Hi Ray how are you doing? I had one of those H&R 9 shots also at one point.I think i paid 35 bucks for it off of a friend,early 80s i believe.That gun didnt like me for some reason

After owning it for a while the casings use to get jammed in the cylinder,what a pain in my you know what. I tried everything,even polishing the chamber walls with fine emery cloth and then crocus cloth. Actually i use to strip all my guns down and polish the parts using only crocus cloth being careful not to remove to much metal.There were times i had to stick a thin screw driver down the cylinder holes and bang the casings out with a hammer.I never owned another H&R after that. I use to wear my holster low too, the pistols handle a little higher than my hand when its hanging at my side.Tying the bottom of the holster with a string around your thigh helps quite a bit too. When i first started i dropped the gun many a time too,you werent alone

. I used pillows piled around my feet when i practiced in my bedroom

I also use to use an old car of mine as a target,minus the gas tank ,engine,tranmission. Dont believe the movies when the hero hides behinds a car during a gunfight.

For an example of 12 gauge slug penetration I used federal 1 1/4 ounce slugs in a remington 870 pump. From about 25 yards I aimed at the corner of the passenger side quarter panel above the tail light. The slug went through the quarter panel through the back seat through the front seat through the dashboard out the firewall and through the fender. Lesson,dont hide behind a car if somebody is shooting slugs at you lol. I did alot of experimenting with bullet penetration. .22s have more penetration than most people think. Point blank out of a rifle a .22 will go through 2 2" by 6" planks and bury itself in the 3rd. A .22 will go completely through 2 car doors unless it hits the window mechanism. .38 specials arent much of a penetration round. Neither is 20 gauge 00 buckshot,it only put dents a 55 gallon steel drum.One 12 gauge load i made up was pretty effective, pull the 00 buckshot out and replace it with .50 muzzle loading lead. Ball bearings were pretty nasty too

. One fun gun i had was a .22 copy of an M16. It held 17 in the mag and one in the chamber. Nice plinking gun, lots of rounds to make the tincans dance. An M1 carbine is alot of fun to shot too.Back in the day i picked one up for i think 185 bucks,Ive been checking prices on them lately and its become ridiculous, I mean 600 to 800 for one..Yup im kicking myself in the a$$ for selling mine lol. One .22 semi auto rifle i had,stevens savage,i forget the model but it was tube mag fed.Every once and a while it would go full automatic.One time the ejector ripped the .22 casing in half and left the other half stuck in the chamber,the next round that went through went off with it only halfway in the chamber.Made my ears ring for quite a while. I retired that gun after that lol. Never had any problems with the ruger .41, if anybody is looking for a single action pistol for hunting etc. i highly suggest it. Same with the remington 870 pump, both nice guns and they wont let you down. I never even came close to having an accident with a gun, as long as you always respect it they will serve you. I did my share of fooling around but i never lost a bit of respect. Let your guard down once through neglect and disrespect you could pay for it. As Alan ladd said in the movie shane "a gun is a tool and its only as good or as bad as the man holding it". The same applies to a knife a hammer or driving a car.
Very interesting posts gentlemen: More. I had a long page set up last night, but somehow, it disappeared between sending and appearing in here. I will repost it tonight.
I hate it when that happens Tayopa,get it up lets read it lol. I dont get to talk guns to much anymore with anybody.Its getting in my blood again lol.