Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Minelab Explorer II has out-performed my wildest expectations! I found the following in my first 7 months of use:
10 Indian head pennies, 65 wheaties, 12 Mercury Dimes, 23 Silver Roosevelt Dimes, Seated Liberty Quarter, Barber Quarter, 2 Standing Liberty Quarters, 9 silver Washington Quarters, 6 Religious medals, & 5 silver rings, and these:

1787 & 1789 Spanish One reales at 10? deep,
Nova Constellatio with no date (1783-1786) at 12"
Liberty Cap Copper with no date (1793-1796),
Draped Bust Copper (with no date),
1796 Draped Bust Copper,
1807 Draped Bust Copper,
1854 Seated Quarter, &
1901 Barber Quarter.

The above list has certainly grown since I complied the above for my MD dealer.

especially love Iron Mask feature. Why? IM allows you to find a silver coin right next to a iron nail. You'll usually hear tow tones - the iron and the silver coin. Iron mask means "good target masked by iron" basically. I always run in IM because I want to hear those silver coins sitting right next to iron junk.
They remain left behind by most other detectors because they sound like junk to these models. Only dig-all-targets guys would find this type of coin.

When I dug my first deep hole ( depth of 12") and saw a coin laying at the bottom - that's when I realized the power of this machine. i thought it was a rusty clad quater. But when I got it home and cleaned it - I had uncovered my first Nova Constellatio large copper cent.

The Double D coil makes a big difference in area covered because signal is [_] shaped
and not typical V cone shaped signal. You can get deeper depths right up against
tree trunks and fallen trees. The coil has a hot band that runs from top to bottom
of coil - so you don't need to overlap coil on next swing.

Pinpointing is very different from what you are probably used to but once mastered is
normally dead on.

Since this detector does go so deep - I recommend a Sunray X-1 probe that makes
finding objects at deeper levels much easier and quicker. It becomes part of EX II
and is actually a hand-held detector you can place into a deep hole and find objects
up to 3" from tip.

This is a very complex machine but easy to setup and requiring few tweaks unless you just
like to experiment all the time. Once I found my settings (that i liked) - I've basically stuck
with them. Learning this machine is well worth your time and will pay off in the field.

I recommend taking this macine to any place where you found good coins and going over that area again.
Finding coins at 8-10" mark is quite common esp. large coppers and coins that have been in the ground a
long time. It does very well with coins on edge that are deep. Last fall I found a 1723 Spanish II Reale on
edge at 8-9" mark. That's the oldest coin i have ever found!

In my opinion, you can't go wrong with this machine if you are patient and stick with the machine until you learn how to use it. Is it for everybody - probably not. But if you want one of the deepest detecting machines made today - it's a no-brainer in my book, and with 27 frequencies to back that up.
HH!

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
i will have to agree, if you are a coin shooter....with mine, using a 10.5 factory coil, i have dug several rev war minie balls to 10-11 inches,,,,a contential army pewter uniform button at around a foot +,,,,,,and the best ever, a hatchet head and a iron pot shard right at two feet deep.....the hatchet head sounded as if it was 3 inches deep,,,,,,,,worth buying and learning if you are serious about your hobby.............gldhntr

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
Hi ocean 7 and gldhtr I agree completely with your comments about the Explorers
Ive had explores now for more than four years I had the xs for a couple of years but when the explorer 2 was released I had to have one it is a big improvement on the first machine.I was happy using the standard coil until I tried the coiltek platipus coil which is more sensitive giving clearer signals and the pinpointing is better and more accurate.I have also got the sunray pinpointer and it really is handy on those awkward deep signals which can dissappear on you.I had to import mine because they are not readily available in australia.
gldhtr did you try that horrible piece of ground.Lifting the coil will work generally.
I have been alongside a wire fence even though it wasnt an electric fence you couldnt get near it for disturbance pushing the noise button did nothing.Best thing to do was just walk away.
I use the 15 inch coiltek coil on the beach and have had terrific depth with it,using the bigger coils allows you to cover a much bigger area at a good rate of speed.
I like to use this coil on the waters edge in manual sensitivity but you must go slowly and have smooth even sweeps otherwise you will get false signals.I have plcked out gold rings at around 15 to 18 inch using this method but you must go slow and listen carefullyl the rings only give out a faint dull tone .
Have you tried rigging up a shoulder harness and bungy cord for your machines it makes them so much lighter. I have a small loop of heavy fishing line attatched to my detector by two heavy cable ties just above where your hand goes on the handle at the base of the control panel. I have a small hook attatched to the elastic bungy cord which connects to a army type shoulder harness.then its just a matter of working out how long you want your bungy cord and simply hook it to your detector.It is excellent because you are not putting your detector down in the dirt or sand every time you dig a signal .it simply hangs on the cord and stays clean, its good on waters edge where a wave could catch you out.
seeya neilo

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
no i haven't went back to the site with ground problems yet,,,,,as for fence, i have not had any trouble masking them out on the few i have been around......although i am usually too deep in the woods for fences..........gldhntr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread