What's new

Finally, Finally, FINALLY...Victorian Silver...

romeo-1

Gold Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2005
Messages
9,863
Reaction score
7,127
Golden Thread
3
Location
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...but not what I expected. I have been re-concentrating on my own property this past week with some success. I have only been detecting for a year and had hit my side field frequently in the beginning. I started finding many copper token from the early 1800's so I knew I had found a decent area. Most of the token I have found have been very crusty and almost unreadable. The most recent was found a couple days ago and that was also the best condition copper. I posted it...1832 Nova Scotia Thistle Penny. I was commenting to a friend two days ago about the fact that I have dug over a dozen coppers but no silver. That changed last night.

I don't know how I missed it. I have hunted this area dozens of times but I guess I just didn't get the coil over the exact spot. When I did get it over it it rang up very clear! I pinpointed and dug and found it inside the plug. When I first saw the glint of silver I immediately thought "tombac button" because the last thing I expected was silver. I then saw Queen Victoria and knew I had a coin. It is a very early Queen Victoria and based on the size of the coin and the reeded edge I thought I had an early Canadian quarter. The reverse was still caked in soil and I did not want to risk damage to the coin so I didn't do any field cleaning. I continued detecting for a little while but couldn't contain myself much longer so I headed home.

When I got home I checked the reverse under the loop but still could not see the date. I then ran some water over it and that's when I saw what I thought was 1859! Great! A very early Canadian Quarter. Then I saw One Shilling and that the date was actually 1839! Even better? It cleaned up great! This is the 2nd oldest silver that I have found to date...next to the 1798 8 reale. Thanks for looking!
 

Attachments

  • 1839 shilling.webp
    1839 shilling.webp
    48 KB · Views: 844
Upvote 0
I would like vic silver too I have a 1902 dime & a 1873 seated half dime but still no vic silver....... :-X :-X :-X congrats on the nice find..
 
awesome coin !!! totally awesome....... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
 
wow, romeo! Beautiful silver!! WTG ;D
 
Sweet find for sure! The condition is fantastic too ;D
 
you get the cat for that
index.php
 
CONGRATS ROMEO!!!
 
Really beautiful coin Romeo, congrats and thanks for sharing.

Smiles!
BDoo
 
I was back out there this afternoon for an hour and managed to scrape up a couple flat colonial buttons...no backmarks. I am starting to amass a huge flat button collection! I am hoping for some more old silver but I have really hit this area hard to I am not counting on it!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom