What's new

Few recent goodies

theviking

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2009
Messages
1,404
Reaction score
921
Golden Thread
0
Location
Blue ridge mts, Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
A couple of finds from around the property. First a decent Savannah River, made from some fine grained Quartzite . Then a broken blade, would have been nice, not sure of the material. Also found a few Jasper flake tool looking things and a nice old marble. Thanks for looking. H.H.
 

Attachments

  • DSC_1061 (1024x681).webp
    DSC_1061 (1024x681).webp
    52.7 KB · Views: 137
  • DSC_1062 (1024x681).webp
    DSC_1062 (1024x681).webp
    48.5 KB · Views: 143
  • DSC_1064 (1024x679).webp
    DSC_1064 (1024x679).webp
    24.4 KB · Views: 140
  • DSC_1071 (1024x681).webp
    DSC_1071 (1024x681).webp
    34.7 KB · Views: 129
  • DSC_1073 (1024x680).webp
    DSC_1073 (1024x680).webp
    47.6 KB · Views: 124
  • DSC_1067 (1024x681).webp
    DSC_1067 (1024x681).webp
    47.7 KB · Views: 128
  • DSC_1076 (1024x681).webp
    DSC_1076 (1024x681).webp
    25.3 KB · Views: 138
Upvote 0
From what I have found and seen others pick up I would say 99% of SV's in my area are made of local material. I have picked up severial hundred, counting brokes the past forty years and it seems the Indians of that period didn't travel or trade much. Or the material worked for what they needed it for. Most in my area are made of quartz. Then quartzite along with some grainy slate and some shale type material I believe. The material on some is so poor it's hard to recongize it as being an artifact.
004 (800x600).webp002 (800x600) (3).webp759.webp001 (800x600).webp004 (800x600) (3).webp012 (800x600).webp
 
Looks like you have a bunch of rayholite there
 
Good info guys. Wow, several hundred Savannah Rivers, wow. I think I would have to build an addition just to display them all. As I look back at only the pieces from our garden, I have a few Savannahs and a few tools made from Jasper and other black and gray colored chert. Maybe they saved the good stuff for the tools and used the Quartzite for all those large Savannah blades. Thats not to say we don't find tools made from Quartzite, because I find plenty of those as well, but maybe they preferred chert tools. Here's an example of a few garden pieces, a broken Savannah and a jasper knife, or flake tool of some kind.
 

Attachments

  • DSC_8867 (800x532).webp
    DSC_8867 (800x532).webp
    45.6 KB · Views: 78
All great finds boss !!!
 
Cool! That first point is a really nice nice find. :icon_thumleft: Is the one in the fourth photo a triangle point or the mid section of one? Just curious.
 
Thanks guys. The piece in the fourth pic is a mid section, its a rather well made thin blade. I think the material is black chert. I put a little mineral oil on it to mask the hazy white patina and got a few better pics, shame its only a mid section.
 

Attachments

  • DSC_1080 (1024x680).webp
    DSC_1080 (1024x680).webp
    22.7 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC_1081 (1024x574).webp
    DSC_1081 (1024x574).webp
    12.7 KB · Views: 64
nice finds all of yall. Thanks for showing.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom