What's new

Finally, Finally, FINALLY...Victorian Silver...

romeo-1

Gold Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2005
Messages
9,863
Reaction score
7,127
Golden Thread
3
Location
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...but not what I expected. I have been re-concentrating on my own property this past week with some success. I have only been detecting for a year and had hit my side field frequently in the beginning. I started finding many copper token from the early 1800's so I knew I had found a decent area. Most of the token I have found have been very crusty and almost unreadable. The most recent was found a couple days ago and that was also the best condition copper. I posted it...1832 Nova Scotia Thistle Penny. I was commenting to a friend two days ago about the fact that I have dug over a dozen coppers but no silver. That changed last night.

I don't know how I missed it. I have hunted this area dozens of times but I guess I just didn't get the coil over the exact spot. When I did get it over it it rang up very clear! I pinpointed and dug and found it inside the plug. When I first saw the glint of silver I immediately thought "tombac button" because the last thing I expected was silver. I then saw Queen Victoria and knew I had a coin. It is a very early Queen Victoria and based on the size of the coin and the reeded edge I thought I had an early Canadian quarter. The reverse was still caked in soil and I did not want to risk damage to the coin so I didn't do any field cleaning. I continued detecting for a little while but couldn't contain myself much longer so I headed home.

When I got home I checked the reverse under the loop but still could not see the date. I then ran some water over it and that's when I saw what I thought was 1859! Great! A very early Canadian Quarter. Then I saw One Shilling and that the date was actually 1839! Even better? It cleaned up great! This is the 2nd oldest silver that I have found to date...next to the 1798 8 reale. Thanks for looking!
 

Attachments

  • 1839 shilling.webp
    1839 shilling.webp
    48 KB · Views: 844
Upvote 0
Romeo: Congrats on the QV Silver, that's the way to do it brother! Never give up on a place that's giving things up. Even if it is your own yard.
HH

Desertfox
 
Perhaps one of our friends from the UK could give me a guess as to value?...
 
Very nice find! Congrats!
 
What a beauty! I'd love to find out its value, too. What a great find!
 
Quite rare for me to get one as good as that, so must be a super rare find for you.

WELL DONE.

As I always say, any silvers a good day.
 
CONGRATS ROMEO!!! What a neat find. Very cool looking coin.
-MM-
 
Sweet silver...go look for more.
 
A very nice coin - well done
 
Prober said:
Sweet silver...go look for more.

I'll be back there this evening...fingers crossed!
 
Beautiful coin!!! Congrats!
 
Your land sounds like a nice old place to hunt. I've done the same thing.

Hunted my yard over and over. Maybe 50 times. Then all the sudden found a standing lib quarter. I think we miss items often. All you have to do is miss one small blade of grass.

I also think items over theose times come off of tilts. I think we also hit them in diff directions.

Anyhow great looking old silver man. I'm sure there is more out there.

HH Jer
 
That coin is in very good shape!

I hope it's a rare one!

Nice job on not scratching it!


Congrats!



Ridley
 
Not unlike yourself, I hunted my property a lot when I was first starting out....One day I get a nice tone and dug up a gorgeous gold 14th level Scottish rite ring. I am so glad you were able to hit such a nice find on your place!

Congrats
~Nash~
 
Congrats romeo great looking shilling, I love Victorian silver they'er getting
rarer to find.

Dave.
 
Awesome find and congrats! The oldest coin from my land was an 1856 copper. HH, Mike
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom