First week magnet fishing *New Finds 11/15*

bowfin

Nov 9, 2008
Michigan
Went magnet fishing for the first time today. Only went for about 45 minutes. I used a 250 lb pull magnet. The finds were not that great, but there is always next time. I fished from shore at a fishing spot on a small river. I kept dragging in the weeds near the shore, which trapped small fish. I returned what fish I could to the water. I think I'm going to fish deeper waters around docks to avoid this problem. I hooked onto a few larger objects, but the drag across the bottom knocked them loose. Got splashed alot with muddy water. Wasn't such a smart idea to go to this spot between classes :)

Small spinnerbait with plastic grub(hook is rusty. The blade part that attaches to the jig might be salvageable)
Rusty piece of Pipe(only about 6 inches long)
Rusty nail clipper(can barely tell what it is)
Rusty pliers(rusted in open position)
Large rusty washer
Large rusty nut
Bottle cap
Rusty hook
Nails
non rusty unknown object(might be some sort of clip)
Rusty unknown objects

I plan on trying a fishing dock or two this weekend. Will let you know how it goes

Upvote 3

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Re: First week magnet fishing

That definitely sounds like an interesting way to spend a day! Hopefully you will find lots more stuff next time.

OP
OP
B

bowfin

Nov 9, 2008
Michigan

Hope so. All of the rusty stuff was a bit of a disapointment. I think part of the fun is never knowing what is going to come up though.

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bowfin,

What kinds of things are you expecting to find?

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's interesting, I've always wanted to try that. But after hunting in the water in
the summer and picking up all the junk that people throw out of boats, I decided against
it.

It surprises me, that people who pay lots of money for those expensive boat and pontoons,
don't have any money left to buy a trash can.

I tell people who swim in those boat swim area's to wear water shoes. People still throw bottles,
cans, and other trash out in the water. I guess the biggest thing I have ever found in the water
was a car battery.

HH, Ringfinder

P.S.
Good luck with your hunting!

OP
OP
B

bowfin

Nov 9, 2008
Michigan

Codes, mostly lures and tackle. Once saw a guy retrieve a pocket kniff he lost. Who knows what I might find. Doubt I'll find most of it before it rusts though. Anyone know how long it usually takes something to rust underwater? Haven't been in the mood for metal detecting lately, so I thought I would try something different. Too bad I don't live in Canada. Would probably be finding all sorts of coins.

Thanks Ringfinder. I know what you're saying. I don't walk on beaches barefoot much anymore, after finding nails,etc metal detecting.

OP
OP
B

bowfin

Nov 9, 2008
Michigan

Today's Magnet Fishing

Spot 1(another small river): Only threw magnet out for a short time. Caught nothing besides tiny pieces of metal.

Spot 2(Fishing dock): I spent a little over an hour at this spot. Found nothing but trash with the magnet. Did find a lure and a hook on shore though.

Spot 3(boat launch): Only fished 20 minutes, but it out produced all of my previous spots. Best find was a working L.E.D. flashlight. I spotted it in the water near the dock. Wasn't sure what it was at first, but was able to pull it in on the first try. Looks new, except for a few scratches. Had to wipe up a little of the water inside the flashlight, but works fine. There is still some condensation on the lens. Also found another pliers. This one has a little rust, but works. Found a fishing hook and a snap swivel. Also found a AA battery and some other junk.

The spinnerbait, in the lower right of the pic, was from my first day. I've noticed that one of the rusted pieces of metal, from the first day, has a weird manmade texture. It's kind of like a file or something similar.

Attachments

• magfind.jpg
    magfind.jpg
    305.8 KB · Views: 9,660

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The magnets are great, and strong. I just don't like to find so much trash though, so only done it once or twice. More times to find keys that my kid keeps dropping into a canal here. One thing that is good here is walking along the beach with three or four of them mounted on a board, the clad coins just stick to them, although its a pull that is for sure. Only the copper coins are left. Are the coins in the USA magnetic attracted? I don't see coins mentioned in your story.....

OP
OP
B

bowfin

Nov 9, 2008
Michigan
No, the only magnetic coin I can think of is maybe the 1943 steel wheatie. I regularly find Canadian quarters and dimes in my change. They should stick to a magnet, but I don't know how likely it is that I would find any in the water. I think there would be too little of them to be worth trying your method on a beach here. Sounds like a great idea though. Might not find coins, but could find other goodies. I've heard of people doing something similar for meteorites.

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bowfin said:
No, the only magnetic coin I can think of is maybe the 1943 steel wheatie. I regularly find Canadian quarters and dimes in my change. They should stick to a magnet, but I don't know how likely it is that I would find any in the water. I think there would be too little of them to be worth trying your method on a beach here. Sounds like a great idea though. Might not find coins, but could find other goodies. I've heard of people doing something similar for meteorites.
Well I have tried it here, had 4 different strong magnets and put them on a stick, with two riders on the side so they would not go too deep in the sand (too heavy to pull), it was a makeshift thing. What did we have back then for coins was clad, but with a steel? center, don't know, but they stuck to a magnet. Only the 1 and 5 cent didn't. Later they were replaced with the Euro Coins, they are also, except for the 1,2 and 5 cent coins magnetic. So anyway it worked, difficult because you are on the beach (1 hour away) and don't have the proper tools if something goes wrong. Also our tin soft drink cans are made of steel, not aluminum like in the USA. One of the steel companies developed a system to make them with a coating of I guess aluminum and it works find, they even LOOK like aluminum cans.

So pulling the device along in the sand did produce finds, mostly coins. Tin cans would stick but sometimes be pulled off because of their size. Only worked in dry sand of course. I had made the side pieces (riders) a bit adjustable so the stick would ride lower and lower depending upon the settings. But it was HEAVY work, sweated my butt off. Maybe with a better piece of equipment, (more sticks and deeper, and then pulled with a moped) it would work just great. BUT leave some for me....

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang Now I have to go buy a magnet ;D Pretty cool.

Hey I used to fish for Bowfin years ago. They were a really prehistoric fish.

Brian

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
Definatly sounds like it would be fun! I was reading about that in a magazine in Western and Eastern Treasures. I hope you do as well as the other guy did! Keep on trying! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
B

bowfin

Nov 9, 2008
Michigan
Maybe with a better piece of equipment, (more sticks and deeper, and then pulled with a moped) it would work just great.
I think meterote hunters sometimes ride around in the dessert and drag them behind their trucks. I remember seeing it on a treasure hunting program

baspinall said:
Dang Now I have to go buy a magnet ;D Pretty cool.

Hey I used to fish for Bowfin years ago. They were a really prehistoric fish.

Brian

It's a little messy, but is sure fun when you start finding things.

I've only hooked a few bowfin, but have always thought they were an interesting fish. There is actually a Bowfin Angeler's Group online, with forums. They have a sister club for Gar as well.

Detectingfreak said:
Definatly sounds like it would be fun! I was reading about that in a magazine in Western and Eastern Treasures. I hope you do as well as the other guy did! Keep on trying! :thumbsup:

Thanks Detectingfreak. It is great for days when the weather is not good for MDing. What kinds of things did he find?

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab E-Trac, Whites Surf PI Dual Field
I've done a little magnet fishing. The best thing I've locked onto was a nearly new pair of needle nose pliers. I consider this on par with a seated silver coin find via detector! :thumbsup: If you live near Canada, you can always get some of the coins by magnet fishing.

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is another thing I forgot to say about searching with a magnet here in Holland. They have so many canals, they are just all over the place, in anycase in the area of Holland where I live. Also even the farmers don't have any fences between property lines, no, they have a canal. That trend (not really a trend, they are necessary to drain the land - most under sea level - by pumping it into the sea), continued in the towns and small cities, also big cities like Amsterdam. So just think about that for a while..... imagine you just stole a strong box, but the police are on your trail, but just running into an ally and out the other you see a canal, so in goes it. But you escape , but the canal (in Amsterdam) is almost three meters deep, and with a current. So you just give up, its too darn hard. But someone comes along with a magnet and a long rope, just hunting, and bang, something heavy...

Well it can be a bike also, you can't imagine how many bikes are stolen here (18 million bikes, 16 million people), used and then dumped. Many times in the canals. Everything is dumped into the canals, it is against the law, but there are so many that even autos (used in robberies and such are dumped in them).

The canals are cleaned out every so often, and in the big cities the stuff they haul out goes into big trucks and trucked out to a depot, in which you cannot search because its just too deep and muddy, you just sink away. But in little towns there is usually grass on the sides of the canal, and the stuff they scrape off the canals are just deposited there on the grass of the canal banks to dry, then later cleaned up or spread out. I have found strongboxes in that gunk, but always empty.... darn it. I have also found much jewelry, once even a whole plastic sack of it that was stolen by someone. But it was all cheap stuff, well, not everything some nice watches, but it was too long under water.

So think about that also when searching with a magnet, things because of crime that are thrown away in water. Water hides things pretty good, better than just throwing something in back of a busy when you can't get away.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread