first box of nickels - results are in

FiresEye

Aug 17, 2010
I'm so exciteds, sitting in front of me is a blue box of bankrolled nickles, from N.F. String and son marked in the 500.

SO, after lots of pennies by hand nickles are a welcome change.. Does nayone find silver war nickles or buffalo nickels anymore? Strangely I found a indian head buffalo nickle in pocket change the other day, so I was inspired to get the nickles..

The going is slow, much slower than pennies, the dates are harder to see, etc.. Need tips on nickles, and reports of finds for inspiration! Will let you know the results as I go.. 3 rolls in, nothing... except $6.00 :)

Upvote 0
Re: first box of nickels - need advice- update stats to come

Nickels are not for the faint of heart....patience and determination are key. It's certainly a change of pace from dime and quarter searching because you lose the benefit of edge searching. But the challenging aspect of it can be very enjoyable.

I did my first $100 box because I had to have a war nickel (and I found one). I've only done three boxes since January but each one had a war nickel.

hh,
cuttybce

Re: first box of nickels - need advice- update stats to come

THe results are in.

$100 searched, no war or buffs.

Dates as follows as the oldest coins found.

1940x2
1949x2
1953x3
1955x3
1959x1

Overall, it was a good way to use $100.. I can't complain, took me three hours or so, with lots of breaks, and I have a nice bit of old change.

I also found a 1988 copper coated( or some other copper alloy coated ) nickle. By the drop test, it even sounds like it weighs less than a normal nickle... I really need to get a cheap $20 scale for testing...

Very fun time...

Next is my penny searchings.. I like copper, it's dirty, it's cheap, and it's electrically conductive :)

You found some from the 40s, it's just a matter of time before a war nickel shows up. Nickels do take some patience,i've done hundreds of boxes and average a war nickel a box and a buffalo about every 2 boxes. Only found 2 V-nickels in that time and my dad also found 1 in a box he opened while he was visiting. You just never know.

Thanks for the encouragement, Mountain Man 2...

Since " we just never know" might as well take a guess and get to it!

I just started on some pennies.. I always find wheats with pennies... Just takes time to do money. :)

Howdy,

Nickels are my favorite. I average 1 war nickel/box and 1 buff for every 1.5 boxes or so. I've found a couple of clipped planchets, a couple of cud errors, a 1905 V and lots of foreign coins as well. I keep an eye out for MM over MM, errors, proofs, etc.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Nickles are fun!
I find on average
about 55-70 pre-1960 jeffersons per bag
2-3 war nicks per bag
a dateless buffalo every other bag
and a buffalo with a date every 8-10 bags or so
I go through about 3 200 dollar bags per week on average. (or ~12000 coins).

since it takes me about 2 hours to go through my boxes of halves each week I am glad to have nickles to fill out the other 166 hours!
the machine at the bank where I get my bags, sadly, rejects silver so I don't search dimes or quarters there anymore.

Nickel Hints.

I check every date. I keep about $20 in my car and an old coffee can. I search when I get to work early, picking up my kids at school, even at long red lights, they all get tossed into the can. When the can gets full I start over. I have found a lot of war nickles, one war nickel was in mint condition, they are usually dull and worn. Just keep slugging away at it. I have found two or three full rolls of pre 1960's. If I would have known how rare those were I would have drove back and bought all there were at the bank.

Keep on searching

Gordon,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back