Ever have an embarrassing moment in this hobby?

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had one of those non-stellar days today. Not "bad", just not stellar. I did however turn up an old war nickel in pretty good shape. Unfortunately, I managed to scratch it right across the face. (rookie mistake).

I moved on and was semi-gridding the place. On the way back to the car, I turned up another war nickel. About the same shape, was right on top, and when I looked a little closer, it had a scratch also. Hmmmmm, interesting. Right across the face too! Almost exactly where I....................wait a minute!!! I checked my found pouch. No nickel. I had just found the same one, TWICE!!! oH! HOW embarrassing!!!! LOL

Thought if anyone else out there had done this, they would now not feel so bad. :)

HH!

Upvote 70
OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i know this a old thread but i saw it and had to post
i was detecting a old house site were i got a good many things (coins,ball lids etc.) and i get this slamming high tone as i'm digging i found out it was the old chimney. so i filled it back in but as i was filling the hole back in i fell in flat on my face the worse part was there was two people walking by and they busted out laughing. i got up filled the hole back in and left like it didn't happen

Been there! Lol thanks for sharing.
This thread is ancient but the subject is ongoing/never-ending.
Started simply and just took on a life of its own.

Many have written me to say thanks for it but all I did was title it with a thought that touches on everyone!

Some have said it gave them something to do when weather keeps them locked inside.

Feel free to add! :)

neodetectorist

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2016
NE Ohio
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro W Stock coil, Fisher F2 W 8" Concentric and 9.5" NEL DD, XPointer pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never found any targets twice but I remember hunting a soccer field in the winter and reaching down for my pin-pointer only to find no pin-pointer. I jumped up and in a panic scanned all over the field hoping to get a glimpse of it. In a panic I was literally running around looking for it. The shear and utter relief I had when I saw it laying on the ground next to a filled hole. I must have looked crazed.

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was in Englewood, Florida this past January getting some time in with my 11 year old daughter and wife...I had purposely dressed the classic part of "that guy " that metal detects...long shorts, white t-shirt white sox. They were daring me to go out on the beach and detect, and I did.

Family nearby is in stitches, from Wisconsin. No offense Badger/Packer folks, but the lack of tan was extreme, so the Florida folks were grinning at them too. They had two ADORABLE little girls that were playing with mine, when KT pipes up and says:

"We dressed him this way on purpose".

gave the little girls some clad scrap I had found, and the two year old Badger spawn promptly runs out to the surf line and throws it back in. Never again...

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jumping up and down like a nut!!!!! IMG_2750.JPG IMG_2752.JPG

Need I say more IMG_2751.JPG

simatrice

May 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice thread

Been there! Lol thanks for sharing.
This thread is ancient but the subject is ongoing/never-ending.
Started simply and just took on a life of its own.

Many have written me to say thanks for it but all I did was title it with a thought that touches on everyone!

Some have said it gave them something to do when weather keeps them locked inside.

Feel free to add! :)

Funny moments

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had just gotten a new machine and pin pointer my whole family was there I go over to this big tree and start detecting around it. I get a real good signal right off the bat I pull out the pointer and digger about 6" down I hit a coin its gold. I start yelling gold coin and jumping up and down everybody is looking at me I look down at it again and its a Mexican peso.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speaking of family...
I was detecting in my son's yard, their all watching....with a little too much interest. I got a good signal, not too deep. Dig down, pullout a nice bright gold ring, with no dirt clinging in any crevices. A little too clean, if you know what i mean.
I looked over at all their smiling faces.
I said "your ring" and tossed it to my son. He says. "we just wanted you to find something".
I told him "Do it again & i'm keeping it".
Ya embarrassing "family joke".

Kona Koma

Bronze Member
Nov 13, 2017
On the Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reminds me of my brotherโ€™s quote. โ€œMeasure twice and cut onceโ€

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Repeating, digging a hole in the sand at the beach for something deep, then falling in it.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first seeded hunt: Showed up at 7:00am to help set up and seed the beach for the hunt. Didn't have high expectations. 5 minutes in my batteries die. I couldn't believe it. So I pretended to detect for about 10 minutes because I was too embarrassed to ask if anyone had batteries. There I was waving my coil all over the place trying to look like I knew what I was doing. Of course I wasn't finding anything. Then I finally tired of fooling myself and mustered up the courage to ask the people running it if anyone had batteries. They did I was saved. I put in the batteries as fast as I could and got out there. By then everyone had found everything.

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Following up on a a rural legend about old timers bullhead fishing from an island I drug my kayak through what is now marsh for an exhausting hour till I finally broke through to open water next to the island. Beached the kayak and eyeballled a pair of needlenose pliers laying right there on a log. Searched all day for thirty eight cents in clad. When I left i followed the small open waterway out and only had to push through a dozen feet of reeds to get to open water. This was when Google Earth became my best friend!

tmanfromtexas

Mar 12, 2006
Deep East Texas near Toledo Bend
Detector(s) used
ETRAC BABY
Years ago ACH and I decided to hunt an old school in Gary Indiana on Easter Sunday. We were out there early and I was just digging away finding wheaties and looking for the alusive silver. As i was closing a hole up I looked to my right and saw a pair of feet. Now mind you we were in Gary Indiana. At first I thought oh shyte then I noticed they were nice clean shined shoes. I looked up and there was a Gary PD officer looking down at me. I smiled and stood up. I looked around and Dave was just hunting away oblivious to the fact we were done for the day there. I looked around and saw there was two squad cars and 4 cops. I asked what the problem was and he told me that the school was public but the land was owned by the school board trust and that we had to leave. Dave by now had come over with his gear. We thanked them and asked if a park we were going to next was in their patrol area. They smiled and said no. We left and hunted elsewhere. TMAN...

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TENNESSEEGAL Do you mind me asking what color your hair is ?

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DavesT did you find anything while it was OFF ? LOL

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I had just gotten a new machine and pin pointer my whole family was there I go over to this big tree and start detecting around it. I get a real good signal right off the bat I pull out the pointer and digger about 6" down I hit a coin its gold. I start yelling gold coin and jumping up and down everybody is looking at me I look down at it again and its a Mexican peso.
Been there, Done that.

holepuncher

Oct 5, 2014
Amboy Wa.
Detector(s) used
AT Pro. Equinox.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had to find the same war nickel 3 times. the first is when I originally found it then let a friend hold it to show the property owners then she lost it, and the third time was when the property owner had it and dropped it when he was sitting down, He ran his hand all around in the grass but couldn't find it until I broke out the pinpointer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread