What's new

First time finding this coin. What is it??

BenVa68

Hero Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2018
Messages
504
Reaction score
1,735
Golden Thread
0
Location
Hopewell va.
Detector(s) used
Technetics T2+ Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dug this at a 1800s home permission today. It was covered in iron and rust was stuck all over it. The Equinox still sniffed it out though. I think its a half dime but im not sure. I can see 2 numbers in the date "88". Im sure a lot of you will know what it is right away. Im dying to find out because its my first whatever it is. Thanks for looking.
 

Attachments

  • 20181222_191455.webp
    20181222_191455.webp
    403.7 KB · Views: 122
  • 20181222_175428.webp
    20181222_175428.webp
    584.5 KB · Views: 155
  • 20181222_175356.webp
    20181222_175356.webp
    492.2 KB · Views: 135
  • 20181222_132117.webp
    20181222_132117.webp
    396.2 KB · Views: 129
That's a capped bust dime! Those things are HARD to find! It's probably an 1830's as capped bust dimes were made 1809-1837 and 1830's are most common. Big congrats!!!
 
Upvote 0
Very cool! You should post in Today’s Finds!
 
Upvote 0
Nice capped bust! If 15.5 mm in diameter, its a half-dime (1829-1837); a dime would be either 18.5 mm (1828-1837) or 18.8 mm (1809-1827). Very hard to find! Congrats.
 
Upvote 0
Does look like a capped Bust but IMO counterfeit
 
Upvote 0
Nice Bucket Lister!:occasion14::headbang::hello2:
 
Upvote 0
I do believe its a Cap bust. Thats what my buddy said too. I also found 2 Confederate infantry buttons knapsack rivets and a barber dime. I will post on todays finds. Thanks everyone.
 
Upvote 0
Does look like a capped Bust but IMO counterfeit

I’m not agreeing, but it seems pretty smoked, and silver would hold up better I would think....
Curios, and terrific find.... I’ll be watching, to see if it cleans up better
 
Upvote 0
On the other hand, depending on the soil, I suppose it could get wrecked after 150+ years in the dirt.....
Still pretty awesome. The 88 you see prolly 28, as in 1828
 
Upvote 0
I’m not agreeing, but it seems pretty smoked, and silver would hold up better I would think....
Curios, and terrific find.... I’ll be watching, to see if it cleans up better

It was laying in iron and it looked like it may have been burnt. The rust was encrusted on it. Ill post more pics once its cleaned up better.
 
Upvote 0
looks like an 1809 capped bust dime to me, no point counterfeiting such a coin.
 
Upvote 0
It’s an American silver dime. Congrats!

A real keeper, that’s style. Capped bust!
 
Upvote 0
That's a beauty of an old coin!!!!!
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom