What's new

Fish pics ( everybody )

 
Getting old has caught up with me so I did the next best thing...teach someone young how to build a flyrod. My neighbor's son has become an excellent flyfishing guide and is based out of Jackson Hole, WY. He was home this past winter and I had some bamboo rod sections that needed to become a finished flyrod, so I taught him what to do and how to do it.
Here's some pics of the finished rod...

rod1.webp


rod2.webp


rod3.webp


rod4.webp


rod5.webp



It's a 6 1/2' 3 weight. I picked out a cool maple burl reelseat with mayflies etched into the rings and a similar design for the stripper guide with an agate insert. The reel is a new design and finishes the rod off nicely. He had to leave for Wyoming when the varnish was still drying and what he doesn't know is when he gets back here to Michigan, it will be his birthday present. I will tell him that he has to fish it in Wyoming and he must send me a pic of the first trout he lands on it!
 
Didnt want to get my clothes wet, it was winter time. :laughing7:
 

Attachments

  • AAAA.webp
    AAAA.webp
    55 KB · Views: 32
Getting old has caught up with me so I did the next best thing...teach someone young how to build a flyrod. My neighbor's son has become an excellent flyfishing guide and is based out of Jackson Hole, WY. He was home this past winter and I had some bamboo rod sections that needed to become a finished flyrod, so I taught him what to do and how to do it.
Here's some pics of the finished rod...

View attachment 2257658

View attachment 2257659

View attachment 2257660

View attachment 2257661

View attachment 2257662


It's a 6 1/2' 3 weight. I picked out a cool maple burl reelseat with mayflies etched into the rings and a similar design for the stripper guide with an agate insert. The reel is a new design and finishes the rod off nicely. He had to leave for Wyoming when the varnish was still drying and what he doesn't know is when he gets back here to Michigan, it will be his birthday present. I will tell him that he has to fish it in Wyoming and he must send me a pic of the first trout he lands on it!
That's great SD !! Passing along the knowledge is key to the sport...incredible work of art !! The burl seat and agate inlay are above and beyond !! 👏👏👏🫡
 


Mahi fishing can be a challenge...10 days of battling these beasts will beat you up good!! We crushed the big ones everyday for ten days. One gaff shot after another....hell yeah ...GET SOME !!
 

They don't play and they are incredibly powerful in and out of the water !!
 
Getting old has caught up with me so I did the next best thing...teach someone young how to build a flyrod. My neighbor's son has become an excellent flyfishing guide and is based out of Jackson Hole, WY. He was home this past winter and I had some bamboo rod sections that needed to become a finished flyrod, so I taught him what to do and how to do it.
Here's some pics of the finished rod...

View attachment 2257658

View attachment 2257659

View attachment 2257660

View attachment 2257661

View attachment 2257662


It's a 6 1/2' 3 weight. I picked out a cool maple burl reelseat with mayflies etched into the rings and a similar design for the stripper guide with an agate insert. The reel is a new design and finishes the rod off nicely. He had to leave for Wyoming when the varnish was still drying and what he doesn't know is when he gets back here to Michigan, it will be his birthday present. I will tell him that he has to fish it in Wyoming and he must send me a pic of the first trout he lands on it!
Jeez I've never seen that level of detail go into a fly rod! It's like a Purdey shotgun!
 


Mahi fishing can be a challenge...10 days of battling these beasts will beat you up good!! We crushed the big ones everyday for ten days. One gaff shot after another....hell yeah ...GET SOME !!

Quick on the feet you are.:laughing7:
 


You can tune a piano, but ya can't tuna fish !!😅🤣
 

They don't play and they are incredibly powerful in and out of the water !!

Bart, keep posting your incredible fishing videos, you put us right there with you. Tight lines!
 
We flyfish a section of river that is flys only, catch and release.
Here's a short video of hen that is getting ready to spawn. I don't bother them when they want to do their thing. Besides, the eggs hatch, the little guys swim out to Lake Michigan and come back up river three or four years later.


 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom