What's new

For Me, The Find of a Lifetime...

DJV

Jr. Member
Joined
May 15, 2016
Messages
92
Reaction score
341
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For all the years I've hunted beneath the waves, I've hoped to find an imbossed, hand-painted stoneware crock, intact. The best I'd done is the occasional shard or two, until now. This day, I'd used my scooter to travel far downriver, to look in areas I hadn't searched before; as sometimes happens, I was just about to turn the dive, when peripheral vision spied a change in bottom material appearance on my right. As I approached, I could immediately see that beautiful, deep blue colour that Potters use for their designs. The crock was 3/4's buried in the soft sediment, which gave me hope that it might be intact. The deeper I excavated, the faster my heart pounded, as my hands relayed to my brain a complete piece! After gentle cleaning & a thorough inspection, I found several cracks existed ( likely why it was float-tested ); it seemed pretty solid & I prayed it would hold together for the long journey back. Scooters are designed to be operated with two hands, but I had only one available; there commenced a herculean effort to return to my point of entry, in my unbalanced, directionally challenged & periodically weed-infested trail home...

...but I made it! Amazing how effective determination & sheer terror can be!
 

Attachments

  • W. Miller Crock.webp
    W. Miller Crock.webp
    2.4 MB · Views: 348
Awesome find!!

What state was this found?

Can you give us more info on the potter W. Miller?
Ontario, Canada. Miller was a Merchant; who exactly cast the piece is a matter of speculation, however, a Potter in the town of Picton named “Skinner”, experts believe, is the Potter.
 
Fantastic. Glad you got your wish. It sure looks like a nice one :)
 
How did you come to find it ? Did you just see it in the creek ?
 
For all the years I've hunted beneath the waves, I've hoped to find an imbossed, hand-painted stoneware crock, intact. The best I'd done is the occasional shard or two, until now. This day, I'd used my scooter to travel far downriver, to look in areas I hadn't searched before; as sometimes happens, I was just about to turn the dive, when peripheral vision spied a change in bottom material appearance on my right. As I approached, I could immediately see that beautiful, deep blue colour that Potters use for their designs. The crock was 3/4's buried in the soft sediment, which gave me hope that it might be intact. The deeper I excavated, the faster my heart pounded, as my hands relayed to my brain a complete piece! After gentle cleaning & a thorough inspection, I found several cracks existed ( likely why it was float-tested ); it seemed pretty solid & I prayed it would hold together for the long journey back. Scooters are designed to be operated with two hands, but I had only one available; there commenced a herculean effort to return to my point of entry, in my unbalanced, directionally challenged & periodically weed-infested trail home...

...but I made it! Amazing how effective determination & sheer terror can be!
What a beautiful crock, great to see it held together for the trip home.
Congratulations.
Screenshot_20250731_100647_Chrome.webp
 
How did you come to find it ? Did you just see it in the creek ?
I’m fully addicted to the subaqueous hunt for old bottles and crockery; my searching takes me far and wide, diving in whatever areas seem promising. On this dive, I was well into a long bottom time and was considering turning the dive, when I noticed, peripherally, a change in the colour of the bottom material to my right. I turned and moved in that direction and soon eyed the unmistakable cobalt blue colour that is typical for the design aspect of old crockery. Luckily for me, the design was face-up; otherwise, I may not have have been alerted to the colour difference that caught my attention. Reigning in my excitement, I began a careful excavation, praying it would be intact. It was 3/4’s buried in the semi-soft sediment, so it took some time, but eventually I realized, to my amazement, that it was in one piece! There ensued a very long and difficult return to my entry point and I was exhausted but joyfully relieved that I made it back with the prize still intact, as my inspection had revealed several cracks on one side and the base, which gave me pause for it’s stability. Happily, all turned out well.
 
A very nice find and PRISTEEN as can be ! I also buy old crock wear BUT none of them as nice as yours ! Yes it is a find of a life time considering it was in a stream and not chipped or completely busted ! :icon_thumleft:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom