Find identification needed!

HI-McDunnogh

Sep 7, 2018
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I dug this massive cast iron something-another about 8-10" deep near a 19th Century home site that I routinely find 1840's-early 1900s iron. This looks more modern, but it was down deep and under roots, so I don't know.

Looks like it might be a die/cast of some sort or something machined? My size 12 is in there for reference.

Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• 20180913_125037.jpg
    20180913_125037.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 128
  • 20180913_125003.jpg
    20180913_125003.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 79
  • 20180913_124935.jpg
    20180913_124935.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 97
OP
OP
HI-McDunnogh

HI-McDunnogh

Sep 7, 2018
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 1c.jpg
    1c.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 1d.jpg
    1d.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find!!! Now get back to the woods and find the rest!!:laughing7:

And believe it or not...That could be bead blasted and will clean up, and may be usable. Even if it needed repaired....I have no clue what values are on this stuff....But we have ways of repairing things easily now, that they didn't have even 40 to 50 years ago or further back... a cool find!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
HI-McDunnogh

HI-McDunnogh

Sep 7, 2018
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks, Nitric.

Now that I know what it is I plan on getting it all cleaned up and de-rusted. I have no idea if there's a market for these types of things (or if I will even try to sell it). I am most excited that my spot that has been giving me smaller late 19th C./ early 20 C. produced in the same age again, after it was thought this was a 1950s piece.

Upvote 0

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate to be a spoilsport but the key is in the design and location of the thermostat opening. Early tractors and also model Ts did not have thermostats or water pumps or pressurized cooling systems. The coolant circulated via thermo syphoning which is another term for hot water rises in a column of water. Just like in air. Many tractor and industrial engines employed this up to and including the early fifties because their engines were long stroke and ran at low RPMs.
Look at the position of the coolant port on the head and then look at the MT head. MT comes out the top. Yours comes out the front. Your head suggests a thermostat located in the head, as well as a water pump and pressurized cooling system.. If it had a stat, it was a pressurized cooling system and either after WW2 or sometime in the fifties if agricultural.
I'd suggest a four or eight cylinder car of the early thirty's and not a Ford as I originally thought. I've researched the ford tractor engines from 1918 on up through 1957 and none of them had a t-stat port like yours. Ford 85 HP V8 didn't either.

Upvote 0

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate to be a spoilsport but the key is in the design and location of the thermostat opening. Early tractors and also model Ts did not have thermostats or water pumps or pressurized cooling systems. The coolant circulated via thermo syphoning which is another term for hot water rises in a column of water. Just like in air. Many tractor and industrial engines employed this up to and including the early fifties because their engines were long stroke and ran at low RPMs.
Look at the position of the coolant port on the head and then look at the MT head. MT comes out the top. Yours comes out the front. Your head suggests a thermostat located in the head, as well as a water pump and pressurized cooling system.. If it had a stat, it was a pressurized cooling system and either after WW2 or sometime in the fifties if agricultural.
I'd suggest a four or eight cylinder car of the early thirty's and not a Ford as I originally thought. I've researched the ford tractor engines from 1918 on up through 1957 and none of them had a t-stat port like yours. Ford 85 HP V8 didn't either.

Now that you mention this....I have a tractor, sitting at my Grandmothers(she just gave it to me last summer) that I think is from the 30's it's a IH (farmall)or something like that 4cyl. I don't believe it has a water pump. I couldn't figure out what was circulating the water since it has a radiator and a fan. Someone had to explain it to me like you did above. Anyhow, my post isn't even related to the topic...But I see what your saying.

Also, after considering what your saying....You can see the extra hole in the head, that the photo's above don't match and may be because of water pumped motor?...Just a wild guess, going by what your saying(which I have no doubt that you know what your talking about:laughing7:). Extra hole in the head, in the center between, on the bridge between the 2 and 3 cylinder, compared to the MT head...

How about a Waukesha? The head design looks similar...I'm still digging to find a picture of the cyl. side.

like this...http://www.tractorshed.com/contents/adpic174117.htm

There is also a picture of the head in question in this thread(looks the same as far as the water port and design)...But gives no info that I could find...

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/241736.html?1319301524

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Bing images you can find photos of pretty much every engine ever made. Browse and discover. Good luck!

Upvote 0

Plug N Play

Bronze Member
Aug 23, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
De Havilland Canada DHC-7-102 Dash 7 - Fugro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After a lull in the storm I got this thing cleaned up a bit. The only discernible marking looks to be an 'L' on the very right side of it, next to the cylindrical hole on the side.

Ford Head.jpg

If it looks like that, one site I looked at said 1918 - 1927

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Plug N Play

Bronze Member
Aug 23, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
De Havilland Canada DHC-7-102 Dash 7 - Fugro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They only had the head, so there wasn't much information to go with it, HI-McDunnogh.
It does appear to be very similar to yours.

Head.jpg

HeadMade.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread