first detector

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Cibola will get you into the depth range of a lot of older coins. The 350 will be easier to use in trashy areas. If I had both I would probably use them pretty evenly, but if I could only have one it would be the Cibola.

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the addiction. Whatever you choose, you are guaranteed to have fun! Tesoros are good machines, but I am a Garrett fanatic! You can't beat the Ace series and the 350 is an awesome machine. Easy to learn, great depth and greater iron discrimination ability. Comes with volume adjustable light weight headphones, environmental cover, etc.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the Cibola, but have never used the 350, so I can't give you an honest comparison. From what I've seen, they have some similarities. I would go more for the Cibola because there's no screen to lie to you ;D and it comes with a lifetime warranty which the Garrett does not.

But for primarily park hunting I am going to suggest neither of those.

I will instead suggest the Tesoro Compadre. Yes, the $150 detector.

It runs at a high frequency (12 kHz) which will make it more sensitive to gold, and is better than the frequency on the 350 and almost as good as the Cibola.

The smaller 5" coil will be a blessing in a trashy areas, and almost every park is trashy.

It will give you about 6" of depth on most targets, which is where 90% of your finds will be anyway, no matter what detector you use.

It is also very lightweight and you can use it all day without getting tired. And again, there's the Tesoro lifetime warranty.

Good luck with your final choice.

OP
OP
B

blair

Oct 22, 2010
sauk city,WI
between the compadre and the cibola which would be better for a first detector? I've read good things about both. looking to get the most fun for my money.

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
blair said:
I'm looking to buy my first metal detector and have narrowed down to Garrett ace 350 and tesoro cibola.
will be hunting primarily in parks for coins and things. any input or thoughts would be appreciated.

Minelab Sovereign GT

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
blair said:
between the compadre and the cibola which would be better for a first detector? I've read good things about both. looking to get the most fun for my money.

The Cibola will give you better depth but has a larger coil. That small coil on the Compadre is a real blessing in parks and other trashy areas.

Honestly, if I were just starting out again, I'd buy the Compadre first.

I take it and the Cibola on every land hunt I do and so far the only time I've reached for the Cibola was at a competition hunt.

I just had the Compadre out yesterday and it kept me plenty busy. I'm posting my finds if I can ever get the photos downloaded.

If you ever want to upgrade later, the Compadre makes a great loaner or backup detector. But with more than 80% of all your finds being at 6" or less, you may never need/want to upgrade from the Compadre.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would choose the Cibola myself. You have the option of using different size coils, with the Compadre you can't. The Ace 350 is pretty new, so I don't really know how it stacks up, but unless it is light years ahead of the 250 I'd pick the Cibola.

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
blair said:
well i just placed my order for the compadre. thanks everyone for the input.

Please let us know what you think of it!

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here's a thought get the cibola higher freq than 14khz the compadre and get the smaller 5'75" coil and deeper still than the compadre plus would be more sens on gold jewelry!

ok2raise

Dec 30, 2008
here
Detector(s) used
DEALER OF Garrett, & Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
get both use one for a back up both are good machines :headbang:

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
blair said:
I'm looking to buy my first metal detector and have narrowed down to Garrett ace 350 and tesoro cibola.
will be hunting primarily in parks for coins and things. any input or thoughts would be appreciated.

What ever you get ... buy used!

You can sell or trade it later and not lose so much money.
Since you are just starting you dont really know what you will want by this summer.

wallkinboss01

Nov 15, 2010
I'm also looking to P/U my first detector. I live in Ga and would be doing most of my hunting around old homes. What should I be looking for, brands, features, and accessories? I looking to stay under or around $400 and wouldn't mind a used detector. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wallkinboss01 said:
I'm also looking to P/U my first detector. I live in Ga and would be doing most of my hunting around old homes. What should I be looking for, brands, features, and accessories? I looking to stay under or around $400 and wouldn't mind a used detector. Thanks in advance for the advice.

When spending most of your time searching old homes, depth becomes a real issue. 30%-50% of your targets might be deeper than 6". With that in mind, you're probably going to need to look at a detector in the $600-$1000 price range if you want to make sure you don't miss anything. But I'm not sure I want to encourage anyone just getting into this hobby to spend that much on a detector only to find out the hobby isn't for them.

Also, soil conditions can really dictate your choice of detector. I would recommend finding the metal detector club that is closest to you and talk to the folks there about what they are using. That is always a good indicator of what works best in your area.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
wallkinboss01 said:

Minlelab Xterra 305

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread