Finds from Elmore, Coosa & Tallapoosa Co. Alabama

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found several years ago. 1 is a chert unifacial scraper w/cortex present. It is broken on one end I believe. 2 is also chert but not sure whether it's a broken scraper or what. 3 is a quartz backed knife (?) or scraper. I once thought it was a point that was broken in half. 4 is a complete little bi-faced tool of some sort made of what I think is agate. It is translucent and has a unique hue. I posted these for everyone but with Mr. Bill in mind (uniface). Commentary welcomed.

Gonna take more than one post to get all the pics in (14). This is the first six.

DSCN0001.JPG DSCN0002.JPG DSCN0003.JPG
DSCN0010.JPG DSCN0011.JPG DSCN0012.JPG

Upvote 0

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
First one, with the cortex, is a backed scraper,IMO.

The other colored one looks like Havana chert -- from Tennessee, I think. Knapped for a cutting edge, but was probably a river cobble, & too small to do much of anything further with.

White agate (?) looks like you were right about it being a point that split from impact.

Quartz one I can't tell much about from the pictures, other than that it was produced in the process of turning a much larger piece into smaller pieces.

Neat stuff, Dog !

OP
OP
Tdog

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for replying Mr. Bill. The very first picture at 3:00 in post #1 is quartz (3) and is light gray--almost crystal. The piece I refer to as agate (?) is at 6:00, is small and is frosty and clear but not crystal clear--translucent.

Last edited:

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Got those mixed up, then. Sorry ! There were dots below your artifacts on the picture that may have been numbers when you posted it, but on my screen they were just little dots.

OP
OP
Tdog

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Got those mixed up, then. Sorry ! There were dots below your artifacts on the picture that may have been numbers, but on my screen they were just little dots.

Yes, I numbered them in pic1. I'll have to do a better job next time.

antmike915

Silver Member
Apr 20, 2020
SW Georgia
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice Tdog, love that chert. I have some that I found in N. Alabama when I was a kid; I miss looking up there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread