with some nice pieces.

As for the rock you are referring to as an Axe. Sorry to inform you that it is not an Axe is is just a natural stone. Water can do some very strange things to rocks when they are in a creek or stream for a long time. What you have there is a rock that had a softer material in one spot that has eroded to leave that impression in it and not something that was etched.

If you don't plow your fields then check your stream after every hard rain when it rises and then goes back down since it will expose new pieces after each washing.

Here is what an Axe looks like. This is three examples. The first is a Three Quarter Grooved Axe and the second is a Full Grooved Axe. The third is what is called a Celt, or an Ungrooved Axe.

Attachments

• Steve Valentine Collection 233.jpg
    Steve Valentine Collection 233.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 635
  • Steve Valentine Collection 225.jpg
    Steve Valentine Collection 225.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 452
  • Steve Valentine Collection 227.jpg
    Steve Valentine Collection 227.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 451

kujukuri

Jul 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Axe yes

Hard to tell from the pictures but the top rock in the top photo could be what have always called an ax If it is wedge shaped I would say that is an axe. Very primitive compared to the highly worked axes grim reaper shows. I would personally not disturb a mound.

UOTE=Farmer X;926098]Found this ax ?? along with other items in the stream that runs thru may farm here in south eastern Ohio..
All items were located in about a 2 hour time frame along a 100-150 yard stretch...
Would this be considered a good concentration of artifacts worthy of further attention ????
These are my first finds.....was not able to come up with an intact point >:( but I am totally happy
to have found these few things , I am primarily a detectorist , so may artifact knowledge is alittle (alot LOL) WEAK !!!!!!!!!! So I need the pros of this game to give me some incite .........
Wanted to know if I've got good artifact concentration for my steam ??????
Any thoughts on the ax with what appears to be a fish ??????
And a pic I would like to post this evening(farm'en first) of several (8) small mounds on a steep slope overlooking
my big stream.. the mounds are located around a central year round hard rock spring ...
Each mound is about 1/2 the size of a Volkswagen I have not disturbed them ,But ran my minelab ES
over them and came up with a 1792 French 2 Sols made of bronze...What do you guys think
Indian ??? French explorer??? Any help with any of these items would be greatly appreciated..

thx Farmer[/QUOTE]

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry..the stone is just a stone.
I second The Grim Reaper.. Looks like a great site.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The top rock in the first photo is not an axe, but just an unmodified rock.

The stone you felt was an axe looks natural as Grim and Gator described. The lines on it do resemble somewhat lines that have been pecked. Petroglyphs are pecked into portable rocks on occasion. Is your rock such an instance? Probably not, but I'd have to have it in hand and inspect closely. Being water worn doesn't help, and the lines are just as likely natural; it's just that portable petroglyphs do exist, so my eyes were caught by those lines for that reason.

You have found a good spot by the looks of it.

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
welcome to the tnet
i agree the top 3 largest rocks are just rocks but the rest of are all artifacts or reduction flakes which are what you will find more of at that area
i would go back there and spend some time and then post us a few pictures there has got to be some nice blades, points, and scrapers there.........

good luck too you

rocky ALLETI

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2014
Youngstown, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Farmer, I am new to metal detecting but have collected Indian artifacts for over 40 years. I live in Youngstown, ohio and see tou are from the same area. The flint pcs are sure relics and you have an Adena site. The stones are geofacts, meaning they are not man made.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions