What's new

Ever get to the beach with a detector that had dead batteries?

Sandman

Gold Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2005
Messages
13,408
Reaction score
3,997
Golden Thread
0
Location
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman did it again... :tongue3:

I went to bed early so I could get up early. Made my coffee and took extra with me for the +30 miles to this one beach that has been closed to metal detecting and I just got permission. On arriving and getting suited up I took a couple steps away from the car only to learn my CZ-20 was already turned on an now had dead batteries. Naturally I didn't have my spare 9 Volts with me. I had the AA batteries though. Some how the detector got turned on while in the trunk for a couple days. I took out the CZ-20 and replaced it with the Tiger Shark for tomorrows hunt. The Excal is on the Charger again.

What blunders have you pulled?
 

Attachments

  • CZ-20.webp
    CZ-20.webp
    24.5 KB · Views: 624
Upvote 0
I have done the same with my CZ-20 aka now CZ-21. I know it is a pain but for quick use but if I think I am not using it for few days I tend to unhook the battery pack inside the battery compartment to avoid that problem. By the way I have seen off and on on this forum your concerns about Fisher Labs service since they were taken over by the other big metal dedector manufacturer. I did have my CZ-20 repaired/odeified from an ich coil to CZ-21 a year or so ago with 10 inch coil. It was not in any warranty at that time as I had bought it second hand so it did cost some bucks for the repair but they did give me a break on moving to the 10 inch coil. Well this year I had a new problem and they repaired and returned at no cost not even shipping return cost. So even if not lifetime warranty anymore it seems they are giving some ok warranty service. I have not had chance to test unit real thoroughly yet. We'll see maybe today how well this service done. To be fair I can be a bit rough on my equipment sometimes.
 
Yep! I've done that too but what is even worse.... is getting up extra early, driving an hour and a half, parking the car and discovering that I didn't even put the darn detector IN the car! It was still hanging in the garage at home! Argggggggggggggggg!
 
mumszie said:
Yep! I've done that too but what is even worse.... is getting up extra early, driving an hour and a half, parking the car and discovering that I didn't even put the darn detector IN the car! It was still hanging in the garage at home! Argggggggggggggggg!
I feel for you Mumszie. :hello:
I once launched the dive boat with all my gear on board only to learn while underway that my air tanks were empty. This is when I bought the hookah as all I needed then was some gasoline.
 
Sandman, Just got the CZ 20 and for the life of me cannot figure out if I am using it right, how do you know if it ground balanced? I am using it on salt water beaches in Florida and all I am finding is bottle caps please help.... Melissa
 
not the beach but yep several times.

Luck was with me most times I had spares.

Once TexJim & I traveled a Good Distance
to a Park & When we got there,
I Realized I Didn't have the Door
to hold my Batteries in My Sovereign.

We Ended up Making a Door out of Duct Tape

I Believe it was my First hunt of the Year
 
I drove for over eighty miles and walked for over thirty minutes to my site to find out that I had a bad coil. What a disheartening, dejected, miserable feeling of missing the boat as I looked at my site knowing there would be no finds today. I now find myself lugging backup of everything. Lesson learned. Arty
 
Drove half way to the beach, (65 miles one way) and remembered I left my scoop at home...Turned around and went and got it......I now carry 2 scoops....

Went to the GSBSO 65 miles from home and at the registeration table I remembered I left the Fisher 1235x with the freq shifter at home, went back and got it.
 
Treasure_Hunter said:
Drove half way to the beach, (65 miles one way) and remembered I left my scoop at home...Turned around and went and got it......I now carry 2 scoops....

Went to the GSBSO 65 miles from home and at the registeration table I remembered I left the Fisher 1235x with the freq shifter at home, went back and got it.

I was using a Surfmaster PI when it let out a death squawl. Rushed off the beach to find some distilled water to rinse it out with and left my scoop at the lifeguard stand. Luckily it was still there when I got back.
 
Sandman,
Check this out on the "Hawaii" section of the forum. Somebody forgot/left their detector and gear at the beach after yesterdays hunt and never went back to claim it...that would be a bummer. :'(
 
i have done that and more!!!
forgot batteries!
forgot digger!, left digger on top edge of truck bed and drove/lost digger!
forgot scoop!
have not completely forgotten detector.......yet!
melissa, read your manual or just set the ground ballance knob to the preset position. set disc to one or autotune/all metal and dig all signals till you get used to the detector!
 
Did you end up detecting? Why would you not to go the closest CVS or store and get batteries? They have sales all the time on bogo's and I stock up and keep them in the car. I have been in that position and just went and got batteries and went back, is this spot out in the middle of no where? In this day and age where there is a store on every corner, I don't get it. Although, I live in SE Florida so I could be completely in the dark, maybe you have some trees left where you live lol. Not judging just asking. Being a female, it also sounds like such a man thing, drive all the way home or do the common sense thing and find a store that sells batteries, sorry been married seventeen years and that sounds so typical of something my husband would do. Please don't get offended, because I know most of you are sitting there laughing, and you know why, half of you are trying to figure out bogo (buy one get one free) and the other half would drive home instead of buying batteries. HH and please get a laugh and not an attitude, and yes my husband is a very lucky man. LIFES TO SHORT NOT TO ENJOY!!
 
mommagpx said:
Did you end up detecting? Why would you not to go the closest CVS or store and get batteries? They have sales all the time on bogo's and I stock up and keep them in the car. I have been in that position and just went and got batteries and went back, is this spot out in the middle of no where? In this day and age where there is a store on every corner, I don't get it. Although, I live in SE Florida so I could be completely in the dark, maybe you have some trees left where you live lol. Not judging just asking. Being a female, it also sounds like such a man thing, drive all the way home or do the common sense thing and find a store that sells batteries, sorry been married seventeen years and that sounds so typical of something my husband would do. Please don't get offended, because I know most of you are sitting there laughing, and you know why, half of you are trying to figure out bogo (buy one get one free) and the other half would drive home instead of buying batteries. HH and please get a laugh and not an attitude, and yes my husband is a very lucky man. LIFES TO SHORT NOT TO ENJOY!!

I would have gotten new batteries at a store but the beach was out in the sticks and they wouldn't have been open for another 3 hours. I can only hunt this beach till 10 AM when it opens to the public. No detectors in the water with the swimmers. But I have the contract for cleaning the beach now from the park authority.
 
Nope, left twice without the battery hatch (makes it waterproof)

HH
-GC
 
HI, all I went for a Long Walk on the Beach, and I was not geting any Hits you know like some coins and maybe a Ring I For Got To TURN IT ON !! and it work when it ON .. NO Dead Battery. Just Lost Time.. ;D ;D ;D
 
Went camping miles off the beaten path and then the next day drove a very long two-track to a lake where an old resort beach use to be. Got excited, rushed to the water's edge and started wading out to deeper water so I could freeze first and then thaw out in the sun and shallower water as I worked my way back into shallow water. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that the battery compartment on my CZ-20 was nearly full open. Detector didn't work for very long on that hunt. :help:
 
No, but I drove once from Dallas Tx to Galveston to try out my newly bought Garrett Sea Hunter II, was soooooo pumped to hit the beach...fresh batteries..was all ready to find my treasure and bam.............. total chatter ..wouldn't clear out...tried everything ...got home put it on ebay and sold it !!!!! Guess I'll think twice before I purchase another used water machine.

Rockyredbaron


HH to all
 
coin finder said:
HI, all I went for a Long Walk on the Beach, and I was not geting any Hits you know like some coins and maybe a Ring I For Got To TURN IT ON !! and it work when it ON .. NO Dead Battery. Just Lost Time.. ;D ;D ;D

Now that hits home.......sort of makes you want to look around to be sure nodody was watching. :laughing7:
 
rockyredbaron said:
No, but I drove once from Dallas Tx to Galveston to try out my newly bought Garrett Sea Hunter II, was soooooo pumped to hit the beach...fresh batteries..was all ready to find my treasure and bam.............. total chatter ..wouldn't clear out...tried everything ...got home put it on ebay and sold it !!!!! Guess I'll think twice before I purchase another used water machine.

Rockyredbaron


HH to all

Did you clean out the coil cover first?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom