What's new

Ever Seen This Before?

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Joined
Sep 17, 2012
Messages
1,689
Reaction score
1,637
Golden Thread
1
Location
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was wondering if any of you have ever seen this color of material before and would know where it originates from?

photo 3.webpphoto10.webp

A friend of mine found this and we're trying to determine how far it has traveled as it's not from around these parts.

Thanks for looking and any help that can be offered.
 
Upvote 0
I find it here in N GA. I have found all different colors from white to black. Here is a piece Monsterrack made something for me with. I had a nice big cube of white. It is very sharp and does feel like glass.
 

Attachments

  • SDC11052.webp
    SDC11052.webp
    347.2 KB · Views: 96
Please forgive my ignorance and maybe excessive questions on the subject as I've never encountered it before myself.

1. How old could it be?

2. Would this be a product of an old Foundry Furnace of sorts?

3. Would this slag be old enough for post contact Natives to work such as examples of railway glass points?

Once again, thanks for looking and any info would be greatly appreciated.

Wash the dirt off and show pics from all sides. Mainly I need to see the skin (cortex) of it then I can tell you exactly if it is slag.
 
Cool, I'll let them know and should have photos up in a day or two.
 
More photos for you folks to check out, thanks again.
photo 1.webpphoto 2.webpphoto 3.webpphoto 4.webpphoto 5.webp
 
Yeah its slag but a real nice color. Find a big piece of it and sell it on ebay.
 
I don't usually keep slag for any reason but I do happen to have this piece just because I liked the way the colors layered on it.. I can clearly see the bubbles on part of the rind in one of those photos there's no question in my mind that these are pieces of slag

ForumRunner_20140929_170453.webp



ForumRunner_20140929_170609.webp



ForumRunner_20140929_170609.webp
 
I found some last yr that was white with a hint of baby blue in it. I actually had a Geologist look at it and he said it was a type of Opal IHO. Low and behold I found some other pieces later with the cortex on it still and all the bubbles were still there. I knew it was slag after seeing that. But it fooled a Geologist he was retired though.
 
Yeah its slag but a real nice color. Find a big piece of it and sell it on ebay.

What would something like that typically go for?
 
How big of a piece do you have? Allot of nice looking flints go $5 a pound from what I have seen.
 
Apparently the biggest chunk is about 4" x 6".
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom