What's new

Ettique

Being that my hunting partner is also my husband I say " what's mine is mine and what's his is also mine ." Seriously though,we have taken a few trustworthy people hunting with U.S. and just taken the risk that they find something better than us. Isn't that what friendship is all about?
 
Last edited:
Being that my hunting partner is also my husband I say " what's mine is mine and what's his is also mine ."seriously though we have taken a few trustworthy people hunting with U.S. and just taken the risk that they find something better than us. Isn't that what friendship is all about?

I took a super nice guy to one of my sites. He'd never found anything old and pulled a 1787 Mass cent and a beautiful brass toy cannon. I was so happy for him. He's just a really great guy and it made me happy to help him find these great old items. Though I would have loved to have that cannon in my collection it was still awesome. But I would never take somebody else to the site where I found the tree coin. There could certainly be more Mass silver there and if somebody else put that NE Shilling I would be VERY sad lol
 
Isn't that what friendship is all about?

I've lost a few friendships over money, so I will continue to hunt alone.
 
I took a super nice guy to one of my sites. He'd never found anything old and pulled a 1787 Mass cent and a beautiful brass toy cannon. I was so happy for him. He's just a really great guy and it made me happy to help him find these great old items. Though I would have loved to have that cannon in my collection it was still awesome. But I would never take somebody else to the site where I found the tree coin. There could certainly be more Mass silver there and if somebody else put that NE Shilling I would be VERY sad lol


Did I ever mention I have dug a toy cannon? :happysmiley: ...and I did it with two guests here.
 
I took a super nice guy to one of my sites. He'd never found anything old and pulled a 1787 Mass cent and a beautiful brass toy cannon. I was so happy for him. He's just a really great guy and it made me happy to help him find these great old items. Though I would have loved to have that cannon in my collection it was still awesome. But I would never take somebody else to the site where I found the tree coin. There could certainly be more Mass silver there and if somebody else put that NE Shilling I would be VERY sad lol


Sometimes though you get burned. I know we did with one guy but lesson learned. I know I am locked up tighter than Ft. Knox when anyone asks where I found my CSA buckle.
 

Attachments

  • arhp1.webp
    arhp1.webp
    27.9 KB · Views: 83
Make the rules clear before you detect someone's property. I recently had a guy who asked me to detect his property, but he wanted to keep everything I found! What's my incentive to do that? Some people have a lot of nerve...

I ran into a guy a few years back who was detecting around a small city (pop~2,000). He was real happy to learn me all about the craft. Told about his past finds and all that. He was big on silver spoons from old food serving establishments. Had nice tools, another detector in the SUV. Invited me to go detect places, told me all about local places he thought would be good go. He actually offered to come over and detect my place just for the fun of it and everything would be mine. I think he was lonely.
 
Man that's a beautiful display piece. Very tiny cannon you have sir lol


You have no choice but to take what god gives you. :) It was Abe style too, a random find along a creek and not very close to the site. Had it been the same distance in any other direction I'm sure it would still be there now. I've been thinking some about that area and might have to put it on the list for Spring.
 
Well I have a different take on this.
I have hunted close to 50 years alone and in groups. In all this time it has always been finder keepers. I get just as much joy out of seeing a friend find something remarkable x# of feet away from me as I do in finding it myself. Besides its the comradely you share with others that make this hobby/sport what ever you wish to call it so enjoyable.

Face it, if it wasn't for the comradely why would anyone be posting here in the first place.

Sure on the beach or in the water I always hunt alone, because I never know from one day to the next where I am going to go. But for relics on others property its fun to hunt with someone else, see them jump for joy about finding something old and rare, and also having them see me jump for joy when its my turn.

Sure I know many hunters that are secretive about hunting spots, perhaps we all are to a degree, but dang guys and gals its a hobby, its meant to be shared with others and enjoyed. Classic example, latest banner, one of those guys found three $20 gold pieces, yet what did you hear, those hunting with him were ecstatic over him finding them. If I'm not mistaken two of the three found gold coins, the one that didn't, did go ohhh heck you were right next to me give me one.

Case in point, two weeks ago a pharmacist I know, somehow we got on the topic of coins and metal detecting, more then likely I brought the topic up as I'm always trying to get new people involved. Anyway I took him an 18xx holed large cent, he thought it was just to show him until I told him it was his. He was ecstatic, he couldn't believe I was giving it to him. Could I have keep it, sure, but its the memory that matters, I remember exactly where I dug that bugger up from, the ground was rock hard and it was right next to china, that's how deep it was. Those memories I still have, the coin was secondary, now it belongs to someone else to bring them joy.

In this age and time, in this society, isn't it the joy that we can share that makes this hobby/sport all the more valuable.

Home owners/prop owners I never bring up a split, but afterwards I always make sure to give them a nice keepsake found on their property, something they can relate too whether its an old coin or what ever, if it brings them a moment of joy it was worth it.

Anyway, that's just my humble opinion take it with a grain of salt.
 
Last edited:
Hey, J Hoss
Have you detected those homesites yet? When you hit a new site, do you also look for the privies & dump sites? I am more interested in bottle digging than metal detecting, but I always bring my MD along. I have dug in Smithland & some other areas around you. I also agree with the idea of always having a clear understanding of what is expected before starting. Might save a lawsuit later.
 
I get just as much joy out of seeing a friend find something remarkable x# of feet away from me as I do in finding it myself. Besides its the comradely you share with others that make this hobby/sport what ever you wish to call it so enjoyable.

Not me - I want to be the one who finds it. If I want camaraderie, I'll meet a buddy at a bar.
 
Personally, I agree with Ahab8 and TheSleeper. To me, they both describe being a good ambassador to metal detecting. I don't know why exactly, but I take pride in my detecting and mining. And I enjoy meeting other detectorists and miners.

I feel that it is my responsibility to represent the sport in a positive way, because so many people have a negative opinion of what we do. I am the first guy to talk trash and be difficult in real life, but when I detect I patiently win these people over with kindness and correct information about the "sport" if you will. I can't tell you how many times people were angry with me because of someone else and what they did. I listen to the people, then I explain that we try to detect within a code of ethics, and all the benefits of trash removal, and that we do not damage anything. After I am done these people go out of their way to thank me for taking the time to explain everything.

I know it can be annoying to have to stop and remove your headphones 20 times to answer questions for curious kids and adult onlookers alike, but being a good steward will keep more areas open to detect, and perhaps create opportunities in the future for new ground,

As far as who should keep what, unless you are on private property, what you find is yours. It is your choice whether to track down the owners of traceable items or not. Be aware though, that unfortunately, some people will not reward you for turning in their valuable item. My opinion is that it will come back around if I do the right thing, but that's just me. What you do with your finds is none of my business.

When it comes to private property, it is best to negotiate before anything is done, but it also makes sense to get your split agreement on paper. If you carry a waiver of liability to sign for them, it is easy to add an addendum on the back stating the agreement with the landowner (the waiver should be written in such a way as to serve as permission to be there detecting as well).

There are other issues though. Some states have very different laws governing treasure finds, and the federal government can find a way to claim just about any treasure they want by saying the find has archaeological significance,
 
Last edited:
Hey, J Hoss
Have you detected those homesites yet? When you hit a new site, do you also look for the privies & dump sites? I am more interested in bottle digging than metal detecting, but I always bring my MD along. I have dug in Smithland & some other areas around you. I also agree with the idea of always having a clear understanding of what is expected before starting. Might save a lawsuit later.


Haven't yet I'm still recovering from surgery. Probably going to try last of March. If privie is obvious I will but usually look for foundation of house and sheds.
 
Make the rules clear before you detect someone's property. I recently had a guy who asked me to detect his property, but he wanted to keep everything I found! What's my incentive to do that? Some people have a lot of nerve...

I would have done it. I charge $50.00 an hour.
 
Personally, I agree with Ahab8 and TheSleeper. To me, they both describe being a good ambassador to metal detecting. I don't know why exactly, but I take pride in my detecting and mining. And I enjoy meeting other detectorists and miners.

I feel that it is my responsibility to represent the sport in a positive way, because so many people have a negative opinion of what we do. I am the first guy to talk trash and be difficult in real life, but when I detect I patiently win these people over with kindness and correct information about the "sport" if you will. I can't tell you how many times people were angry with me because of someone else and what they did. I listen to the people, then I explain that we try to detect within a code of ethics, and all the benefits of trash removal, and that we do not damage anything. After I am done these people go out of their way to thank me for taking the time to explain everything.

I know it can be annoying to have to stop and remove your headphones 20 times to answer questions for curious kids and adult onlookers alike, but being a good steward will keep more areas open to detect, and perhaps create opportunities in the future for new ground,

As far as who should keep what, unless you are on private property, what you find is yours. It is your choice whether to track down the owners of traceable items or not. Be aware though, that unfortunately, some people will not reward you for turning in their valuable item. My opinion is that it will come back around if I do the right thing, but that's just me. What you do with your finds is none of my business.

When it comes to private property, it is best to negotiate before anything is done, but it also makes sense to get your split agreement on paper. If you carry a waiver of liability to sign for them, it is easy to add an addendum on the back stating the agreement with the landowner (the waiver should be written in such a way as to serve as permission to be there detecting as well).

There are other issues though. Some states have very different laws governing treasure finds, and the federal government can find a way to claim just about any treasure they want by saying the find has archaeological significance,

I like your attitude. I don't know where the like button is. If I did I would have hit it. Where is it?
 
Boatlode, that's cool. That's what makes the world go round, if we all thought the same way and acted the same way this would be one boring world. I've been detecting for close to 50 years, found a lot of good stuff and great junk, lol. Its hard to put into words, do I love finding exceptional pieces, sure I'm human, but I also gain a lot of enjoyment from seeing someone else find something exceptional.

Heck the banner for those guys in Calif that found all those gold coins, do I wish I was one (goldie has eluded me all these years) of them, dang tooting, but I gained a lot of enjoyment just watching the video of those guys finding them.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom