What's new

Finally cleaned up that watch that I found the other day.....

lorraine

Silver Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2010
Messages
4,474
Reaction score
3,764
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This watch is a bracelet style watch...I really like it, but it is ruined beyond repair; must have been lost many years ago.

I was just curious to find out what the face looked like prior to falling prey to the salty ocean so I electrolyzed it and here is the "before " and "after"

Thanks for looking

Lorraine
 

Attachments

  • Picture_7286.webp
    Picture_7286.webp
    40.9 KB · Views: 738
Upvote 0
:icon_thumleft: OMG!!!! Beautiful job cleaning that watch, that's a real beauty!!!!! :icon_thumright: Red
 
Incredible!!!! I'm gonna send you a box of my stuff...
 
Thanks , Red and Cntrydncr.

It's the electrolysis process that did the job; I just supervised. ;D

Lorraine
 
Nice Jog Lorraine. Too bad it was not a wearer.
 
You did a great job on cleaning up that watch. Now it doesn't look like you found it in the dirt. :thumbsup:
 
I thought you would be able to clean it up to look
almost beand new... not disappointed at all. WTG.
Gold Nuggets :hello:
 
Awesome job cleaning up that watch. It looks great! WTG
 
Thank you , everyone for the kind words. :)

It was fun uncovering this watch.

Now I better start my Spring house cleaning!

Lorraine
 
You sure did not surprise me with your ability to clean that watch up. You do a fantastic job on clean ups! WTG
 
wow!!! thats a huge difference. to bad the internals wont work. soak it in wd-40 for a couple weeks then rince and clean with achohol. might work!!!
 
seeker41 said:
wow!!! thats a huge difference. to bad the internals wont work. soak it in wd-40 for a couple weeks then rince and clean with achohol. might work!!!

I'll try it....but I think it has moisture and bits of dirt inside the face... might have to also take it apart to clean the inside.

Lorraine
 
You did an AMAZING job Lorraine! Do you have any useful links with information on the art of electrolysis? At some point I need to give it a try.

lorraine said:
This watch is a bracelet style watch...I really like it, but it is ruined beyond repair; must have been lost many years ago.

I was just curious to find out what the face looked like prior to falling prey to the salty ocean so I electrolyzed it and here is the "before " and "after"

Thanks for looking

Lorraine
 
Thanks for the link! I don't have a setup as of yet. Did you build your own or buy some kind of kit?
 
Tony in FL said:
Thanks for the link! I don't have a setup as of yet. Did you build your own or buy some kind of kit?

My brother build one for me...here's pics of it
 

Attachments

  • ec.webp
    ec.webp
    16.4 KB · Views: 489
  • cooking.webp
    cooking.webp
    43.3 KB · Views: 464
You should use a switchable power supply. You are making too many bubbles. What you want is just a little fizz, not a lot of bubbles, which means you are really tearing it up. You will definitly ruin something valuable. Usually it will tear up a silver item much worse than any other way to clean it. You need to be able to switch to the load you are working with. If you go to Radio Shack, I am sure they can hook you up. Dont use a battery. Your watch came out nice though. And your Brother's mix of 1 Tbs of Washing Soda to 1 Qt of water is a good one. I have seen some using salt, and I cant figure out why they would even think that would be good. The exact opposite of what you should be using.
 
stevemc said:
You should use a switchable power supply. You are making too many bubbles. What you want is just a little fizz, not a lot of bubbles, which means you are really tearing it up. You will definitly ruin something valuable. Usually it will tear up a silver item much worse than any other way to clean it. You need to be able to switch to the load you are working with. If you go to Radio Shack, I am sure they can hook you up. Dont use a battery. Your watch came out nice though.

Thanks for the info, Steve...I can't remember what caused all that bubbling; that's an old photo... because I usually see just a minor "fizz" while the item is being electrolyzed.

I'll check out Radio Shack and see if they can help me with a switchable power supply.

Lorraine
 
Lorraine, see if they have one that has a low to higher range. amperage. So you can start low and work your way up. Maybe .25 and up to 2 amp. Something like that. You can plug it in to the wall, and let it work.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom