Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ran'm at Purdone Crossing on the SF Yuba. Thought it was Feldler but soooo long ago don't really matter anymore. If you trust tubes they all used them. 1 leak and adios everything. Straight in conical feed like a Dahlke of old was horrible. The T bone frame was a good idea for stability. In the pic is a 6" amongst a few pebbles under the bridge. Made in the 70s mostly.NASTY spot-John

Attachments

• 03-25-2011 01;08;27PM.JPG
    03-25-2011 01;08;27PM.JPG
    219.2 KB · Views: 204

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yup, saw that one too, I don't much care for it, but I have options. lol

panningjack

Apr 16, 2013
Nampa, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3
I rock something similar. My components were made by gold divers. It sucks hard and I've modified the sluice to catch the fine stuff. Haven't had it out on big water yet, but it seems pretty stable on a raging creek. image-400765073.jpg

Ps. My dredge is currently on craigslist as well. Need some cash since the truck broke down.

Last edited:

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of turbulence in the box with them being so narrow. Pontoons or drums are much better then those old inner tube frames. They were rickety frames at best. I think a 3" box was only 10" wide where the Keene is 14" wide so the water really flew down them and they were deep boxes. I only had one and that was long ago. Part of the box was just raised riffles with no carpet under for a nugget catch. They were definitely made for when there was a lot of big gold still easily found in the rivers.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just hate it when them tubies roll over and play submarine....bummer. Old school T bone frames sure fixed that problem though,along with swivel nozzles also. Just never could trust them tubes though-John

Gelmac

Apr 30, 2012
Sudan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By using inner tubes they have something in common with the (suitcase dredge). If you're not familiar with those they are originally designed by Trevor (Trev) Alty of New Zealand . Who was the father of the fine gold device that Mike Pung has developed around it's principals his product the (Gold Cube). I think the difference is in the riffles , which in the case of the suitcase dredge are a bit higher and the with no (I suppose) screen area and they work sub-water so fine gold recovery suffers badly as they are not designed for it , those were as Reed mentions are for the big easy gold of the past or if you happen to have a virgin ground that no history of dredging before. Chances that you may be lucky to find those BIG nuggets or at least pickers.

Gelmac

Apr 30, 2012
Sudan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey panningjack. Do your dredge still available, or sold. Sorry, I know this is not the right part of the forum to strike a deal. :tongue3:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually all dredges were underwater in the beginning. Keene made the Gold Sucker waaaaaay back in the early 70s. They still make 2 kinds, the powerjet unit(horrendous recovery due to remix at the tiny box)and the suction nozzle style with no remix at the box for much better recovery. Trevs suitcase took the idea to a new rate of recovery in that great land a NZ-John

panningjack

Apr 16, 2013
Nampa, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3
I do fear branches and what not with those tubes. However I have such large tubes that it is pretty stable

Gelmac replied in pm

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions