What's new

Familiar eagle -- unfamiliar item

kyphote

Hero Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2010
Messages
585
Reaction score
52
Golden Thread
0
Location
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, GPX 4800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this thin penny size fragment embossed with an eagle similar (if not, identical) to the eagle on the depicted half quarter. This is definitely not a coin, however, and when you flip it, you can see the same embossing in reverse (it's that thin). Is there any kind of button that bears this eagle or could this be the face or veneer to a counterfeit coin? I'm not an expert on counterfeits. Finally, I'm not even sure what kind of metal this is, only to say I don't think it's brass and that it doesn't respond to a magnet. Thanks for any insight.
 

Attachments

  • eagleFrontBack.webp
    eagleFrontBack.webp
    64.2 KB · Views: 311
Thinking a counterfeit. (brockage) Although I would think it would have been cast, so might squash that theory. If they struck mixed metal counterfeits like that I'll stick with my first thought.
 
Upvote 0
counterfeit seems likely
 
Upvote 0
I'll second IP's identification. Cast counterfeit, and probably made of pewter.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom