Fake Cob on Ebay

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We will see how long it lasts...I sent him a message, waiting for reply.

Trez

Hangingfor8

Dec 16, 2007
New Smyrna Beach, Florida 32168
Detector(s) used
Minelab and Aquapulse
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey there,
Just out of curiosity... how can you tell? I'm not saying that's a fake or not, but what makes you think it's a fake? I don't know much about how too tell.... Can you explain?

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Has a big 0 feedback but wants someone to trust him for $3,750.00. I wouldnt trust him even if the picture looked good. No history. No Certificate of Authenticity.
eBay scam.jpg eBay cross.jpg

escudo8 1736.jpg
a nice 8 escudo 1736.

cybercop106

Sep 26, 2005
Back in the MO Ozarks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes; Garrett GTAx 1000, Bounty Hunter Tracker 2D/707 and a pair of Tracker II models
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's probably a COB replica button from some cheap suit..............

BTW, did you notice how shiny his fingertips were; like he doctored them or the pic to show no print lines!?!

Gary in Daytona

Tenderfoot
May 28, 2005
Daytona Area
Detector(s) used
Sov GT for daily beach hunting, Aquasound for when the surf allows it, Fisher F75 LTD for inland hunting, Troy X3 for micro gold and competition hunting.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who in their right mind would buy something for $3750 from two fuzzy pictures on ebay, much less from a dealer that had NO feedback. Genius. What a feeble attempt...

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I posted this same response on a similar thread:

Here's a link to: Report Problems with Purchase of Reproduction or Fake Antiques and Collectibles

http://collectors.org/Library/Hobby_Protection_Act.asp

Note this link also describes the requirements of the Hobby Protection Act (HPA) that (among other requirements, requires the word "COPY" be incursed into a 'for sale' coin-- with certain minimum specifications. I note no such word on this coin. I'll quickly add that I'm not qualified to judge the authenticity of this coin nor do I suggest this coin is not real. But if it is determined to be a copy, replica, reproduction, etc. then the requirements of the HPA apply.
Don.......

Patrol

Dec 4, 2006
Northeast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Whites Surf II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's see; No certificate of authenticity, not record of any other sales of any kind on Ebay, no physical address like a coin shop, etc., he is in a foreign country, fuzzy pictures.... Hmmmm, why would we be suspicious?

The coin may be a picture of a real coin,but, I doubt if he is. Very suspicious!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread