Florida Treasure Coast Blog: Cobs

Aluminati

Jul 20, 2009
Regarding the copper ingot, go to Toms site, the link is above on the first post of this thread, I believe. On the left you will see the archives list. Go to 2008. Then look a few days down to Christmas Friday. You will see the ingot I found.

While the spanish stamped gold & silver ingots, they did not stamp the copper. Also, you will notice a crack on the left. When I first found it it was in whole condition just more encrusted. I broke it with my rock hammer to see what kind of metal it was....duh.....note to self ...never break the stuff you find thinking it is more junk as usual, especially when you are on a known treasure beach. :-\

bucketofguts

Jul 2, 2007
N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT and Garrett Seahunter mark 2. Treasure Mate pinpointerer
great find! please post a full size pic if time allows! or just send me a hi res :notworthy: :thumbsup: of the copper artifact to [email protected] thanks for your time. again nice beach find!

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Aluminati said:
Regarding the copper ingot, go to Toms site, the link is above on the first post of this thread, I believe. On the left you will see the archives list. Go to 2008. Then look a few days down to Christmas Friday. You will see the ingot I found.

While the spanish stamped gold & silver ingots, they did not stamp the copper. Also, you will notice a crack on the left. When I first found it it was in whole condition just more encrusted. I broke it with my rock hammer to see what kind of metal it was....duh.....note to self ...never break the stuff you find thinking it is more junk as usual, especially when you are on a known treasure beach. :-\
I did the same thing with an encrusted copper artifact and again with a silver one. I scraped off the coral, scraping into the metal. STUPID! :-[

IndianRiverSonrise

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Various
Aluminati said:
Hello all!

I just registered to the forum. While It has been on my treasure sites list for some time, this thread motivated me to post.

Tom does a wonderful job with his treasure coast blog. I think I was one of the first dozen to register on it and have sent him some input and find photos in the past. I would encourage you to let him know you appreciate what he is doing for our hobby.

The blogsite used to accept comments, when it was hosted elsewhere, but now that it doesnt and you can not post anything on it anyway, you need not register, his email is on the site for you to share thoughts. If you want him to pass along any info, let him know its ok with you when you send it. This way he can edit the site content and keep it as informational as it is. I have spent far more in travel, and time, not to mention equipment, etc, than I will ever likely recoup.

As far as optimistic goes, I have been metal detecting now for the past 3 years or so both on land and underwater. I have logged close to 100 trips now including SW Lousiana, North Georgia, Cape San Blas, Honeymoon Island, Clearwater, Middle Florida Keys, and the Atlantic beaches from Jupiter Inlet North to Anstaisia Island as well as some inland florida hunts... and you know what....I have not found one single cob, not one peice of jewelry other than some cheap watches etc.

The most interesting thing found was a copper ingot from one of the treasure coast beaches. Second place is the old brass door knob and lockset from the Cape San Blas lighthouse destroyed in the 1850s. The most valuable thing I found was a 1939 silver Washington. Bla Bla Bla....but you know what... its the hobby I found that gets me out to some of the nicest places to visit on planet earth.

I hope one day Ill have a "braggin rights" find to post on here, but in the meantime Ill just enjoy perusing y'alls posts and finds knowin that "Today's the Day" next time I go out.

Hey Man. I don't think too many people have found a copper ingot. I know I haven't.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
IndianRiverSonrise said:
Aluminati said:
Hello all!

I just registered to the forum. While It has been on my treasure sites list for some time, this thread motivated me to post.

Tom does a wonderful job with his treasure coast blog. I think I was one of the first dozen to register on it and have sent him some input and find photos in the past. I would encourage you to let him know you appreciate what he is doing for our hobby.

The blogsite used to accept comments, when it was hosted elsewhere, but now that it doesnt and you can not post anything on it anyway, you need not register, his email is on the site for you to share thoughts. If you want him to pass along any info, let him know its ok with you when you send it. This way he can edit the site content and keep it as informational as it is. I have spent far more in travel, and time, not to mention equipment, etc, than I will ever likely recoup.

As far as optimistic goes, I have been metal detecting now for the past 3 years or so both on land and underwater. I have logged close to 100 trips now including SW Lousiana, North Georgia, Cape San Blas, Honeymoon Island, Clearwater, Middle Florida Keys, and the Atlantic beaches from Jupiter Inlet North to Anstaisia Island as well as some inland florida hunts... and you know what....I have not found one single cob, not one peice of jewelry other than some cheap watches etc.

The most interesting thing found was a copper ingot from one of the treasure coast beaches. Second place is the old brass door knob and lockset from the Cape San Blas lighthouse destroyed in the 1850s. The most valuable thing I found was a 1939 silver Washington. Bla Bla Bla....but you know what... its the hobby I found that gets me out to some of the nicest places to visit on planet earth.

I hope one day Ill have a "braggin rights" find to post on here, but in the meantime Ill just enjoy perusing y'alls posts and finds knowin that "Today's the Day" next time I go out.

Hey Man. I don't think too many people have found a copper ingot. I know I haven't.
Yes a great find. Would love to see some better pics of it. My friend has one from the Atocha he received, as an initial invester, that he uses as a doorstop.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread