Excelerator coil

minelab rick

Jul 1, 2006
Charlottesville, Va
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Hi Guys,
First post here. I've owned an Explorer XS for about 3 years and recently ordered a 14 inch Excelerator coil from Kelly Co. I hoped to recieve it before going to the Outer Banks, but as luck would have it, it showed up the week we were gone. have only been able to use it sporadiclly since June 26th and I am still learning it. Any feedback from anyone concerning the coil and tips would be greatly appreciated. Not getting the depth I thought I would and not sure where I should run my settings. As I stated earlier I have used the XS for three years and while I have played with the advanced, I use it in preset modes. Please educate me. Just reading the posts has helped me a great deal. Thanks in advance for any help.

R

rvbvetter

I've no experience with excelerator coils. But if its for coin hunting, 14 inch my be a bit much for individual coins. Poor seperation unless there's no trash.
Too many targets under the coil can easily blend or mask signals from good targets. I wouldnt go no more than 12". My preference is actually a 10" coil.
Sometime back someone here got the 14" excelerator coil for their ML Musketeer and was very dissapointed in the coils depth and/or poor performance. I've heard others complain as well about lack of depth of the excelerators.
I just read someone saying that the , I beleive it was sunray coils, are good. But I'll let someone else tell you about them. I haven't tried one. HH

lou423

Dec 14, 2005
S.W. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro. Minelab. Fisher.
I hava a 5 inch excelerator coil...It is ok, but not great.
Your 14 inch coil should be good for the beach and when looking for a cache.
good luck...

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the 15" WOT coil on my explorer XS and won't go to an old park without it! It gets some nice deep coins that you won't find when using the stock coil. That extra inch or so of depth makes a HUGE difference!

But there are also times that I won't use it. Some places I hunt are too trashy and I need a smaller coil for target seperation. Other spots, like close to houses, have too much electrical interference for the bigger coils to work as well as they would in wide open spaces.

Good luck with it!

OP
OP
M

minelab rick

Jul 1, 2006
Charlottesville, Va
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Thanks for the info. What sensitivity do you use for the 15 inch coil? Kelly Co. could only tell me to play with the sensitivity. Not the customer service I was expecting. And can you recommend a 5 inch coil also? I read in the posts about the WOT coil that I'm not familiar with.

Bebop

Jul 14, 2006
Thompson UT.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100/Explorer XS/ Garrett GTI-1500/GTA-1000/Grand Master Hunyer III/White Goldmaster II
I have a Explorer XS and I used the 18" 14" 10.5" 8" 5" coils. I used the 18",14",10.5" in Ireland and found the 10.5" coil was best there. I was looking for coins and not caches. I used all the coils in southern Cail, and the 10.5" work the best as long as there is not much trash. I use only three coil know, I use 10.5" when the coins are deep enough and the trash is not very heavy, but when the trash gets heaver I use the 8" coil and when the trash gets real heavy I use the 5" coil. I detected a can dump with my 10.5" coil and I did not fine much, then I used my 8" coil and I found three coins, so I went back over the area again with my 5" coil and I found over 35 coins, so that is that. PS. When you get into heavy trash area you might want to use a costum discrimination pattern so you do not hear all that trash. The heaver the trash, the smaller the filed of view you want. But don't go to small, you will block out all your coins, and test your costum pattern on deep coins because on some detectors they will see a coin different at different depths. and put the detector in manual sensitivity or you won't get much better in depth. You can check out my topic at this lenk. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,43643.msg310782.html#msg310782

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread