πŸ₯‡ BANNER Finally found one - 1785 Nova Constellatio!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This coin has eluded me for years, until yesterday. But then I only know of two others that have been found in SW PA. It's a 1785 Nova Constellatio. These coins were minted in Birmingham, England and shipped to the US right after the Revolutionary War. I included a picture from the coin book. Mine is the one in the lower left.
I also found a 1794 Liberty Cap US large cent. Unfortunately, it's a little beat up.

Nova Front 1.jpg

Nova Front.jpg

Nova Back.jpg

Coin Book.jpg

Liberty Cap.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 95

Fredneck

May 7, 2005
Detector(s) used
GPX 5000, ORX, White's XLT, AT Gold for Fresh Water
Nice one Steve !! Probably dropped by one of my ancestors, being some of the first inhabitants of the areas you dig. My brother and I are planning a short trip up for a little more family research and I was hoping to get in a dig on one of the family sites, so might have to look ya up for resource.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice one Steve !! Probably dropped by one of my ancestors, being some of the first inhabitants of the areas you dig. My brother and I are planning a short trip up for a little more family research and I was hoping to get in a dig on one of the family sites, so might have to look ya up for resource.
What counties are you talking about? A lot of Virginians settled in SW PA.

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This coin has eluded me for years, until yesterday. But then I only know of two others that have been found in SW PA. It's a 1785 Nova Constellatio. These coins were minted in Birmingham, England and shipped to the US right after the Revolutionary War. I included a picture from the coin book. Mine is the one in the lower left.
I also found a 1794 Liberty Cap US large cent. Unfortunately, it's a little beat up.

View attachment 2058084
View attachment 2058085
View attachment 2058086
View attachment 2058087
liberty cap has a sweet patina, congrats on the Nova nice thousand dollar coin
!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2058084
View attachment 2058085
View attachment 2058086
View attachment 2058087
Very Cool!!!!! Congrats!!!!!

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find, they are such interesting coins. They saw heavy circulation in the early days of our country. The Redbook only lists major varieties, there are actually five different 1785 script US, pointed ray varieties. Yours is Crosby 3-B.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find, they are such interesting coins. They saw heavy circulation in the early days of our country. The Redbook only lists major varieties, there are actually five different 1785 script US, pointed ray varieties. Yours is Crosby 3-B.
Thanks. I was also told Crosby 3-B by a friend on Facebook.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

View attachment 2058084
View attachment 2058085
View attachment 2058086
View attachment 2058087
Congrats on the incredible old coppers! And finally digging your Nova. That site had some really old activity.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread