Etrac worth the money?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up a nice used ETrac for $850 in new condition, I love it....

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is a Corvette worth the money? :occasion14:

normalizer

Sep 3, 2012
Nashville, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT PRO, and Garrett Pro Pointer. Hope to one day be good enough to justify buying a Whites V3Xi.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What color is the corvette?

S

stefen

2004 ~ C5 with 27000 miles - tan leather interior...

Worth every penny... VET COUPE.jpg

Walk911

Greenie
Apr 25, 2012
CT
Detector(s) used
minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought an e-trac after alot of reading and research and I'm glad I did. Its the caddy of metal detectors. The only advice I can offer is if you get one then also get the Minelab Explorer and e-trac handbook by Andy Sabisch....... Well worth the money.. Bob W

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a Whites MXT-PRO, Thinking of up grading to the Etrac,,,,,Is it worth it?

If your a coin hunter like myself... YES!!! 28 frequncies to puch into the ground trump 1 every time!

Holler with questions or for a great Tnet deal!

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had been hunting with an MXT Pro and always felt I was missing "the deep stuff" so i ordered an E-trac. Before the ET was delivered I was hunting a park with my MXT Pro that keeps producing old coins & buttons and came across a faint but repeatable signal that reading deep. I knew the target was also small (i figured coin size) and I commenced to dig it out. At exactly 9" I pulled out a BB/shot. At that point all my fears of not having a deep enough machine were dispelled instantly.

Enter the E-Trac...Not going to trash the machine because I do think it's good but...NEVER had it uncover anything my MXT/P wouldn't hit.(all in side by side comparisons on unplanted targets) That with the fact that you have to swing it at a snails pace, horribly long awful sounding fluty tones, iron masking was a joke, apparently hates finer gold & the most unbalanced machine I've used. Well let just say I don't own the ET any more.

I'm sure I'll take flak for not agreeing that it's the magic wand so many pretend it is. Good machine...yes. Over hyped...yep!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had been hunting with an MXT Pro and always felt I was missing "the deep stuff" so i ordered an E-trac. Before the ET was delivered I was hunting a park with my MXT Pro that keeps producing old coins & buttons and came across a faint but repeatable signal that reading deep. I knew the target was also small (i figured coin size) and I commenced to dig it out. At exactly 9" I pulled out a BB/shot. At that point all my fears of not having a deep enough machine were dispelled instantly.

Enter the E-Trac...Not going to trash the machine because I do think it's good but...NEVER had it uncover anything my MXT/P wouldn't hit.(all in side by side comparisons on unplanted targets) That with the fact that you have to swing it at a snails pace, horribly long awful sounding fluty tones, iron masking was a joke, apparently hates finer gold & the most unbalanced machine I've used. Well let just say I don't own the ET any more.

I'm sure I'll take flak for not agreeing that it's the magic wand so many pretend it is. Good machine...yes. Over hyped...yep!

There is nothing wrong with not likeing any machine. I agree with your assessment of it being unbalanced, but after using one for 4 years I will disagree the rest of your comments.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great all around machine. Worth it.. I would say if you are a coin shooter then yes. Good relic machine also in TTF mode it really shines but the Etrac loves her some silver and if it is deep and a good signal then you know it is probably a nice oldie.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I bought mine a week ago from Bart, got a great package deal.
I programmed my own coin program that I saw on utube, and headed out to two of my explorer-pounded sites Sunday and Monday. I just have to weed out these silver-coated nails lol.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 172
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 200

Jeff in Pa

Feb 26, 2005
Pa
Detector(s) used
I have owned/own the Anfibio Multi, CTX, Etrac, Equinox, SE Pro, EX II, XS, Soveriegn Elite, Garrett Ace 250 and the Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LOL,

Sure am glad you stuck to your word and didn't trash the machine. :laughing7:

I'm sure I'll take flak for not agreeing that it's the magic wand so many pretend it is. Good machine...yes. Over hyped...yep![/QUOTE]

Jeff in Pa

Feb 26, 2005
Pa
Detector(s) used
I have owned/own the Anfibio Multi, CTX, Etrac, Equinox, SE Pro, EX II, XS, Soveriegn Elite, Garrett Ace 250 and the Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Etrac is not a "Magic Wand" in fact its no better than many other machines on the market today if the other machine is in the hands of a seasoned user. Many machines are just a capable at finding deep coins and many machines are better at finding deep, small targets, especially the lower conductors like small rings.

I know someone who has many, many hours on an MXT and he says the Whites coils are not very good on the MXT but if you put an SEF on them and they are amazing! He says the depth and and sensitivity is over the top on the MXT and he loves them.

Now is the MXT for everyone? No, not anymore than the Etrac. For my friend who loves the MXT, ABSOLUTELY!!!

The Etrac is a very good machine that takes time to learn just like any other good machine on the market today. Don't fall into the hype of it being a "Magic Wand" but if you take the time to learn the machine it will bring a nice smile to your face.

Jeff

Last edited:

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Pretend?
I see a lot of good finds posted that were the result of an E-Trac owner that took the time to learn their machine. It's hard to argue with success.

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome machine and well worth the price for a good used model(there are some really good deals out there right now with everyone trying to upgrade to the CTX 3030):icon_thumright:. Gotta have some patience to learn.:BangHead:

MikeO

Feb 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Etrac is a great machine and in my opinion worth the price. You can pick up a new one for under $1,300. I have had great success by taking the time to learn the machine and digging all good sounding targets. Started off using the stock coin program and now hunt with no discrimination listening to all responses. The machine is excellent at target separation and will provide you with a wealth of information.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread