What's new

First Shelter Dig...Any Advice?

Hutch in PA

Full Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2010
Messages
195
Reaction score
3
Golden Thread
0
Location
Western PA
Well guys, I'm finally taking the plunge and expanding from 'field walking' to digging. I spent Sunday walking the hillside of a local river, and located what I think is a good location. After some research and door knocking, I located the owner and gained permission. But it has some challenges (more on that in a minute).

The spot is about one mile up river from one of my most productive farms, and about five miles below a well-documented woodland site. Based on its location, the size of the shelters, and their southern exposure, I am certain they had to be occupied over the years.

There are three rock ledges within 100 yards of each other, and each is located about 100 yards from the river. I decided to start with the 'most obvious' of the shelters (the biggest and deepest). It is about ten feet tall at the entrance and five feet tall at the back wall. The length is about twenty feet. The other two are about half that size.

I rigged my sifter to a tree at the top of the shelter and started raking out the leaves. It became immediately obvious that this has been a party spot for campers via canoe. I cleaned out hundreds of broken beer bottles (pigs). The style of the bottles shows that people have been in there for many years.

Once that was done, I started to dig. I focused on an area just inside the drip line. My first sift produced one piece of flint. Four hours later, I was 3.5' down...found no more flint...and was STILL pulling up recent garbage (including a 1967 penny). Ugh.

I have to assume that I'm digging through the refuse of the last person to sift the site....would you agree? Inside the shelter, there is a pit about four feet wide and a foot deep...I was 'hoping' that pit was just a place modern campers/partiers built their fires. Now I am starting to question whether investing the time to continue will only result in digging through what has already been dug.

On the bright side, I started in the MOST OBVIOUS place. Anybody who was going to dig the site would dig right where I dug. And, I could see no evidence of digging at the other shelters.

I've read a lot of comments on here about how productive the spots outside the shelter can be...but here, there is a deep drop/bank right outside.

Any thoughts or comments are welcome. Am I wasting my time? What would you do?
 

Attachments

  • Two Shelters Resized.webp
    Two Shelters Resized.webp
    381.7 KB · Views: 1,112
  • Third Shelter Resized.webp
    Third Shelter Resized.webp
    308 KB · Views: 1,145
  • 1st Shelter Underneath Resized.webp
    1st Shelter Underneath Resized.webp
    137.3 KB · Views: 1,195
  • Sifter Set Up Resized.webp
    Sifter Set Up Resized.webp
    301.9 KB · Views: 1,305
  • 2nd Shelter Underneath Resized.webp
    2nd Shelter Underneath Resized.webp
    191.4 KB · Views: 1,333
Upvote 0
Sohio!! your posts read like you are paying attensun to some one talking inatead of reading the state laws. SOME of the archies and other people too, distort the truth to suit what they think should be not what is. Doug!! i agree with you
 
Ok listen close i think your missing my point I never said I was positive on any laws. About a year ago I read that any shelter in ohio was protected private land or not. I cannot find the site I read that on and on that site it also mentioned ky but in what way I don't remember. the links i posted yesterday I barely skimmed them i didn't read them I didn't have time to search deeper into this topic. I still don't have time to Heck I don't even have time to post this post but since you fellers wanna sohio bash so badly I couldn't help but to post on this yet again ::) I posted those links because they showed that there are people that feel shelters should be protected at least thats what I thought they contained. Anyway I was being friendly by just saying be careful. I also invited anyone to look up or call about this info as I don't have time nor do i really need to worry about it I don't dig shelters, I guess you don't have time either. You keep acting like you know the laws yourself firsthand but you dont at least I dont think you do. If you want to argue about this and take tones then you should find the correct info i dont have it nor did i ever claim to for sure. This is absurd. :blob7:
 
I do have to correct info for my state MO, you know one of the states u posted a link to. As far as being argumentative, you posted false info and then say WE should feel ashamed or have a guilty concious. As for not having the time to find accurate info. I found it in less than the time it took to type this sentence! And used my phone to find it. Have a great day!
 
Something like that.

Wow youdid that with a phone ? :icon_scratch:
 
Yep got one of them ther smarter than most people phones! Lol. Hutch, hows the digging going?
 
SOHIO said:
Ok listen close i think your missing my point I never said I was positive on any laws. About a year ago I read that any shelter in ohio was protected private land or not. I cannot find the site I read that on and on that site it also mentioned ky but in what way I don't remember. the links i posted yesterday I barely skimmed them i didn't read them I didn't have time to search deeper into this topic. I still don't have time to Heck I don't even have time to post this post but since you fellers wanna sohio bash so badly I couldn't help but to post on this yet again ::) I posted those links because they showed that there are people that feel shelters should be protected at least thats what I thought they contained. Anyway I was being friendly by just saying be careful. I also invited anyone to look up or call about this info as I don't have time nor do i really need to worry about it I don't dig shelters, I guess you don't have time either. You keep acting like you know the laws yourself firsthand but you dont at least I dont think you do. If you want to argue about this and take tones then you should find the correct info i dont have it nor did i ever claim to for sure. This is absurd. :blob7:
:BangHead:
 

Attachments

  • untitled.webp
    untitled.webp
    24.4 KB · Views: 690
Being in PA. Perhaps its connected to the Civil War?
 
Mines in Mo maybe its jessie james related? Its possible!
 
Well boys, I've been so busy reading the back-and-forth about the legality of shelter sifting that I haven't had time to dig! LOL. Just kidding. I've been spending too much time traveling for work since posting this...haven't had a chance to make it back to the site. Weather has turned back to winter as well.

Anyhow, my intent wasn't to start a debate. Here's what I know: I spent a few enjoyable hours walking a river bank, located a likely spot for digging, then investigated until I found the owner. The wife/husband were really intrigued that ancient man may have lived on their property...and were even more surprised that anyone would take the time and effort to uncover their existence. With that, they said: Have a blast and good luck!

1. Legal? Don't know.

2. Worried? Not in the least. Serious question. Who in the hell is going to come after me? The police? I live in the country. As long as I'm not cooking meth, I don't think they'll bother me. Game wardens? Nah. As long as I don't kill a protected salamander, I'm good there. Department of Environmental Resources? Not unless my shovel opens a new source of gas (and they smell $$$).

3. Clean Conscious? Unless I find bones--and what are the odds of that?--I'll sleep just fine. Case in point about the pros: Last year, I took my family to the Carnegie Museum in Pittsburgh. I hadn't been there in years and could not wait to see their artifacts. Guess how many were on display? Virtually none! Maybe 50? And yet, there are hundreds of 'registered shelters' in Western PA. Where is everything the pros brought out?

Ok. I'm done now. I'll update if/when I ever find anything again!!!
 
1320, I almost fell out of my shelter lmao when I went back and saw the links you posted about SOHIO digs. GEEEZ how do ya spell hypocrite? and doing it in ohio where he says it may be against the law or at least frowned upon by some people. Anyway good lookin out there 1320.
 
I can't believe someone would bash digging shelters when they seem to have done it themselves... :icon_scratch:
I hope you have time to get back to your shelter and find many things. Everyone enjoys a good shelter dig. It is way better than a privy or cellar hole dig.
 
buzzgator said:
1320, I almost fell out of my shelter lmao when I went back and saw the links you posted about SOHIO digs. GEEEZ how do ya spell hypocrite? and doing it in ohio where he says it may be against the law or at least frowned upon by some people. Anyway good lookin out there 1320.

He might have got caught? He did elude to having a change of heart..."something like that" :dontknow: :icon_scratch: I like to give him the benefit of doubt but without knowing his story, I can't do it.
 
I live in Ohio, and have been to the cave on my property digging a few times. And I keep it top secret. Nobody knows.
 
I tend to agree with TnMtns, everyone enjoys a good shelter dig. And I'd bet he and 1320 are responsible diggers, as are most of the other collectors who dig.

Not that anyone asked, but my personal view is that too many people get into digging before they know what they are doing... I dig a lot. I've dug since I was about 6 years old. I started digging with my father when there wasn't much you couldn't dig as far as sites go, but we always followed the laws and when they changed, we changed (or we drove to a state where you could still dig certain types of sites.) I was taught how to dig and how to excavate.

It saddens me to see people who go full bore with a shovel (or a big pick) and break most of what they find before they find it. They show up at shows with a box of freshly broken killers or post pictures online and say "I dug this, what's it worth?"

We were digging pottery in the early 80's in Arkansas, before then Gov. Clinton changed the law, and I saw a guy dig through a couple of burials. We pieced together 9 great pots from his throw dirt after he left, all with fresh breaks. I think he took 3 pots with him. In hind sight, maybe we shouldn't have been digging that site (even though it was legal and was later destroyed by a housing complex) but it was criminal how much history that guy destroyed... A couple of years ago I had an internet friend check out a shelter in Kentucky that I was digging. He exposed a tip outside the cave locked in some hard sediment, and managed to break it by trying to wiggle it out before it was even uncovered. We had a 20 minute impromptu class on how to take your time and not break stuff. One of my favorite old diggers in Kentucky used to crack open a beer and relax when he'd get to something good. It allowed him to calm down and not go too fast.
 
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM,,,,,BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!
LOL,,Just thought of Homer,,and ME!!
Heres my advice,,,go dig,,,post pics.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom