Expedition Unknown Looking For New Treasure Adventures!

mantoothsean

Nov 25, 2019
Los Angeles
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all.

My name is Sean Mantooth and I am a producer on the Discovery Channel program "Expedition Unknown." We're gearing up for a new season and are researching some treasure / adventure based stories to be included in future episodes.

Specifically -

1. Joaquin Murrieta - notorious California bandit and one of the inspirations for Zorro. He allegedly hid stashes throughout both north and south California. Is anyone actively looking for any of these stashes?Any information about where they could be that is not general knowledge?

2. Confederate gold - Tons of stories and legends about potential stashes of confederate gold that was spread out at the end of the Civil War. Same questions - is anyone actively looking (other than on a certain TV show I won't name) and is there any new information?

Generally -

We're looking for any cool "lost treasure" stories where there is active research or investigation taking place. I'd love to speak with any or all of you who have some leads that could be turned into an episode of EXU. You can reply to this message or PM here on treasure.net.

Thanks so much and it's nice to e-meet you all.

Sean

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No leads here but love your shows. Probably the only one worth watching. Josh is a great host. I had to laugh last week when he asked...."what are you, 15"......I felt he was talkin to me.....lol .you had to see the episode to know.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard :occasion14:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello all.

My name is Sean Mantooth and I am a producer on the Discovery Channel program "Expedition Unknown." We're gearing up for a new season and are researching some treasure / adventure based stories to be included in future episodes.

Specifically -

1. Joaquin Murrieta - notorious California bandit and one of the inspirations for Zorro. He allegedly hid stashes throughout both north and south California. Is anyone actively looking for any of these stashes?Any information about where they could be that is not general knowledge?

2. Confederate gold - Tons of stories and legends about potential stashes of confederate gold that was spread out at the end of the Civil War. Same questions - is anyone actively looking (other than on a certain TV show I won't name) and is there any new information?

Generally -

We're looking for any cool "lost treasure" stories where there is active research or investigation taking place. I'd love to speak with any or all of you who have some leads that could be turned into an episode of EXU. You can reply to this message or PM here on treasure.net.

Thanks so much and it's nice to e-meet you all.

Sean

You have to check out my buddy Jeremy!

Jeremy Schiller
Email: [email protected]
Jeremy Schiller is living the “American Dream.” At 42, Jeremy owns a successful contracting business and has a wonderful family. He is also a serious gold and treasure hunter who has researched and prospected for over 20-years. Although he describes his greatest treasures as his wife of 17-years and their two little girls, Jeremy may have solved one of America’s greatest lost treasure mysteries - the key to the famed Superstition Mountain “Peralta Stones,” and how to read them.

The Peralta Stones are two 8” x 14” x 2” sandstone tablets, and a heart-shaped rock made of quartzite. The stone blocks, which bear the date 1847, are carved with symbols, lines, and dots. When they are placed side by side, and the stone heart is inserted into the indentation in one of the tablets, they become a map to the lost Peralta gold mines throughout the Superstition Mountains.

“I have a theory on how to understand the Peralta Stones,” says Schiller, “which I’ve tested through extensive research and boots on the ground in Arizona.” Most researchers have focused on the symbols carved into the stone tablets, but Jeremy believes the key to understanding them is in the geography of the Superstition Mountains themselves. “I stopped trying to understand the symbols and concentrated on the geography and topography depicted on the stones,” explains Schiller. “My photographic evidence alone convinced me I’m reading the stones correctly.”

Mr. Schiller plans to write a book about his discovery and is exploring the possibility of creating a reality television series, taking viewers on weekly adventures in search of the fabled Peralta gold mines depicted on the stones. The most famous of the lost Peralta mines, is rumored to be the “Lost Dutchman’s Gold Mine,” discovered by the infamous Jacob Waltz in the 1880s.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TreasureNet from Southern California Sean!

EXU is, hands down, The best Series on TV. Congrats on such a tremendous job! I record every show.

If you plan on doing a treasure hunting show, make sure it’s on the copious amount of trash we detectorists remove from the beach each day. Lol!

Josh has an awesome, humorous personality and is the greatest reason why I watch the show. Next to everything your show teaches and the places you travel to that is.

Please tell Josh to keep his coil parallel to the ground and not tilted up. Lol!
Best of luck with the new show! I’ll be watching.

RustyGold

Last edited:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Welcome to Tnet

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TreasureNet from Southern California Sean!

EXU is, hands down, The best Series on TV. Congrats on such a tremendous job! I record every show.

If you plan on doing a treasure hunting show, make sure it’s on the copious amount of trash we detectorists remove from the beach each day. Lol!

Josh has an awesome, humorous personality and is the greatest reason why I watch the show. Next to everything your show teaches and the places you travel to that is.

Please tell Josh to keep his coil parallel to the ground and not tilted up. Lol!
Best of luck with the new show! I’ll be watching.

RustyGold

Agree 100% with RustyGold, couldn't say it any better! Love the show...

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a “ run of the mill” metal detectorist, I enjoy the idea of adventure just as much as someone out looking for a hoard, or the Kings jewels. The obvious issue with shows that involve looking for “the big one” is...it’s incredibly unlikely they’re going to find it. Getting people who ACTUALLY know something about something that ACTUALLY exists is virtually impossible because of the potential payout involved. Most big caches or hoards are found by complete accident, not necessarily by following obscure leads or family dinner table tales. This is why that single person out using that metal detector he knows so well is infinitely more likely to find something of value...besides his decision to dig/not dig, site selection, etc.... his discovery was basically made by complete accident. He’s looking for a TYPE of thing, not a THING.
We all get that a large part of metal detecting/treasure hunting/fantasy trekking is the adventure itself. And as someone who finds shows about these activities fascinating because I can RELATE to them, I also understand that if the searchers don’t actually find much, the show has to have a strong narrative and entertaining presentation. For ME and those around me, the idea of “reality TV” has waned a great deal, and we want to see more REALITY in “reality TV”. There were a couple of metal detecting shows on awhile ago that could have had longevity, but many people got turned off by them because they turned into an advertisement for certain detector manufacturers...and they really turned into a clown show,IMHO.
Treasure hunting CAN be made to be entertaining with enough time spent and the proper editing to keep the viewers attention. Not everyone will get it, not everyone should. Treasure hunters/thrill seekers/adventurers are a slightly different breed. There’s a little bit of that in all of us. But in the end, the viewers(i.e. ME) want to see some kind of result. These results CAN be achieved and shown, but they will only come reliably at smaller scales.
Having a host who is COMMITTED, well spoken and willing to work with others on smaller scales to achieve a cumulative result would be a very welcome idea to a lot of us. In the end, since basically NOBODY in recent memory has found anything big of note, finding many smaller things provides the SUBSTANCE that “big treasure” shows reliably lack. One show that’s more seasons in that it should be comes to mind....something about an island....oak something....pits of money....I forget. Eventually the carrot in front of the rabbit starts to rot if the rabbit never gets to eat it. Digest it. Enjoy it. Remember it. Want it again.
Small scale hunting edited into a large scale outcome is where it’s at for me. This is my “reality”. This is the reality of everyone here. Anyone who has any LEGITIMATE leads on large treasure...not talking. I’d love to see a properly done show on the art of metal detecting, even if it’s only a 3-5 episode series. It’d give you something in the same vein to work with while working on other leads regarding somewhat larger treasure legends...

Oct 1, 2018
Western PA, Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't done much research into this myself, and I don't know if there's been an episode yet, but I'd say it is probably worth looking into the Jesuit missionaries that traveled north along the west coast. I remember hearing about somebody recently finding a copper cross and a few 1600s buttons in northern Michigan, hundreds of miles from the nearest Spanish stronghold. I know that they had a tendency to hide a lot of treasure along the way and at former missions.

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome!
Jon from s/e Michigan
8-):cat::occasion14::headbang:

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
There is a 'legend' that a ferry with a load of silver sank in Owens Lake. Owens lake is now a huge dry lake.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
As a “ run of the mill” metal detectorist, I enjoy the idea of adventure For ME and those around me, the idea of “reality TV” has waned a great deal, and we want to see more REALITY in “reality TV”. There were a couple of metal detecting shows on awhile ago that could have had longevity, but many people got turned off by them because they turned into an advertisement for certain detector manufacturers...and they really turned into a clown show,IMHO.
Well diggers was a clown show and as i said when it was on it was no more than a childish kid's show but some adults ate it up i had to quit watching it was so stupid.. But i will say that ....Expedition Unknown ...is a very good and interesting show.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well diggers was a clown show and as i said when it was on it was no more than a childish kid's show but some adults ate it up i had to quit watching it was so stupid.. But i will say that ....Expedition Unknown ...is a very good and interesting show.

Without a doubt on both counts. I can SEE the adventure in Josh’s eyes at times...the TRUE awe and amazement of what is in front of him. Capturing those genuine moments is not easy. The crew has their work cut out for them every episode, and they do an amazing job. I watch these shows for the entertainment that adventuring provides, as almost all of us don’t do it professionally. The stuff they are able to put together coupled with SOME degree of actual success in finding the subject at hand would put it right over the top.

firemanphob

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2018
Lanesville, IN
Detector(s) used
White Coin master 4000
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from Indiana. I would like to see the show focusing on U.S. searches and not so much foreign searches.

OP
OP
M

mantoothsean

Nov 25, 2019
Los Angeles
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the kudos guys. Everyone on the show works very hard so it's nice to know people enjoy the program.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If he ever goes searching for mermaids, I’m your man.
Just saying

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet mantoothsean, from Nick in CT! :hello:

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last year I switched to HULU and haven't been able to watch Expedition Unknown as much, but I am a huge fan of Expedition Unknown and it is mainly because of Josh's passion. His work on the Secret is amazing! I just saw the latest episode were they found the box in Boston. (mind blowing!)

Has discovery considered starting their own treasure hunt - Maybe something similar where you have to call and get to have Josh host you finding the treasure?
I would also be curious to know if there is any truth to W.C. Jameson stories of lost treasure he has not recovered.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread