What's new

Found a Really interesting 1865 Seated Liberty Half Dollar/ 1901 Morgan Dollar

ringfinder

Silver Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2005
Messages
2,753
Reaction score
57
Golden Thread
0
Location
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are my finds from yesterday. My first coin I found yesterday, just about knocked me for a loop. It was a 1865 Seated Half Dollar and on the back of it was a Masonic symbol. Beats me what the heck it is, but I love it. Found it at a one room school house site, that my partner and I have hunted a ton of times. My buddy found a shielded nickel, but lost it somewhere in the field. Guess we will have to find that one after the crops are off this fall.

We went to another One Room school house that we had hunted many, many times. I found two V-nickels, 1901 & 1910, a Mercury Dime, 1942 D, two wheat pennies, 1912 and 1942, some sort of lead bullet, and a bunch of buttons, one of them being a Eagle button. Kinda of think the Eagle might be a War of 1812, not sure.

Not to be outdone, my hunting partner pulled out a 1901 Morgan Silver Dollar in really good shape from the last one room school house site!

The day before I found a arrowhead and a stone knife and a couple of pre-form indian relics. Can't wait for some more rain. It is really dry here in Ohio.

Here is another example of a site is never hunted out!!

All of our finds were found using a Minelab X-terra 70, awesome detector.


HH, Ringfinder
 

Attachments

  • Best Standing Liberty.webp
    Best Standing Liberty.webp
    35.2 KB · Views: 3,213
  • Best Standing Liberty.Back.webp
    Best Standing Liberty.Back.webp
    61.2 KB · Views: 3,184
  • My finds from Today.webp
    My finds from Today.webp
    63.1 KB · Views: 3,196
  • Gary holding dollar.webp
    Gary holding dollar.webp
    114.4 KB · Views: 3,243
  • close up of dollar.webp
    close up of dollar.webp
    122.5 KB · Views: 3,135
  • Back of Silver dollar.webp
    Back of Silver dollar.webp
    128.2 KB · Views: 3,492
Upvote 0
I'll have to vote banner on that awesome half. WOW!!!

That silver dollar is great too!!! Great finds...

DANGLANGLEY
 
Nice Masonic coin ...... :thumbsup:
 
How about a Masonic love token.
 
Awesome find. The half dollar is unusual. You buddy sounds like me, I have found something nice then lose it before I get back to the car. You can have the rain we are getting here in Tennessee. We are flooded.
Dman
 
wow very cool token, an engraved coin has been a notch i've wanted to take out of my belt

mikey
 
Re: Found a Really interesting 1865 Seated Liberty Half Dollar/ 1901 Morgan Doll

Love tokens come up occasionally - but the Masonic connection makes your engraved half
very unusual - BANNER- !!! Argentium.
 
Re: 1865 Seated Liberty Half Dollar/ with Freemason's back!!!

waterfalljay said:
That's wonderful! I love the old coin tokens & love token coins! :icon_thumright:

Thanks for your comment!
HH, Ringfinder
 
Re: Found a Really interesting 1865 Seated Liberty Half Dollar!!

mainer said:
That seated/token is great! Not to mention the morgan. :icon_thumright:

Thank You for your comment!

HH, Ringfinder
 
Thanks for your comment, it was truly a lucky find!

HH, Ringfinder

VERMONTPACKRAT said:
The half is truly a one of a kind :thumbsup: Some guys have all the luck ;D



VPR
 
Thanks Tomm, we have hunted these two sites almost every year, early in the spring before they are planted and then again in the fall when the crops come off. Sometimes we find something and sometimes not. You just never know. But one thing is for sure these are never hunted out.

HH, Ringfinder


TommNJ said:
Congrats on some very nice finds, it sounds like some research really paid off ! That seated is cool and congrats to your Buddy on the Morgan !

TommNJ
 
I really think you are right, I think it might have been etched by a watchmaker. Pretty neat find.

plumloko said:
That Half is incredible!
I wonder if that was done by a watchmaker.
Looks like the etching in fancy pocketwatches called damaskeening.
 
Re: Found a Really interesting 1865 Seated Liberty Half Dollar/ 1901 Morgan Doll

Thank You for your Banner vote, it's been a long time since I have made the Banner. The coin is really scratched up, but it wasn't that far down in the ground, maybe 4 or 5 inches, lots of disc marks.

HH, Ringfinder

zaxfire69 said:
Man that is one of the most beautiful coins I have ever seen dug. You are a lucky fellow to find that. I voted banner, because u and that coin deserve it. I can't stop looking at it. Congrats.
 
Thanks for your vote for my find for the Banner.

HH, Ringfinder


sscindercoop said:
Sweet masonic token\ coin!!!!! Banner they are quite collectible congrats :headbang:
 
Dman said:
Awesome find. The half dollar is unusual. You buddy sounds like me, I have found something nice then lose it before I get back to the car. You can have the rain we are getting here in Tennessee. We are flooded.
Dman

Thanks Dman, I went to a military show here in Ohio yesterday and a lot of guys said wasn't a Love Token, but it was real close and had
never seen any like it. Three of us went detecting afterwards and I found 3 ringer and one of the guys I was with found a Nazi button, you just never know what you will find in this hobby.

Hope the rain has stopped and you and Quindy can get out hunting again.


HH, Denny
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom