What's new

🥇 BANNER Fantastic Bayonet found at our school!

Kindle Farmers

Jr. Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2014
Messages
60
Reaction score
246
Golden Thread
1
Location
Vermont
🥇 Banner finds
1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone,

We at the Kindle Farm School are fortunate to have our campus located on a property that dates from the 1750's. Our treasure hunting class finds all kinds of neat items, but none so far as neat as this one! Last week while doing some trail building we uncovered this absolutely incredible bayonet. It was in found adjacent to a stream bed and either washed out of the hill side or was dug out of the stream while preparing it for the trail bridge. After comparing it to pictures we found online, it looks like those that were made between the time of the American Revolution and the Civil War. We haven't attempted to clean it yet, but it has the letter U followed by some other lettering on the side. Can anyone give a more specific date range for it? The integrity of the metal is incredible, its still razor sharp and has minimal rust issues. Should we use apple cider vinegar to restore it a bit?


Update: 3/31/16

A couple weeks ago we received and e-mail from Joe Serbaroli, author of European Bayonets of the American Civil War: A Guide to the Imported Bayonets of the Union and Confederacy, Including American-made Bayonets for Foreign Arms. He was able to provide some fantastic new information on our bayonet. While we received great information from members here and through our own research, Mr. Serbaroli offered some corrections and additions.

Our bayonet was manufactured in the city of Liege, in modern day Belgium between 1760 and 1780. Liege was one of the major arms manufacturing centers servicing many European powers and also private merchants. He was able to date the bayonet as being made after 1750 because the mortise (slot) has a 3rd step, as opposed to only 2 steps. The 3rd step or leg was an improvement first noted on French bayonets in the 1750's. A similar example to this Liege-made bayonet was excavated at Fort Ligonier, but has a 2-step mortise typical of the French & Indian War era. This particular bayonet might have been either issued to American colonial troops rather than British regulars during the French and Indian Wars; or it may also have been smuggled in during the American Revolution by a merchant. If it was smuggled in, it would have shipped from Amsterdam or Rotterdam and arrived in Portsmouth, NH as part of the business operations of smugglers like Patriot John Hancock. Once in the colonies, the serial number would have been hand engraved. The D would likely be the company number, and the N 826 would have been the weapon number.
Since our school is situated on a mid-1700's home site first owned by former New Hampshire settlers with a military background, the bayonet probably saw service during the American Revolution. This is not to say it was used in battle, but it would have been in the militia inventory and assigned to a militiaman.

We are currently in the process of building a display case to exhibit the bayonet and other finds from our area.

Also, with the start of 4th Quarter, the Treasure Hunting Class will once again be out in force! We will provide weekly updates of our finds, so stay tuned!

IMG_0251.webp
1.webpIMG_1050.webpIMG_1051.webpIMG_1052.webpIMG_1053.webpIMG_1054.webpIMG_1055.webpIMG_1056.webp
 
Last edited:
Totally Awesome!!! is what I can say about this post.
 
That is GREAT! I'm so glad you guys got them and happy to know that it's all about helping the kids! You guys are good teachers and parents for supporting your kids like this and my hat is off to you! Can't wait to see what they find now!

Look what came in the mail today! The boys are excited! The rest of the class will get their chance tomorrow :thumbsup:

View attachment 1172569
 
Congratulations to yall on the find. Looking forward to seeing more!
 
Ahhhh yes, sewing the seeds of future diggers. Well done teach, well done.
 
Just wanted to bring this wonderful find and story back to light where it belongs. Hope someone new is inspired by all the generosity included in posts and deeds contained in this thread. I hope the OP will update us with news of the kids.
 
Hey folks, How about an update. What have the kids been finding. I like to see the junk to. Let us know


HH, Relic Nut
 
Hey folks, How about an update. What have the kids been finding. I like to see the junk to. Let us know


HH, Relic Nut

we're on vacation this week. I'll get some updates for you when we get back on Monday!
 
Cool! Looking forward to it!
 
Hmmm.

What ever happened to these folks ?
 
Hmmm.

What ever happened to these folks ?

We're still here! As mentioned, it's school vacation week, so we will post our finds on Monday when we return. We learned an interesting story about our bayonet from the family that used to own the farm house where our school is based as well.
 
Here are some updated finds! Thanks again for all the support from the T-Net community!

IMG_2801.webpIMG_2802.webpIMG_2803.webp

Some of the finds include: 1700's shoe or knee buckle (broken), Ox knob (with horn still inside!), 4 musket balls, broken large crotal bell, skeleton key, some flat buttons, small horse shoe, brass latch and other bits, broken ox shoe, iron rings, toe plate, quartz arrowhead, cheap, swiss watch, pipe stems, 1942 wheat penny, 1892 Indian Head cent, 1838 Large Cent, cut Draped Bust Large cent, and a bent and holed KG copper. The ground it still frozen here in VT, but with the warm weather we are starting to thaw!
 
Last edited:
That's a great assortment of finds. Look forward to more posts. Thanks for sharing[emoji106]

HH, Relic Nut
 
This is my first post on T-net. Just wanted to say this thread inspired me to stop skulking around this site everyday and finally sign up! What a wonderful thing you are doing with these children. Getting kids really engaged and excited about our history is what this country needs more of. Keep up the phenomenal work.

I have to add: the kindness, generosity and support shown by all members of this site is astonishing and like nothing I have ever seen. I am proud to be a new member.
 
This is my first post on T-net. Just wanted to say this thread inspired me to stop skulking around this site everyday and finally sign up! What a wonderful thing you are doing with these children. Getting kids really engaged and excited about our history is what this country needs more of. Keep up the phenomenal work.

I have to add: the kindness, generosity and support shown by all members of this site is astonishing and like nothing I have ever seen. I am proud to be a new member.
Well said. Welcome aboard

HH, Relic Nut
 
This is my first post on T-net. Just wanted to say this thread inspired me to stop skulking around this site everyday and finally sign up! What a wonderful thing you are doing with these children. Getting kids really engaged and excited about our history is what this country needs more of. Keep up the phenomenal work.

I have to add: the kindness, generosity and support shown by all members of this site is astonishing and like nothing I have ever seen. I am proud to be a new member.

NH you say...won't be your last post I'll guarantee that!:laughing7:
 
If any other teachers out there are interested, I will be developing a curriculum to help guide this class going forward. It will be aligned with Common Core standards and VT State Standards across all subject areas (meaning it will cover content in science, social studies, math and ELA) at all grade levels. I'll be happy to share the curriculum and any lesson plans developed along with it.

You should make a posting on a site called "Teachers Pay Teachers". You can charge what you like, perhaps only a few dollars, perhaps nothing. Being a former teacher myself, many many more teaching eyes will see it there. It is your intellectual property and its righteous of you to share it to help your peers

Do you have a final picture of the bayonet after stabilization / preservation / cleaning (cringe I don't know it's proper to clean it)? Perhaps I missed it skimming through?
 
Last edited:
You should make a posting on a site called "Teachers Pay Teachers". You can charge what you like, perhaps only a few dollars, perhaps nothing. Being a former teacher myself, many many more teaching eyes will see it there. It is your intellectual property and its righteous of you to share it to help your peers

Do you have a final picture of the bayonet after stabilization / preservation / cleaning (cringe I don't know it's proper to clean it)? Perhaps I missed it skimming through?

Thanks for the tip. I've use TPT for other lessons and units I've created in the past. I'm still working on developing the curriculum for it, last summer was a little too busy to sit down and map it out.

Additionally, we recently received a lot of new information on our Bayonet that we will be posting soon (I want the students to help write it up, as this was a school find and not a personal one). Check back in a few days for the updates!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom