What's new

Few recent goodies

theviking

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2009
Messages
1,404
Reaction score
921
Golden Thread
0
Location
Blue ridge mts, Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
A couple of finds from around the property. First a decent Savannah River, made from some fine grained Quartzite . Then a broken blade, would have been nice, not sure of the material. Also found a few Jasper flake tool looking things and a nice old marble. Thanks for looking. H.H.
 

Attachments

  • DSC_1061 (1024x681).webp
    DSC_1061 (1024x681).webp
    52.7 KB · Views: 137
  • DSC_1062 (1024x681).webp
    DSC_1062 (1024x681).webp
    48.5 KB · Views: 143
  • DSC_1064 (1024x679).webp
    DSC_1064 (1024x679).webp
    24.4 KB · Views: 140
  • DSC_1071 (1024x681).webp
    DSC_1071 (1024x681).webp
    34.7 KB · Views: 129
  • DSC_1073 (1024x680).webp
    DSC_1073 (1024x680).webp
    47.6 KB · Views: 124
  • DSC_1067 (1024x681).webp
    DSC_1067 (1024x681).webp
    47.7 KB · Views: 128
  • DSC_1076 (1024x681).webp
    DSC_1076 (1024x681).webp
    25.3 KB · Views: 138
Upvote 0
Nice Viking! I think it took a high skill to deal with quartz and that Savannah R. Is a nice example. Are you detecting any in that area after finding the clay marble? Glad you shared and good luck!
 
Thanks for the reply folks. I have tried detecting most of our ten acres, cant find anything but modern coins and shell casings. The marble I found in the creek, I think it came from a house site up creek from me on private property leased for hunting. Might have to join that hunting club. Thanks again, H.H.
 
I really like that sugar quartz Savannah.. Nice finds I'm glad the weather is finally warming up for you guys
 
nice ones Viking.That marble is really nice too.
 
Nice! I like that type quartz.
 
That Savannah River is really nice. Thanks for sharing.
 
You had a great hunt! And right on your own property too, you lucky dog ;) Great looking Savanna and jasper. Don't see much of that around these parts. Good job :thumbsup:
 
Most if not all SR points are made from quartz material I wonder why they didn't use flint for them. Nice finds on that hunt
 
ForumRunner_20150323_080723.webp

check it out this one is coral
 
Thanks Rock. Thats a good question I'm not sure I can answer. Out of over 20 Savannah's found here only 2 are made of something other than Quartzite, I think. I suppose the answer may be just the fact that it was the most abundant, usable material in a given location. The one on the left may be Hornfels, the one on the right may be a different type of Quartzite, not sure.



Killer piece of coral, Gator. Thanks for the pic.
 

Attachments

  • DSC_1084 (1024x681).webp
    DSC_1084 (1024x681).webp
    72 KB · Views: 106
Nice finds... the Savannah River type is such a classic form I really like.
I've seen several made of rayholite also.
I agree I think it depended on the abundance of particular material in the area

ForumRunner_20150323_115148.webp
 
I hope it's okay just in the interest of different material here are a couple from Florida made of chert

ForumRunner_20150323_120151.webp



ForumRunner_20150323_120203.webp
 
We have plenty of flint here but they always make them out of quartz and quartzite in my area.
 
It might say something about what was available during the period of time in your area.. a lot of things change over thousands of years.. Floods droughts rivers changing course all those things can expose material or cover it.. just a thought.
That could be something interesting to look further into sounds like something that would get me researching
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom