Found a grapeshot or musket ball off Chepiwanoxet Point

B

Bev

I went to a place about 1/4 mile off Chepiwanoxet Point in East Greenwich RI today. E. Greenwich was founded in 1677 Chepiwanoxet Point was where Gallaudet seaplane factory was in the early 1900's. It was pretty interesting to read about Gallaudet and one of the pilots, Jack McGee who was killed while testing a plane.
Anyway, I found about 5 modern pennies and this musket ball! Darn cool!!
Yesterday I went to a cellar hole for about 15 minutes (before getting kicked out by a hunter) and must have found the front door! (any idea on age?)

Attachments

• Picture 1963.jpg
    Picture 1963.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 1,364
  • Picture 1968.jpg
    Picture 1968.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 1,314
Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Bev

RIcoinhunter said:
You hunted Chepwanoxet point.I've gone fishing out there.But never MDed there a couple of brick buildings out there from the factory,I bet you got a lot of iron signals!,did you hunt the end of the point away from the buildings,in the grass areas?.Your getting around to all the spots WTG.HH

Oh, on the point itself I got a ton of iron signals. I'd dig 6 inches down to find a piece of iron the size of a needle! I also think I found what must have been a trash site with not so old aluminum cans. The rocky beach itself gave off so many signals that I just couldn't figure it out- just not enough experience. Governmental seaplanes were built and tested there and it's where Jack McGee crashed in the water and drowned back in 1918. It was originally a small island but built up to make access and a runway.
I actually found the ball in a small beach stretch at the end of Ocean Point Rd under the stone bridge (I don't mind sharing)
I do know where, but somewhere over there are tunnels that they used to smuggle liquor from the boats up to some of the mansions on the hills during prohibition. The tunnels were supposedly used to move slaves as part of the underground railroad. My father who is 75 said that a lot of the tunnels were blown up so that the kids wouldnt get into them and get hurt. Maybe next time you go out you could give me a shout.

BIGHEAD

Jan 5, 2008
Pensacola,Fla
Detector(s) used
,MXT 300, Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The door lock is like the ones in my new house which was built in the 30's. New to me any way :laughing7:

OP
OP
B

Bev

The 30's? Awesome! I love detecting but I love solving little mysteries that the items I find give me to solve!

Thank you so much guys. It's nice to deal with people that are helpful and friendly. It's a welcome change from my day to day encounters with live in-person people.

OP
OP
B

Bev

Does Grapeshot have to be round? I found a non-magnetic oval shaped form that looks like a river stone. It's an inch by inch wide and 3/4 long. It doesn't scratch or dent like lead. I found it about a mile up the coast from the musket ball.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a musketball to me. Here are some bronze Mexican grapeshot and one American (the iron one in the center) along with some huge .71 caliber Mexican musketballs. These are from the Mexican War of 1846.

Attachments

• Grape&roundballs.jpg.JPG
    Grape&roundballs.jpg.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 1,020
OP
OP
B

Bev

This is what I actually found the other day. It's still ringing metal, not magnetic and found just down the coast from my musket ball find. It doesnt mark or dent like lead and is not as heavy. It has a rust color before I rinsed it but the water looked pretty polluted over there.

Attachments

• Picture 1983.jpg
    Picture 1983.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 788

BttleDiggerDrew

Aug 12, 2010
Rockland County, NY
Bev said:
This is what I actually found the other day. It's still ringing metal, not magnetic and found just down the coast from my musket ball find. It doesnt mark or dent like lead and is not as heavy. It has a rust color before I rinsed it but the water looked pretty polluted over there.

No magnetism rules out a meteor-wrong

OP
OP
B

Bev

I thought meteorites were really heavy so I didn't think it was that, but you all were talking grapeshot I thought maybe this was something like it. Even if it's just a rock, I like it! :icon_thumright:

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Bev said:
It could be nickle...It will turn a red color after being under for a while..It looks like a bottom of a spoon from my view...I have never made it down South County detecting.Over here in northern RI there are not as many people detecting...Alot of spots not hunted...

OP
OP
B

Bev

Keep me in mind when the spring warms things up!

BlackX

Oct 7, 2006
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Explorer / Sovereign / Sidewinder
I still remember my first musket ball. I was so excited. :)

How/why did a hunter kick you out? If public land, you have as much right to be there as he(?) does.

_Rich_

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
BlackX said:
I still remember my first musket ball. I was so excited. :)

How/why did a hunter kick you out? If public land, you have as much right to be there as he(?) does.

_Rich_
I was thinking the same thing when i read that..Because i am not to fond of hunters anyway..
I most certainly would have had some questions for that hunter....
If it was public land and i was there first...I would have told him to move along..
John

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
It is a musket ball. They were certainly large. The British Brown Bess was even larger measuring approximately .69 inches.

Nice find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread