What's new

Found a celt this morning

Hot diggity

Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2014
Messages
447
Reaction score
333
Golden Thread
0
I dinged it on one side with a probe & scraped it on the other with my shovel. Should still clean up well. I'll post it cleaned up later. Will give a certain someone some time before he bumps his own posts again anyway. My friend found a massive piece of archaic copper & it's a great example of how they pounded raw copper ore flat, folded over, pounded, folded, pounded etcetera.
 

Attachments

  • 1470757874324.webp
    1470757874324.webp
    24.9 KB · Views: 195
  • 1470757888725.webp
    1470757888725.webp
    38 KB · Views: 170
  • 1470757900466.webp
    1470757900466.webp
    35.1 KB · Views: 176
  • 1470757912289.webp
    1470757912289.webp
    33.2 KB · Views: 200
Upvote 0
That is an awesome celt, nice size!
 
Nice find, like the folded copper. Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:
 
Very nice! Celts are hard to come by around here. Great find
 
You don't see very many of those turning up very often and your is very nice.
 
Beautiful artifacts you and your friend found! I'm sure you will be going back to check further! Good luck!
 
Last edited:
Lot of folding and pounding but a lot of work went into a fine shaped celt such as that. Nice hunt.
 
Such a cool find. How deep in the ground was it?
 
Thanks for the replies everyone! Much appreciated. Thanks to Glenn C "for sure" for letting me post his copper find. Here is the stuff after a light brushing under water. The celt was surprisingly shallow Wes. Maybe 4 - 5 inches deep. This is the depth I usually just begin to find pottery. I attribute this to it laying flat. There was also a thick cluster of roots under it which "may" have pushed it up. It's 119mm long & 16mm thick. Thanks for looking.
 

Attachments

  • 1470875063945.webp
    1470875063945.webp
    33.6 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
This side will definitely be facing down in my case...
 

Attachments

  • 1470875127138.webp
    1470875127138.webp
    46.6 KB · Views: 115
Also found an arrowhead & thumb scraper. There was considerably more pottery & flakes I won't bother with this time.
 

Attachments

  • 1470875246769.webp
    1470875246769.webp
    34.5 KB · Views: 146
This one went unpicked by either of us & sat off to the side among rocks during our draft. Very nearly got tossed down into the river. Cleaning it I noticed one edge felt much rougher than the rest of it. A grinding, pounding & or smoothing stone. Neat little bonus.
 

Attachments

  • 1470875554955.webp
    1470875554955.webp
    37.1 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Nice find on that any chance of seeing the bit end?
 
The celt or grinding stone? I assume you mean the celt right rock. Sure, gimme a few mins.
 
The natural light is gone & this is the best I could do.
 

Attachments

  • 1470877512855.webp
    1470877512855.webp
    19.2 KB · Views: 101

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom