What's new

EVERY DAY AN ADVENTURE WITH ME

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
Joined
May 22, 2005
Messages
7,211
Reaction score
61
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
Other
Out early this morning. Perfect day for a hunt, high 60’s no wind no rain expected.

Plan was to return to an old bible camp I located last year. No need to take the coordinates with since I had hit it about 3 time in the past. Right? Wrong.

Way it looks in Nov is not the way it looks now.
Big evergreen will guide me in, right? Wrong.

This is one big evergreen but the surrounding trees absolutely block it out this time of year. Only evergreen on the 1,670 acres.
So after going almost a half mile past the location I backtrack.

Now when I get lost I tend to make my way back with no problem, except. I take the time to check out this ridge, that mound, that tree that seems out of place, and every other thing that gets my fancy.

So what should have been an 20 min walk to the location takes an hour and a half.

Have not been able to locate much info on the web about this camp. Closed in the very early 50”s or late 40’s. The main area suffered a burn at some time, (melted glass), and after, that it seems to have been used as a trash pit. I have been hunting the area around the camp looking for other locations related to it.

Not much as far as metal finds today, but did pull up a nice quart milk bottle from the Lemont, Dairy. Made my day.

Would say it matches with the dates of 40’s early 50’s. Will post more on bottle in bottle section. I do have a question on it.

Almost 4 hours in the woods, walking, searching, digging. Had a good time.

all have a good un........
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS
 

Attachments

  • f0612061 (Small).webp
    f0612061 (Small).webp
    25.2 KB · Views: 622
  • f0612612 (Small).webp
    f0612612 (Small).webp
    24.8 KB · Views: 620
  • f0612063 (Small).webp
    f0612063 (Small).webp
    40.3 KB · Views: 603
  • f0612064 (Small).webp
    f0612064 (Small).webp
    25.8 KB · Views: 609
Upvote 0
Nice bottle,

I hunt alot of creeks for arrow heads and occasionally i come across bottles.

I have about 10 complete cork top bottles and have found many broken ones.

Soon i will include some pics.
 
Great bottle find Sherm! Keep those adventure stories coming!

Nana ;)
 
Great bottle.

Hunting likely looking spots can pay off. I once stopped by a very large old pine that just stood out from everything else. It must have been at least 200 years old.

I found a cache of CW era jewelry including a solid gold ring and balls for a cap N ball revolver under one of the large roots. I've always wondered what that was all about and how it ever got there.

You never know what you'll find next.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom