Finally the truth! Sort of...

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Was talking to a guy about detecting and he mentioned that he knew a guy that bought a DFX and paid for it in clad the first few months he owned it. I was totally blown away. Then I kept asking questions and he finally told me the guy detects 10 hours a day and 12 on the weekends and almost never misses a day. If I had time to take on another full-time job I guess I could have a DFX too!!!

By the way the first guy in the story was a dealer trying to sell me a DFX. Anyone else have similar experiences? This helped me to put a lot into perspective. I gues when I go out for three hours at a time and find thirty cents in clad and a few other keeper items I aint doin to bad.

Upvote 0

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Highly unlikely. Very few people have that much time to hunt. I could see him paying for it in finds(Gold ) or over a longer period . ???

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen some great totals in clad....I don't get out but maybe once or twice a week but the coins do add up. It would take me a few years..or until I retire...

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
Well, we all know that the more you go out, the more you'll find. And luck also plays a big part of it.

As for me, the first detector I bought was a Whites Surfmaster PI. I took it out as a demo from my local shop, went to the park and hunted for about 2 hours. I found a bunch of clad, and a nice little diamond ring. On my way back to the shop, I cleaned up the ring, and stopped at a pawn shop (Hey, it was my first experience detecting). They gave me $500 for the ring. I went back to the shop, put the detector on the counter, along with $250. I told the owner that I found a ring and pawned it, and since it was his detector, he should get 1/2. He said "let me keep the deposit ($100) and the detector is yours"... so in theory, my finds paid for my first detector.

I paid for my DFX, I paid for that the next summer, with finds from my Surfmaster. I didn't detect much in '02 and 03... just a few times, but summer of '04 I hit the dry beaches hard with the DFX... and bought my first Excalibur at the end of the summer

steve

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
spez401 said:
Well, we all know that the more you go out, the more you'll find. And luck also plays a big part of it.

As for me, the first detector I bought was a Whites Surfmaster PI. I took it out as a demo from my local shop, went to the park and hunted for about 2 hours. I found a bunch of clad, and a nice little diamond ring. On my way back to the shop, I cleaned up the ring, and stopped at a pawn shop (Hey, it was my first experience detecting). They gave me $500 for the ring. I went back to the shop, put the detector on the counter, along with $250. I told the owner that I found a ring and pawned it, and since it was his detector, he should get 1/2. He said "let me keep the deposit ($100) and the detector is yours"... so in theory, my finds paid for my first detector.

I paid for my DFX, I paid for that the next summer, with finds from my Surfmaster. I didn't detect much in '02 and 03... just a few times, but summer of '04 I hit the dry beaches hard with the DFX... and bought my first Excalibur at the end of the summer

steve

Okay Steve where do you live, I am coming to stay with you for a while so you can show me how it's done. ;D

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
I bought a DFX and paid it off in clad the first time out. This is a TRUE story too!! Of course I only paid a dime for it and found eleven cents the first time out. Did I mention the dime was a 1992-D error coin? Anyways, I paid a dime and it paid itself off the first time out. I believe I am an exception to the rule tho! ;D

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
birdman said:
Highly unlikely. Very few people have that much time to hunt. I could see him paying for it in finds(Gold ) or over a longer period . ???

Don't be so sure. I've got a friend who hunts seven days a week usually between 6-8 hours a day. Only time he's not out hunting is when he's working or its raining. He's 51, divorced and spending all his time digging. He bought a bigfoot coil for $219 and had it pay for itself in less than six weeks. Most of us don't have the luxury to hunt as often as we do, but there are those that do!

S

skydiv

he can't be hunting the same place so he has to be burning up alot of gas going to different places.

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
It is possible, but hard to do. I look at the machine paying for itself with a little money I may find, as well as the enjoyment which accounts for the majority. Finding something foolish sometimes is worth alot.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i wish i had that kind of time to devote to any hobby! usually i get out once a week for 3 or 4 hours. ive usually had enough after 4 hours.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As basically a beach hunter we spend more time looking for the lost jewelry, and it adds up faster. A good mans ring, 14 k will generally scrap out at 50$-$100. I have yet to sale them, wife gets first choice on my finds, what she doesn't take goes on a necklace I have. I do weigh them, then check their value on Midwest refineries, then they go on my necklace.

I do hunt parks and play grounds, and have found silver and gold rings there, but much perfer the beaches. I average about 10 hours a week probably hunting both.

Good luck and good hunting. ;D

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Treasure_Hunter said:
As basically a beach hunter we spend more time looking for the lost jewelry, and it adds up faster. A good mans ring, 14 k will generally scrap out at 50$-$100. I have yet to sale them, wife gets first choice on my finds, what she doesn't take goes on a necklace I have. I do weigh them, then check their value on Midwest refineries, then they go on my necklace.

I do hunt parks and play grounds, and have found silver and gold rings there, but much perfer the beaches. I average about 10 hours a week probably hunting both.

Good luck and good hunting. ;D

Don't have a beach handy so here is what I suggest. I will send you a plastic kitty litter type pan. You can drop a gold ring in it and then fill it with sand and mail it to me. I will then find the ring with my detector and sell it back to you for a penny, regular old zinc lincoln cent. That would be fun wouldn't it? ? ? ? Nah not really. :D ;D ;)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't you live near Scottsbluff, Neb, Chimney Rock Monument, and the Platte River? A lot of early history along that river, what with the early fur trapers, traders, wagon trains and Indian artifacts. Should be a lot of U.S. Calvery artifacts to be found.

A lot of famous battles between the indians and U.S. Calvery just West Nort West of you in Wy. Look up some of Terry C Johnstons western books for reference, he reprinted some great maps in them.

Good luck and good hunting.

Marty

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been placing all of my finds in one box for the past three years since I started. To be honest I have about $25 in clad, 1 Mercury Dime, 1 silver Roosevelt dime, 1 walking half, 20 wheat cents, 2 broken silver belly rings, and finally after all this time one excellent gold ring.

I bet I have spent more on gas then the amount of clad that is there. The collectible type coins are just regular varieties not any of the expensive ones.

But again it is the excitement of the hunt and one of the only hobbies that gives you a little bit back on your investment. There might be a few persons out there that make money, but they are individuals that have time on their hands to go out there and a few lucky individuals being there at the right time. I admit when I look at pictures of what some of our fellow members find I think it's not possible, but it really is. People are constantly dropping things and people with metal detectors are there to pick it up. I know my 7 year old is constantly losing the quarters that everyone is always giving him....

Good luck out there.

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Treasure_Hunter said:
Don't you live near Scottsbluff, Neb, Chimney Rock Monument, and the Platte River? A lot of early history along that river, what with the early fur trapers, traders, wagon trains and Indian artifacts. Should be a lot of U.S. Calvery artifacts to be found.

A lot of famous battles between the indians and U.S. Calvery just West Nort West of you in Wy. Look up some of Terry C Johnstons western books for reference, he reprinted some great maps in them.

Good luck and good hunting.

Marty

I live in swampeast Missery. Last time I looked that was a little ways from Nebraska but I didn't do well on geography.

Seriously though, if you were asking me if I lived in that location I am in Missouri in Beatuiful Cape Girardeau. Home of not much unless you count some radio host, I think, and the cut parts from a movie called Killshot.

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
To hunt that many hours a day , every day, you would have to be Superman. I bought my Whites Eagle Spectrum off of clad I found with my Compass X-100. That was about 5 months ago if I remember right. With the whites I have more than paid for the machine with clad and jewelry. In fact, I cashed in some of the clad and bought a Sun Ray pin pointer for my machine. I still have more than I originally paid for both, counting the clad and jewelry. I go out every day for at least 4 hours unless it is raining. More than that and I can really start to feel it in my back and shoulders. I am now concidering cashing in again and getting a beach / surf machine. It doesn't take many gold rings to pay for something like that. So yes, I can see it paying for itself as far as equiptment goes. Gas and time envolved is a whole different story.

bedpanmoneyman

Jun 17, 2007
Lebanon, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
I purchased a DFX earlier this year, when I was about to retire and wanted to start a new hobby. I go out about 3-4 times a week lately, about 2 hours each time. Mostly parks and ballfields around the area. I usually can count on finding about $1.50 in clad each time out, even though most of these areas have been hunted before. I've found over $20 during July, and I still learning how to use the machine. So to answer your question, if you don't count the cost of the gas to get there, you could probably get a payback in a few years from just clad...unless you get lucky with finding gold or silver jewelry. I did help a neighbor find her $1,000 platinum w/ a diamond wedding band she lost while working her flower beds. She offerred me $100 reward but I didn't take it. Her look of appreciation was reward enough for me. :) :)

BPMM

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont see how someone could find new places in their area all the time..It seems you would have to do alot of driving...Im not in a real "rich" hunting area here...Now it could be I just dont have the imagination to find good spots...I do envy you guys that talk about searching historical area in the North....

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
You have to learn to observe people. Sometimes it's in parks, and sometimes it's in drainage ditches. But where people play, meet, or gather, they will loose things. Even islands in shopping center parking lots produce quite a bit. Use your imagination and you will be surprised at what you find. Hang in there and you will see.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread