First week magnet fishing *New Finds 11/15*

bowfin

Nov 9, 2008
Michigan
Went magnet fishing for the first time today. Only went for about 45 minutes. I used a 250 lb pull magnet. The finds were not that great, but there is always next time. I fished from shore at a fishing spot on a small river. I kept dragging in the weeds near the shore, which trapped small fish. I returned what fish I could to the water. I think I'm going to fish deeper waters around docks to avoid this problem. I hooked onto a few larger objects, but the drag across the bottom knocked them loose. Got splashed alot with muddy water. Wasn't such a smart idea to go to this spot between classes :)

Small spinnerbait with plastic grub(hook is rusty. The blade part that attaches to the jig might be salvageable)
Rusty piece of Pipe(only about 6 inches long)
Rusty nail clipper(can barely tell what it is)
Rusty pliers(rusted in open position)
Large rusty washer
Large rusty nut
Bottle cap
Rusty hook
Nails
non rusty unknown object(might be some sort of clip)
Rusty unknown objects

I plan on trying a fishing dock or two this weekend. Will let you know how it goes

Upvote 3

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
prolab69 said:
Ive been meaning to try that with a compters hard drive magnet, but i was thinking on going to some old foundations and trying it down one of the wells. theres about 5 places i know of that have some deep wells where houses once stood. so im wondering about giving it a try very soon.
Pro-
On modern wells it would not work, most of them have steel sidings pipes....

Poppa Relic

Jun 26, 2013
North Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is another thing I forgot to say about searching with a magnet here in Holland. They have so many canals, they are just all over the place, in anycase in the area of Holland where I live. Also even the farmers don't have any fences between property lines, no, they have a canal. That trend (not really a trend, they are necessary to drain the land - most under sea level - by pumping it into the sea), continued in the towns and small cities, also big cities like Amsterdam. So just think about that for a while..... imagine you just stole a strong box, but the police are on your trail, but just running into an ally and out the other you see a canal, so in goes it. But you escape , but the canal (in Amsterdam) is almost three meters deep, and with a current. So you just give up, its too darn hard. But someone comes along with a magnet and a long rope, just hunting, and bang, something heavy...

Well it can be a bike also, you can't imagine how many bikes are stolen here (18 million bikes, 16 million people), used and then dumped. Many times in the canals. Everything is dumped into the canals, it is against the law, but there are so many that even autos (used in robberies and such are dumped in them).

The canals are cleaned out every so often, and in the big cities the stuff they haul out goes into big trucks and trucked out to a depot, in which you cannot search because its just too deep and muddy, you just sink away. But in little towns there is usually grass on the sides of the canal, and the stuff they scrape off the canals are just deposited there on the grass of the canal banks to dry, then later cleaned up or spread out. I have found strongboxes in that gunk, but always empty.... darn it. I have also found much jewelry, once even a whole plastic sack of it that was stolen by someone. But it was all cheap stuff, well, not everything some nice watches, but it was too long under water.

So think about that also when searching with a magnet, things because of crime that are thrown away in water. Water hides things pretty good, better than just throwing something in back of a busy when you can't get away.

Hey woody. Im having trouble with my 250 lb magnet. It snags on buried logs and I had to use my car to pull it out. how is your magnet set up to prevent it snagging tree stumps and unmoveable objects? Does yours do this? Thanks! See picture below in next post.

Last edited:

Poppa Relic

Jun 26, 2013
North Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a picture of my magnet setup. It snags on the logs. Looking for a way to make it more snagless! I was thinking about making a cone for the top. Anybody done this?

Attachments

• 20130820_121420.jpg
    20130820_121420.jpg
    945 KB · Views: 201

Sawyer

Jan 25, 2013
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How long before TreasureNet starts a "Magnet Hunting Forum"? I for one think it would make interesting reading! Anyone want to buy some magnets?

no1maddie

Tenderfoot
Nov 25, 2013
Denmark
Detector(s) used
110 kg. magnet
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Guys, really nice thread you've got going here :)
I use some of my sparetime on magnet fishing, and I have made a blog / website about it, maybe you will find it interresting.
So check it out at magnetfishing.net
Finds include, knifes, moneyboxes and much more :)

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have two post hole digger handles with rare earth magnets on them. They will snag about 250 lbs is what they are rated for. I use them on creek crossings. Fun stuff be careful those magnets can slam into your truck!

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been thinking about this. There is a place about 50 miles from here where somebody dumped a lot of roofing nails. They cleaned out quite a few, but I might try to get the rest before I detect this area.
Woody50, they not only steal bikes in Holland, but pick pockets.

gilgar

Mar 18, 2009
A Little South of Heaven
Detector(s) used
Garrett Treasure Ace 300
Cool hobby & nice website, @no1maddie (I can't believe those guys found a bench!)

I'm curious, are these magnets so strong that if you hit something really heavy, like an old car, would you have to cut the magnet loose or are you able to get them free?

L

l2hunt

interesting hobby ya, keep us posted for sure, i might have to give it a try!

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years ago when I in middle school my best friend's dad gave his son and me a 50 foot rope and a big orange magnet with a 100 pull.We had more fun with this then any toy of the day.We went back into the woods were a old house use too be and dropped it in a well and started to pull out all kinds of "Treasures".Old rusty metal pipes,hammers,an ax head and we pulled up some wine bottles with metal tops.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may come up with Canadian coins, I do believe they stick to magnets. Something unusual may just come along. HH!

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm curious, are these magnets so strong that if you hit something really heavy, like an old car, would you have to cut the magnet loose or are you able to get them free?

Now this thread has me looking at magnets in ebay. I would also like to hear what others have to say on this question.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just wondering what your looking for ? :icon_scratch: Unless your on a old war site or something, I don't see what your going to find.... :dontknow:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a picture of my magnet setup. It snags on the logs. Looking for a way to make it more snagless! I was thinking about making a cone for the top.

should be simple enough to use a plastic funnel of the correct size. could probably find one at the dollar store

no1maddie

Tenderfoot
Nov 25, 2013
Denmark
Detector(s) used
110 kg. magnet
Primary Interest:
Other
The one I have with a 110 kg pull I once stuck to the bottom of a stairway made of iron, I wasn't able to pull it of, so I had to go right side of the stairway and kick in between the steps to get it of, and the paint where it were was completely ruined :/
So I think you would be able to get it off, but not without making noticeable marks on the car :p

I'm just wondering what your looking for ? :icon_scratch: Unless your on a old war site or something, I don't see what your going to find.... :dontknow:
I don't really have anything in particular that i'm looking for, but yeah, it would be really nice to catch some old war relics
Take a look at some of these videos, many of them catches old war relics !
Magnetfishing.net - videos

OP
OP
B

bowfin

Nov 9, 2008
Michigan
I'm surprised this topic lasted so long. Searched for it because I couldn't remember my username. I ended up losing my magnet when it snagged or got stuck to something really big underwater. I didn't get another one because I wasn't sure if I could get in any legal trouble doing this. It really makes a mess of water weeds, etc when trying in a river. Way worse than fishing. I even remember getting a baby fish in one of the HUGE clumps of weeds that I put back. Boat launches, beaches, and non weedy lake/river areas would seem fine(not sure how much the dnr would agree though). If you are also taking away the garbage you pull in I think it would be more beneficial to the environment in some places(non spawning areas and maybe places with less water weeds).

I was mostly doing it for the randomness of not knowing what you'll pull up. It does suck you are limited on the metal you can pull in but you do find some recent stuff that hasn't rusted yet(especially at boat launches and fishing docks). I'm mostly interested in rockhounding this year but maybe I'll get a new magnet and give it another shot while hunting water locations.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

What gets dropped fishing in the summer is interesting ,but ice fishing it seems any thing that can be dropped has.( yes I have made contributions) Considering the cost of a top notch fish spear,the magnet stays on the boat!
A former co worker had a 300.00 brand new ,unused l.o.l. fishing rod and reel bounce out of a boat at high speed. Another stood to pee in his boat and flipped it over with all his gear. Last year a fishing shelter near shore was blown out to open water and a guy lost his spearing outfit.
Should any one retrieve an outboard motor keep it immersed in water as long as possible or soon as its home sink it again. Air starts etching of internal components. A marine service place can advise from there, but beware service place you deal with to avoid dry land sharks.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions