What's new

First SILVER after hunting off and on for about 15 years!!!!

Joined
Apr 15, 2015
Messages
25
Reaction score
22
Golden Thread
0
Location
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having a chance to escape the seemingly unending North Texas rain storms, I was able to get out and metal detect these past 2 days! YAY!!

Using my Whites IDX Pro, I visited a large neighborhood pond/park that I quickly realized had never been metal detected before. In about 3 hours of muddy hunting there, I found $5.10 in clad, 2 good usable lead fishing sinkers, and a myriad of pull tab trash etc.

Then yesterday i revisited the sand volleyball pits at my church I hunted over Spring Break. It was here that I found my 2 "firsts".

I started out running the side closest to the parking lot where everyone puts their shoes etc. I distinctly remember a strange quarter signal that I dug last time (a soft beep/ping instead of a solid beep) that I dug last time and after a deep dig I gave up assuming it was a deep trash target. his time, I decided to dig the hole again as I was curious and tipped by a friend who found a silver quarter that deeper silver items sometimes don't give a normal solid beep signal. I guess I was just slightly off on my hole the previous time as this time I was rewarded with my first silver. It turned up to be an immaculate James Avery sterling silver ring about 4 inches down. I couldn't believe my luck.

Then as I hunted on, I dug m last signal of the day (rang up like another quarter) and realized it was a bicentennial quarter. As we all have, I've found plenty of them in pocket change, but I have never found one metal detecting before.

My combined clad from the two locations comes out to $9.63.
The Lover's Knot Ring is listed on the James Avery website at $60, but by weight (0.20 ounces) comes out to be $3.35!!!

I have a bunch of silver coins I bought many years ago when the price of silver was down in hopes that one day when I am older, I can pass them on to my family or sell them for a tidy profit.

With the silver jewelry and coins that you guys find, what do yall do with them? Save them and sell them to a Gold and Silver store at the end of each year, sell them as used on eBay, etc. or just save them as a neat find?

I have no clue what to do with mine.

Coins edited.webpRing dirty edited.webpRing clean edited.webp
 
Upvote 24
Nice ring and congrats on your first silver.
 
Thanks!! I definitely have metal detecting fever now haha
 
Your ground should be real soft for awhile now.. good luck and congrats.
 
congrats on the finds, and the rain.

I toss all my finds in a box, It's hard to sell my treasure.

Some day I might pull a Forrest Fenn, and bury them again for some one else to find.
 
Nice finds! Glad you had the determination to keep trying. Perseverance always pays...congrats.
Jim
 
Congratulations on that long-awaited silver, it is a beaut! Wherever folks set up impromptu volleyball nets, badminton nets, soccer games, frisbee toss, etc...that is where the rings will be, so happy hunting. Sub8-)
 
Nice ring, congrats on the silver. Rings can give off strange signals, usually broken because it isn't a solid piece of metal.
 
Great finds!!! I save all my "relics"... My dug clad is saved until the end of year, rolled, deposited into the bank, then flipped into solid silver..rounds, SAE's, maple leafs, pandas...whatever I can get my hands on.
 
Thanks everyone!! My guess is I'll just carry the ring with my on future hunts as a "good luck" charm for more silver in the future, as I'm sure I'll also do with my first silver coin.

That's actually not a bad idea now that I think of it, a "good luck" metal detecting charm necklace or somethin like that. Can't do a bracelet as it would interfere with checking plug pieces by hand over the coil.
 
Congrats on the silver! I also use the IDX pro..and I find that small silver rings often show up in the 10¢ to 1¢ column. Large silver comes in at the 25¢ column. Love this machine
 
Congrats on your first silver. I keep all of mine, & display them. My wife & 2 kids will have to figure out what to do with them some day !!
 
Congrats on your first silver after 15 years? Man I get down if I don't find 3 or 4 a month. All the coins are mine and I save them. All the jewelry gold and silver I save up then the wife gets another piece of new jewelry. Kind like I get ripped off on this deal, but she lets me go so I have to pay some how. All the clad I get I turn in at the end of the year, usually rock tumble it in gravel and then use a coinstar. That bank gets mad with it. Congrats again and may this be the start of a silver streak for you
 
Good find for sure ! I got one of those too in a park in Las Vegas - I'm not surprised that you found it in Texas since
James Avery is based out of Kerrville ,TX.
 
Congrats on your first silver . I tumble and roll all my clad then buy spot silver coins with it . Usually rosies or Washington's , and my silver gets put in the safe for my retirement fund lol . Not really sure yet what im going to do with my wheats ,IHs and other coppers
 
Nice silver save :occasion14: And I thought my area was bad, surely you will start finding more now ! :headbang:
 
Nice silver knot ring congrats!

I keep all my silver, gold and odd items as my little trophies. The clad I clean and use to get metal detecting stuff.
 
Congrats on the good day hunting. I like days like that. Plenty of targets on virgin territory:thumbsup:
 
Thanks!!

Have you had yours custom ground balanced? Do you have a second smaller search coil? I've been researching trying to find one and I've had no luck as of yet.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom