Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hardly nothing.

when do ya draw the line on how hot you detect?

it was like 95 deg. and I was miserable to the max detecting. melting.

I tried half azzed basically and got not much for my efforts. pocket spill, clad, beer cans, junk. I kinda gave up on this trip and I thought I would detect like a madwoman but other vacation stuff was easier in the heat to handle :)

got a ton of nice sinkers for hubby to fish. eh, at least he came away smiling mostly.

Visions of great finds on this trip and it sure didn't pan out that way :)

Upvote 0

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Florida its important to be hydrated. Especially if you are detecting dry sand. A hydration pack and a shady place help. Think beach tent or umbrella, oh and don't forget sun screen.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got to go early or late...mid day hunting is no fun in the heat...when I get hot, I go out in the water up to my neck just to get soaked and come back to the sand...that's one way to beat the heat. 90% of my hunting is done in the water, I never get too hot in the water.

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
morning is when I started but it heated up so quickly. and evening was just as hot as the day :)

woof...that heat is oppressive for sure.

being vacation any time in the water had to be basically spent with kiddo swimming...which was fun, but water detecting was on my mind alot.
yes, I couldn't drink enough water cause the sweating was intense LOL

now my mind is thinking FALL. kinda can't wait for that cooler weather to swing away for long times without that heat getting in the way.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MOST GUYS I KNOW DOWN THERE ARE ON THE BEACH JUST AS SUN IS RISING
AND PROBABLY QUIT BEFORE 10AM
WATERS WHERE ITS AT CAN STAY IN ALL DAY

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Part of staying cool is dressing cool.
Their is a headband , which looks like a head band, but actually works like a radiator to keep your head cool.
All you have to do is add water to get it to work and pour water on it when it stops working. ice water really works well.

I always wear a long sleeved rash gard with a hood, that you can get at surf shops.
It is light, protects you from the sun, and when you get to warm you can pour water on it and it also will work like a cooler.

Plus I use a baseball cap with flap to keep my face protected, a wrap around for you face can be purchased at NRS, which I
heard works even better. I would avoid any patterns that are common in the middle east.

that you can buy that expands when soaked in water and acts like a radiator to

It is really important to keep your face protected with sun block (I use SPF 55 ) and be sure to protect your lips with lip balm.

You should always wear sun glasses, to protect your eyes - if hunting in the water wear polaroids so you can look into the water and see what is there.

Another part is to remain balanced.
Hunting in the salt water will put the salt out of your system.
I add two pinches of rock salt and the juice from one lime/lemon to each bottle of water.
Or you can carry something like gatoraid in addition to bottled water.
This is in addition to two bottles of spring water which I carry or have access to.

You don't want to overdo the spring water (gulping it down to fast) as it can weaken you.
I know some lifeguards in Hawaii, who cut hot chili peppers in the water for this reason.

Unless you hunt in the water, which helps to cool you down, stay off the beach when the sun does it most damage.
In Hawaii thats around 10 am to 2 pm. Or if your hunting dry sand, take advantage of any place on the beach which has shade.

I usually detect in the evening, when the sunbathers start leaving the beach.
This way, if I overstay, I will not be burnt. to a crisp.

My favorite time, is to arrive at the beach at daybreak, unfortunately I am usually out of the game for a few days, as I don.t
have the discipline to get off the beach befpre 10 A.M. when I am doing well.

Try to avoid walking into the wind when detecting as the wind burn will also make :you feel miserable.

Lastly, you should slowly build up your endurance before going on vacation so that you will be able to take what the beach dishes out.
Even though it is beautiful, it is also a hostile and unforgiving environment.

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
The sand on the east coast isnt helping much with the hunt. It is super freakin hot this summer. Like Casper said I like to go during the twilight hours. I havent seen a cut in so long that Im thinkin they might be extinct. Maybe conditions will change as we head into the peak of cane season. Good luck on your next hunt.

sponge using smoke signals.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got to go early or late...mid day hunting is no fun in the heat...when I get hot, I go out in the water up to my neck just to get soaked and come back to the sand...that's one way to beat the heat. 90% of my hunting is done in the water, I never get too hot in the water.

Same here. I always wear a t-shirt and once it warms up I stay wet. The wet t-shirt goes a long way in remaining cool once you're back out of the water.

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the great info. you posted Sir Gala.

packed with good info on how to survive the heat on the beaches.

thing is summer is closing and detecting longer and longer throughout the day is coming.

hubby wants to surf fish around oct/nov. So that beach trip will be a treat for detecting. I can get some miles logged in and hopefully some great finds to make me smile :)

JustKeepDigging

May 2, 2013
Jupiter, FL
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
PRL-1 Whites, Tesoro Sand Shark, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keeping hydrated is important here in Florida, but sometimes the beach will help you do so. I recently found an unopened 12 pack of beer a foot under!!! :D

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did NOT!!!! that is wild. too bad ya didn't have a cooler with ice handy LOL. that is insane and not expected find for sure.

that wetsuit thing is cool but ain't happening for me. :) :)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Sure are. SPF 50+

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The beach never seems hot to me, because there is always a breeze blowing. I guess I am used to roasting in my boat at the Stickmarsh when there is no breeze. The most important thing is to stay hydrated. I wear an army surplus canteen when I go beach hunting.

A light colored cotton baseball cap is the best thing to keep you cool. All cotton, not the nylon mesh. You can dip it in the water and it will stay wet on your head. As the hat dries in the sun the water evaporates and keeps your head cool.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The beach never seems hot to me, because there is always a breeze blowing. I guess I am used to roasting in my boat at the Stickmarsh when there is no breeze. The most important thing is to stay hydrated. I wear an army surplus canteen when I go beach hunting. A light colored cotton baseball cap is the best thing to keep you cool. All cotton, not the nylon mesh. You can dip it in the water and it will stay wet on your head. As the hat dries in the sun the water evaporates and keeps your head cool.
Stick Marsh rocks dude. I always wear a white ball-cap even when using a mask and snorkel to keep the sun off the old noggin and the heat at bay. Works for me.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its hot down here??? humm hadnt noticed. What i do notice is tourist..... they heat up like a hot dog on a grill, and where do they head? The water.... hint hint.

Dew

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its hot down here??? humm hadnt noticed. What i do notice is tourist..... they heat up like a hot dog on a grill, and where do they head? The water.... hint hint.

Dew
Yup, that's about the only time we like "shrinkage" in the water! :laughing7: As others have mentioned, when I detect the beach, i'm there just before sunrise and home by 9-10am.

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
Just got home. Only clad and pulltabs and bottle caps. One mystery object. Not magnetic. Still fun hunt. Freakin sweating it out before 7. Time to go swimming.

sponge using smoke signals.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread