Florida thunderstorms.

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One bad one went just south of me the night before, the one last night just north. It must have rained really hard as the creek is chocolate brown with mud. No drought here. Corn now 6' tall and starting to tassel. It looks really good this year.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rocking and rolling for a week now....3 days of solid rain, and now Sahara dust. The dry Sahara dust is supposed to knock down the thunder heads ?? Well it didn't work....yesterday was dry and now we're back to the monsoon !! Lightning was strong for 2 of those 3 days !! One day ill learn my wife's fancy camera and make a time lapse Lightning video !! Some of the best displays in the world are out here across the everglades and Florida bay !! I've been struck 4 times by Lightning over my fishing career. I have been hit directly by 2 waterspouts and a glancing blow by a 3rd large one !! Weather be crazy down here on the water !!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rocking and rolling for a week now....3 days of solid rain, and now Sahara dust. The dry Sahara dust is supposed to knock down the thunder heads ?? Well it didn't work....yesterday was dry and now we're back to the monsoon !! Lightning was strong for 2 of those 3 days !! One day ill learn my wife's fancy camera and make a time lapse Lightning video !! Some of the best displays in the world are out here across the everglades and Florida bay !! I've been struck 4 times by Lightning over my fishing career. I have been hit directly by 2 waterspouts and a glancing blow by a 3rd large one !! Weather be crazy down here on the water !!

Wow, to be struck 4 times and survive, you must be leading a charmed life. I've fished in strong electrical activity but hit the throttle for home when the lightning got too close. A boat radio antenna is a magnet for a strike. Fishing at dusk when the stripers are busting the surface, with lightning closing in, I have had sparks crackling on the rod guides when casting and retrieving - really beautiful in the dark, tingling rods, and hair standing straight up. Its easier to head home when the fishing is not good. The chances we take!

Last edited:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The breaks between thunderstorms are just barely sufficient to get the lawn mowed. Last three times, the skies opened up within 20 minutes of putting the tractor away. Wish we could pipe our storm water to the West.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 indirect glancing blows, and 2 direct hits....one very bad !! Had 14 people on the boat partying at the islamorada sand bar. Saw the big storms coming, and made a run for shelter. Direct hit to the out rigger !! BOOM !! 12 out of 14 injured....driver killed and then given CPR and revived !! The thru holes were blown out of the bottom, and the engine ran away at full throttle. I managed to take over with the other only uninjured person....I ran the boat on the flat to keep it from sinking and got a towel into the air intake box which killed the engine. Help was there in seconds...thank god...I lost my hearing for 2 days, but other than that was unharmed !!

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
2 indirect glancing blows, and 2 direct hits....one very bad !! Had 14 people on the boat partying at the islamorada sand bar. Saw the big storms coming, and made a run for shelter. Direct hit to the out rigger !! BOOM !! 12 out of 14 injured....driver killed and then given CPR and revived !! The thru holes were blown out of the bottom, and the engine ran away at full throttle. I managed to take over with the other only uninjured person....I ran the boat on the flat to keep it from sinking and got a towel into the air intake box which killed the engine. Help was there in seconds...thank god...I lost my hearing for 2 days, but other than that was unharmed !!

You are a blest man brother bart.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lucky man Bart! I took an indirect hit one day carrying an extension ladder next to an antenna pole which took the main hit. It picked me up off the ground several feet with the ladder. Damn funny feeling....

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good story Black bart! I was fishing off Big Pine about 15 years ago chumming for Yellowtails. Rain all around with 6 water spouts counted that afternoon. It never got so close I felt in serious danger. Night fishing on the reef a couple years later for Mangroves was a different story. Big storm blew up in a matter of minutes and the ride in was hairy to put it mildly. I was running flat out trying to outrun the lightening strikes and they were spectacular. Made it to the dock, tied off and ran inside our bungalow right as all hell broke loose. Good times!

Last edited:
OP
OP
BC1969

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe that I shared my story on here long ago about my pet squirrel and the oak tree in my parents front yard.
That tree and me and unfortunately Charlie were all hit by a monster bolt of lightning.
I'll have to look for it.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We were under one of the storms today. From 5:30 to 6:15 we received 3.5 inches of rain! And it is still raining steadily at 9:30. Total so far for this evening is right at 4 inches. 70% chance tomorrow. To add to that the temp here yesterday was 98 with a humidity index of 108 It was only 96 today with an index of 104. temps on the rise for the rest of this week and rain chances 50% or more. I am cutting my yard every four days and I have 1.5 acres!

Last edited:

RichsEquinox

Jan 20, 2021
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the last 2 weeks here in Southwest FL. 5 people hit by lightning at the beaches. 2 hit where the storm was 6 miles away they were at a Sanibel beach and the storm was in downtown Fort Myers, 2 at a Beach in Naples area, and 1 at Marco Island Beach.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good story Black bart! I was fishing off Big Pine about 15 years ago chumming for Yellowtails. Rain all around with 6 water spouts counted that afternoon. It never got so close I felt in serious danger. Night fishing on the reef a couple years later for Mangroves was a different story. Big storm blew up in a matter of minutes and the ride in was hairy to put it mildly. I was running flat out trying to outrun the lightening strikes and they were spectacular. Made it to the dock, tied off and ran inside our bungalow right as all hell broke loose. Good times!

Yes...you understand !! The straights of florida, and Florida bay are no joke with the summer thunderstorms !! People say the odds of getting hit by lightning or bit by a shark are a billion to one....not if your a shark fisherman in the Florida keys who fishes in the summer monsoon season....your odds go way up !!

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm working on Patrick Spaceforce Base right now. They are serious about lightening safety. They broadcast loudly phase 1 or 2. Phase 2 is get inside & stay there until the all clear. Right between the Atlantic and Banana River. Yesterday was 2 hrs of a severe lightening storm.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread