What's new

🥇 BANNER Fantastic Bayonet found at our school!

Kindle Farmers

Jr. Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2014
Messages
60
Reaction score
246
Golden Thread
1
Location
Vermont
🥇 Banner finds
1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone,

We at the Kindle Farm School are fortunate to have our campus located on a property that dates from the 1750's. Our treasure hunting class finds all kinds of neat items, but none so far as neat as this one! Last week while doing some trail building we uncovered this absolutely incredible bayonet. It was in found adjacent to a stream bed and either washed out of the hill side or was dug out of the stream while preparing it for the trail bridge. After comparing it to pictures we found online, it looks like those that were made between the time of the American Revolution and the Civil War. We haven't attempted to clean it yet, but it has the letter U followed by some other lettering on the side. Can anyone give a more specific date range for it? The integrity of the metal is incredible, its still razor sharp and has minimal rust issues. Should we use apple cider vinegar to restore it a bit?


Update: 3/31/16

A couple weeks ago we received and e-mail from Joe Serbaroli, author of European Bayonets of the American Civil War: A Guide to the Imported Bayonets of the Union and Confederacy, Including American-made Bayonets for Foreign Arms. He was able to provide some fantastic new information on our bayonet. While we received great information from members here and through our own research, Mr. Serbaroli offered some corrections and additions.

Our bayonet was manufactured in the city of Liege, in modern day Belgium between 1760 and 1780. Liege was one of the major arms manufacturing centers servicing many European powers and also private merchants. He was able to date the bayonet as being made after 1750 because the mortise (slot) has a 3rd step, as opposed to only 2 steps. The 3rd step or leg was an improvement first noted on French bayonets in the 1750's. A similar example to this Liege-made bayonet was excavated at Fort Ligonier, but has a 2-step mortise typical of the French & Indian War era. This particular bayonet might have been either issued to American colonial troops rather than British regulars during the French and Indian Wars; or it may also have been smuggled in during the American Revolution by a merchant. If it was smuggled in, it would have shipped from Amsterdam or Rotterdam and arrived in Portsmouth, NH as part of the business operations of smugglers like Patriot John Hancock. Once in the colonies, the serial number would have been hand engraved. The D would likely be the company number, and the N 826 would have been the weapon number.
Since our school is situated on a mid-1700's home site first owned by former New Hampshire settlers with a military background, the bayonet probably saw service during the American Revolution. This is not to say it was used in battle, but it would have been in the militia inventory and assigned to a militiaman.

We are currently in the process of building a display case to exhibit the bayonet and other finds from our area.

Also, with the start of 4th Quarter, the Treasure Hunting Class will once again be out in force! We will provide weekly updates of our finds, so stay tuned!

IMG_0251.webp
1.webpIMG_1050.webpIMG_1051.webpIMG_1052.webpIMG_1053.webpIMG_1054.webpIMG_1055.webpIMG_1056.webp
 
Last edited:
A beautiful and historically significant recovery, congratulations!
 
Congrats on a great find and welcome to the board! You may want to get a metal detector and give the area a good search,there may be other "goodies" in the area too! HH......
 
This post has it all. Those kids should be so proud of that find! I can say for myself that my metal detector changed my life and opened doors for me to view my local history on a personal level. I spent three years digging a R.R. Logging camp and with each find came a clearer picture, I can almost visualize the camp and its workers. Anything that was found that had a company name or patents to research were a bonus, and could send you researching individual finds that could spark other interests. Good luck to you and your students!
 
What do you mean?

In their previous post, they stated a fellow in London found the middle part of a bayonet. He said 15 inch piece. I believe they were correcting that to 1.5 inch. I know I shouldn't speak for them, but since they haven't replied, that is my take on it.
 
Thanks for sharing. I hope you have a Showcase at school that you can diplay your Finds. Also a Great Security Camera. goldnugget, Vote Banner
 
Welcome to Treasure Net and on making the BANNER Kindle! :occasion14:

It's been a while since I saw a bayonet find worthy of making the banner, congratulations! :thumbsup:

Dave
 
Thanks for sharing. I hope you have a Showcase at school that you can diplay your Finds. Also a Great Security Camera. goldnugget, Vote Banner

We will have our vocational crew build one. Our building is well alarmed and the Sheriff's Station is a quarter mile away.
 
If any other teachers out there are interested, I will be developing a curriculum to help guide this class going forward. It will be aligned with Common Core standards and VT State Standards across all subject areas (meaning it will cover content in science, social studies, math and ELA) at all grade levels. I'll be happy to share the curriculum and any lesson plans developed along with it.

I am an 8th grade special education teacher. Last year I started a metal detecting club with my students. They loved it! I would appreciate any curriculum and or lesson plans to help guide the club for next school year. I had a ton of interest in the club but had to limit the size because I only had 1 detector and pinpointer. Good luck with your future finds and congratulations on the great relic you found. This is the most interesting hobby!!
 
great find, great thread, and great members supporting the kids....awesome!
 
Hi everyone,

We at the Kindle Farm School are fortunate to have our campus located on a property that dates from the 1750's. Our treasure hunting class finds all kinds of neat items, but none so far as neat as this one! Last week while doing some trail building we uncovered this absolutely incredible bayonet. It was in found adjacent to a stream bed and either washed out of the hill side or was dug out of the stream while preparing it for the trail bridge. After comparing it to pictures we found online, it looks like those that were made between the time of the American Revolution and the Civil War. We haven't attempted to clean it yet, but it has the letter U followed by some other lettering on the side. Can anyone give a more specific date range for it? The integrity of the metal is incredible, its still razor sharp and has minimal rust issues. Should we use apple cider vinegar to restore it a bit?
View attachment 1169365View attachment 1169366View attachment 1169367View attachment 1169368View attachment 1169369View attachment 1169370View attachment 1169371View attachment 1169372

use rust mort on it. Rust mort is a product developed to turn iron oxcide back into iron so no metal is lost. You can buy it at a store that specializes in restoration of old cars wagons etc. Ive used it and was astonded at the result. When done the metal looks like it was never rusted and awaits for you to coat it with a perservative
 
The kids have a blast. We were able to buy 2 Garrett Ace 250's in the Fall. They have served us well, but now the class is so popular that we need to figure out a way to buy a few more to meet the demand.

Take a look at DonorsChoose online. I've had a lot of projects funded through there for my classes and this type of thing is out-of-the-ordinary enough that you'd probably get funded pretty quickly.
 
Fantastic artifact and fantastic program for the youth.
:thumbsup:
 
Awesome find, super post
 
This thread deserves some special award itself! The find is most certainly deserving of the banner, but the generosity of the members is just as incredible.

I agree 100%. Inspirational. Both oxbowbarefoot and the school are very deserving of high praise for providing a unique way to engage & teach the students. The selfless generosity of Bedford and some of the members here humbles me to no end. Bedford has my recommendation and my future business.
 
I definitely think I'd a like getting out of bed to go to school if they had activities such as treasure hunting when I was kid. That's so wonderful of you folks :thumbsup:
 
Thanks for the comments everyone. We will be getting out detecting this Wednesday, weather permitting. We've identified a few more local sites that might be pretty promising.
 
I agree 100%. Inspirational. Both oxbowbarefoot and the school are very deserving of high praise for providing a unique way to engage & teach the students. The selfless generosity of Bedford and some of the members here humbles me to no end. Bedford has my recommendation and my future business.


I havent said said anything about our donation since it was shipped because I do agree with Jeff - this thread should be focused on the find. But I do want to thank everyone who posted for the kind words. :) I'm happy to see we have some awesome members here who have also decided to help the kids - they should be commended as well!
 
Look what came in the mail today! The boys are excited! The rest of the class will get their chance tomorrow :thumbsup:

IMG_1117.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom