Found a button. Is it from the Revolutionary War?

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
I found this button today in my front yard of all places. I live in Springfield, Ma, so there is a lot of colonial and Revolutionary War period items in the area. After looking at a few pictures, the crown looks like some from British buttons during the Revolutionary War. I don't know much about buttons, so if anyone could help me to identify it, I would really appreciate it. I cleaned the button with a toothpick, hydrogen peroxide and a cotton swab. I just hope I didn't ruin anything by cleaning it...

Attachments

• DSCN1407.jpg
    DSCN1407.jpg
    947.5 KB · Views: 728
  • DSCN1408.jpg
    DSCN1408.jpg
    876.3 KB · Views: 571
  • DSCN1397.jpg
    DSCN1397.jpg
    935.2 KB · Views: 590
  • DSCN1404.jpg
    DSCN1404.jpg
    955.9 KB · Views: 606
Upvote 0
Hard to see the design with the big pictures but definitely dates well after the Rev War.

Holy I-MAX theatres batman! Looks like a good button but ill leave that to the button guys.

resized your photo, hope you don't mind

Dont think its rev war related, looks like more for a sporting event.

Neat button though.

Attachments

• DSCN1407.jpg
    DSCN1407.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 632
Sorry about the photo size, I'm still getting used to the new camera.

:o

My eyeballs are still crossed after those photos! :tongue3:

The button is a couple centuries newer than the American Revolution. What you have there is a contemporary blazer or sport coat button, that carries a European style design motif. The three symbols represent the British Empire (Scotland, England, Ireland). The balls and sticks (clubs?), represent a sport (golf possibly).

CC Hunter

Good lord I can see your aura in those photos! Lol. Yep, unfortunately the button is a little late, but keep at it. I'm sure there are some in your neck of the woods waiting on you to find them.

That is so weird! I have searched this button before, and hardly anyone seems to know exactly what it is. I actually found 2 of them in the same field, but that's not the weird part-one of them was in the same hole with a civil war button! Who knows what this button went on, and who wore it....anyway, cool find. It's weird nobody knows what it is.

i've dug a handful of these so far.keep at it! like you said you are in a historic area and one of these days a rev war button will surface

I found an identical one in my yard couple of years ago - it's the St Andrews Golf Club insignia and my thought is that it is the cap from the top of a golf club shaft. I have no idea how old but could date from late 1800's to early 1900's. How one ended up in my yard - house dates from 1790's - I have no idea either! But very cool find! Photo shown is a blazer badge from St, Andrews Golf Club

Attachments

• st andrews golf club.jpg
    st andrews golf club.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 879
Last edited:
I found this button today in my front yard of all places. I live in Springfield, Ma, so there is a lot of colonial and Revolutionary War period items in the area. After looking at a few pictures, the crown looks like some from British buttons during the Revolutionary War. I don't know much about buttons, so if anyone could help me to identify it, I would really appreciate it. I cleaned the button with a toothpick, hydrogen peroxide and a cotton swab. I just hope I didn't ruin anything by cleaning it...

Like CC Hunter said its not a button from the 1700's.What you have is a 1940's or 50's , 60's modern era blazer button.Hope you find the real thing next time.

Pete

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back