Finally after 30+ years I got one....

Shorty Buckshot

Aug 19, 2012
Northeast Indiana
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every since I was about 15 years old I have wanted a wooden Indian....there is no rhyme or reason as to why really....I do like unusual things and I guess a wooden Indian kinda fits that category.

My wife and I spend most Saturdays going to garage sales in additions around the area....she usually gets the truck loaded up with her finds, I rarely find anything I would like...last weekend we hit at addition wide garage sale....it was late in the afternoon and we were about done for the day...we came upon a garage sale off the beaten path and decided to stop....and there it was!!

Sitting on a table at the back of the garage was a 48" tall, hand carved wooden indian! I checked it out pretty closely and asked the lady running the sale how much she was asking.....she said her husband had gotten it at an estate sales many years ago. She said it had been in a closet for years and they had forgotten they even had it until they were cleaning out closets for the sale. So she says they paid $75 for it at the sale, would that be too much? I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough.....I was ecstatic....after 40 or more years, I finally got a wooden Indian...

Sorry for the long read...thanks for looking.....Shorty

image.jpg

Love it! I got the same bug for odd things :) glad to see someone so dedicated to find something. And then to find it :)
So happy for you!
Wickaboag.

Great find,congrats. Took me 50+ yrs to finally get something decent at a y.s. 1. Proof 1989 "Silver Eagle" dollar and 1. 1889 Morgan Dollar in great shape......

I'm the same way. Spent most of my adult looking for a functioning orrery. Even a broken one I could fix. Love the indian.

Congrats! He's a handsome rascal. I too, have always been wanting a wooden indian. Even thought bout carving my own because the ones I have run across just did not have the right look. :icon_thumright:

Wow. What a great find. That's a BANNER find for sure. Anyone know how to bring this Indian to Jeff's attention? Been looking for something like this for many, many years. Seen nothing close to the workmanship and quality. The closest I've came was one in 100 times worse shape and appearance than yours and the shop was asking 3K. Owner said she had turned down as much as $2500 for the thing. Bet you got something worth some semi-serious money to the right collector. But if you are like me, the Indian is now priceless. You are one lucky you know what. I'm dead serious about the BANNER. Would be a sin for that Indian not be up there for everyone to see. Many, many Congrat's.

Wow. What a great find. That's a BANNER find for sure. Anyone know how to bring this Indian to Jeff's attention? Been looking for something like this for many, many years. Seen nothing close to the workmanship and quality. The closest I've came was one in 100 times worse shape and appearance than yours and the shop was asking 3K. Owner said she had turned down as much as $2500 for the thing. Bet you got something worth some semi-serious money to the right collector. But if you are like me, the Indian is now priceless. You are one lucky you know what. I'm dead serious about the BANNER. Would be a sin for that Indian not be up there for everyone to see. Many, many Congrat's.
Good luck with the banner. None of us on the garage sale forum has ever made the banner. The powers that be don't believe our finds are worthy enough for it. Myself and others have found many an item that are rare, valuable and sometimes even historically significant at sales, doesn't even get noticed. That is a nice quality looking Indian though for sure.:thumbsup:

That is a great find, dug or not. It would look great in the corner of your library or man cave. It is in awesome shape, too.

The banner is a joke most of the time to be on banner it is who you know not what your item is.. I have seen very common bottle on the banner before...

Well i think he should get a banner for that find............. I have been looking for a deal on a cigar store indian for years but have not found one yet........... I see them on ebay but no real deals there........

The banner is a joke most of the time to be on banner it is who you know not what your item is.. I have seen very common bottle on the banner before...
.......... It is sad but that is the way it is with just about every thing..... who you know not what you know or did........

.......... It is sad but that is the way it is with just about every thing..... who you know not what you know or did........
Like the old saying goes, it holds true. I agree, it is sad and sometimes it's plain..."just not right".

The native indian seems like a little buddy! fun to have near the hearth or cabin

If we can't get this Indian on the BANNER, how about we hunt down a couple of the Mod's and Water Board them? No, just kidding Oh Masters of the Access Denied Key. But come on now, look at the picture of this Indian. In any treasure hunters book, this is a real FIND and deserves to be seen by members who don't prowl the Garage Sale Forums. How about it Mods? Share.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back